Sennheiser HD598 for gaming?
Feb 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xXBaconXx

New Head-Fier
Hello!
As my title states, I'm wondering of the HD598 are any good for gaming, and if not; what are some good alternatives. I will rarely use these headphones - regardless of which I buy - for music or movies. I have a pair of Shure SE315's for that. From what I've heard the main problem is that the HD598's are to lacking in bass to give proper immersion, but as I've not tried them for myself yet, I can't say that with certainty.

I know that this isn't exaclty a gaming forum, but I hoped that you could help me regardless. Also, I'm very new here, so please be gentle.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 10
I heard the 595 years ago, and would think they should be suitable. 598 as well. That said - if this is JUST gaming, I'd suggest a less expensive can (that's one of my overall favorite headphones for gaming): the Bose AE2. They have a good soundstage, healthy low end, isolate, and are forgiving of low quality audio (which isn't uncommon in games - especially older titles or user created content). They also cost less, which is nice imho.

Overall gaming audio (ime) hits a "wall" where higher end playback gear isn't really going to provide a better experience. So while a higher end open can might beat all for music, with gaming all I really worry about is long-term comfort, isolation, and decent enough imaging. The AE2 check those boxes.

I'd also suggest the AKG K701 if you want an overall good open-back headphone. They'll provide a better music experience imho, but marginal gains for gaming. If that makes sense.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 10
Out of all the headphones I have tried, the HD 598 is probably the best choice for competitive gaming. It does have some mid bass, but overall the lower end is a bit too light for my taste. I can't give an opinion about my Fidelio X1 yet, since I just purchased them today, but already I find the sound signature to be so much more satisfying to listen to than the HD 598. I think overall the HD 598 will be better for competitve gaming with the incredible soundstage and forward mids, but the Fidelio X1 is still a very good choice, and it absolutely destroys the 598 in the lower end.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 10
If you want immersion and good soundstage, I would suggest the dt990.  Great bass and bright treble will give you a very engaging sound while still being more than decent for competitive gaming.  if you don't have an amp, the I recommend the 32 ohm.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
If you want immersion and good soundstage, I would suggest the dt990.  Great bass and bright treble will give you a very engaging sound while still being more than decent for competitive gaming.  if you don't have an amp, the I recommend the 32 ohm.

This is another great suggestion too. I have not personally heard them, but have heard decent things. 

Quote:
i love my ad 700's for gaming. especially fps. a little bass boost if bass feels weak for your musical tastes.

The ad 700 is a great option too, but I feel the bass is worse in the 700s then the 598s. But I agree you can tweak the eq a bit to your liking.

I think a big thing we are leaving out is, are you going to be getting a soundcard with 3d sound effects? That's what can really give you good positional ques etc.

If you are not wanting competitive gaming positional audio sounds and are looking for more of a just all around headphone that are great for gaming enjoyment I would suggest the DT770 80ohm. I prefer them over the 880s, but have not heard the 990s like above to compare. AMAZING bass but also a great sounding headphone in the mids and highs for the price point. 

TLDR: hd598 -> dt770 80 ohm. The former being harder to drive but a decend soundcard or amp will make them shine.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
This is another great suggestion too. I have not personally heard them, but have heard decent things. 

The ad 700 is a great option too, but I feel the bass is worse in the 700s then the 598s. But I agree you can tweak the eq a bit to your liking.

I think a big thing we are leaving out is, are you going to be getting a soundcard with 3d sound effects? That's what can really give you good positional ques etc.

If you are not wanting competitive gaming positional audio sounds and are looking for more of a just all around headphone that are great for gaming enjoyment I would suggest the DT770 80ohm. I prefer them over the 880s, but have not heard the 990s like above to compare. AMAZING bass but also a great sounding headphone in the mids and highs for the price point. 

TLDR: hd598 -> dt770 80 ohm. The former being harder to drive but a decend soundcard or amp will make them shine.

I was thinking about getting the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD to go along with it. I usually don't play competitive games, only the occasional CS match, so I don't really feel the need for surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back