Sennheiser HD598 on laptop - questions about DAC/AMP and new cords!
Oct 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jjpresturd

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying either the HD558 or HD598 (I am up to date and understand all differences between the two and it only comes down to price at time of purchase).

PurpleAngel assisted me in my decision on another thread, but I wanted to open this one because while then I was decided on an Asus Xonar sound-card, I now may be selling my desktop computer and will only have my laptop. Because of this, it seems I may want to look into DAC/amps, as I can't replace the sound-card on the laptop.

What I'm wondering:
       1) what DAC/AMP (or other option) would fit well with an HD598 and a simply a laptop? Note: Portability is okay, but not a priority.
and...
        2) does replacing the 'cord' with a better one improve the quality of the HD5*8 series enough to be worth a purchase?

This forum has been an immense help, and I love the community - thanks for that!

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 5
  I'm looking into buying either the HD558 or HD598 (I am up to date and understand all differences between the two and it only comes down to price at time of purchase).

PurpleAngel assisted me in my decision on another thread, but I wanted to open this one because while then I was decided on an Asus Xonar sound-card, I now may be selling my desktop computer and will only have my laptop. Because of this, it seems I may want to look into DAC/amps, as I can't replace the sound-card on the laptop.

What I'm wondering:
       1) what DAC/AMP (or other option) would fit well with an HD598 and a simply a laptop? Note: Portability is okay, but not a priority.
and...
        2) does replacing the 'cord' with a better one improve the quality of the HD5*8 series enough to be worth a purchase?

This forum has been an immense help, and I love the community - thanks for that!

I would stay away from cable upgrades, especially for headphones under $300. But if you want a shorter cord, you can find a decent one on ebay for $30. 
As of DAC/Amp, what is your price range? There's lots of options.

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 5

What I'm wondering:
and...

The only cords I know of for the HD558/HD598 are more of a replacement, not really an improved cable.
I'm sure someone makes high quality one for $100-$200, but at that price it's better to just get better headphones.

ELE EL-D02 USB-DAC-Amp, $20
FiiO E10, USB-DAC-Amp, $75

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

The price range of those that PurpleAngel indicated are good for me - somewhere between $20-100 for sure.
Are there any iBasso in that price range that would rival the FiiO?

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 5
  Awesome, thanks for the replies.

The price range of those that PurpleAngel indicated are good for me - somewhere between $20-100 for sure.
Are there any iBasso in that price range that would rival the FiiO?

I guess Fiio is pretty hard to beat under $100. Look for a used E17. If you can find one for under $100, that's a good deal. But Fiio still is a entry level amp. HD598 likes some power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back