Sennheiser HD598 for Christmas...not impressed yet.
Dec 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #16 of 61

Quote:
I've recently started trying the reverse of what I've been doing: Listen to music I've never heard before so I can hear what is sounds like on the Senns before the Grados. I have to say, I'm still liking the Grados better thus far. The Sennheiser certainly have more detail and soundstage, but I don't feel the core emotionality of the music like I do on the Grado; it's more like, "oh, that's a cool effect. Oh, now there's another sound from over there. What is this song about again?," whereas with the Grados I'm getting, "wow, this is an awesome song."

Maybe it is partially just what I'm used to. I'll give it more time.

Hmm, it seems like the aggressiveness of the Grados maybe more to your liking?  Sometimes trying different headphone, goes to further reinforce a person's headphone preference.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #17 of 61
I went through something similar with the OP.

Went from HD580's which seemed like a 'boring' pair of headphones to some Grado SR125's, ultimately to some SR225's which is what I still use today.

The Sennheisers aren't a bad sounding headphone at all, but my ears just prefer the bright/forward signature of the Grado.

I don't think even thousands of hours of burn-in are going to change the signature of the headphones significantly enough to notice a big difference. You either like them or don't.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #18 of 61
Update after a few days break-in and listening:

I can, by no means, say this is a bad headphone. The quality and detail is wonderful. I've noticed plenty of details in my music I never heard with the SR-80's

...but they're just not FUN. The most telling thing is trying out new music I've never heard: I find I simply find the music more interesting with the Grado. I guess my ADD, prog-rock and metal soul craves the quick/upfront sound.

Question is where to go from here - Keep the 598's (it's not like they're unlistenable, and they'e much better than the Grados for recording.

Or, a return them for a similar priced headphone: SR-225i, ATH-M50, Fischer FA-003, etc.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #19 of 61
i keep telling people, if you don't like the sound first time you hear, then days/weeks/months later you won't either. only burn-in you'll be doing then is all psychological in my opinion.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #21 of 61
Even if burn in exists, it wouldn't change drastically. If you listen to a lot of classical pieces, I'd advice you to return the HD598 and get the HD600. No regrets or disappointments, I can assure you.

EDIT: A bit irrelevant on classical (OP listens to metal, etc)

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #22 of 61

Quote:
Question is where to go from here - Keep the 598's (it's not like they're unlistenable, and they'e much better than the Grados for recording.

I'd tell you my experience with the hd595 instead (similar, at least to what you describe).
I love them with "ambient"  music,  listen to this, and tell me if it's not great:

(Hammock - Always Wishing You Were Somewhere Else )

Or that:

(jonsi alex- 1904)

Your hd598 might seem boring, but you have to realize that they are great to relax too.
Just keep them, and when you are a bit tired , use them and relax ....

Also I found my hd595 relatively neutral (I guess, it's better with hd598) ; so that 's nice if you want to do some eq-ing

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #23 of 61
I do not think Burn-in changes the core sound...hell, I don't think anyone thinks that. But he thought the bass sounded flabby, the detail wasn't there, etc. which I do think burn in improves. My M50s were with me for a month and I thought I burned them in pretty nicely and I liked the sound a good amount. But then for a couple days I just rammed some serious EQ'd bass in them for awhile and then it just seemed like they just...."opened up". Didn't really know how to explain it. The details were more present, the bass sounded more controled, and one thing that was funny was they seemed a lot less forgiving. For like the first time, I could distinctly hear some differences between FLAC and 320 or VBR without really intently listening. I thought it was just psychological so I stayed off the EQ for a couple days and listened to my AD700s for awhile. Nope, came back and while the shock was gone, it was just as improved.

So while I do think burn in does exist, I am not a believer in that it will wildly change a headphones sound signature yet. If there are distinct qualities you don't like(like not liking how they attack or aren't "intimate" enough), I do not think that'll change. Maybe using different sources and amps might(not experienced at all in that field) but not burn in.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #24 of 61

Quote:
I do not think that'll change. Maybe using different sources and amps might(not experienced at all in that field) but not burn in.

I think the hd598 are just slow, which sucks for metal and to a lesser extent rock.
The guy just have to try to different kind of music that better suits these headphone, or give up with them.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #25 of 61
Oh that's for sure, just from reading around here, I would not recommend the 598's for a guy who mainly listens to metal and hard rock. Not that they'd suck on average but there are just better phones out there for those things.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #26 of 61

If you're feeling flat on the HD598, love the SR80i - don't get the M50, high chance you will
not be very impressed unless you're seeking reasonable bass impact, their treble is
pretty average + you'd be going back to a closed can for metal - not a good idea.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #27 of 61

Quote:

If you're feeling flat on the HD598, love the SR80i - don't get the M50, high chance you will
not be very impressed unless you're seeking reasonable bass impact, their treble is
pretty average + you'd be going back to a closed can for metal - not a good idea.

What's so bad about a closed can with metal? Just curious btw, not really a metal head.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #28 of 61

Quote:
What's so bad about a closed can with metal? Just curious btw, not really a metal head.

Lack of separation on the M50 versus the SR80i makes it sound congested and artificial.
 The sound stage sounds boxed in, SR80i on bowls has decent sound stage depth.

Plus the M50's treble is just not a personal preference of mine with metal, it ranges
 from occasional harshness to a lack of extension on a high.

Not to mention guitar reproduction overall on the Grado is far superior.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #29 of 61
Those are nice tracks, but I think it hits on something regarding my listening habits:

I'm a very active listener. I like energy, drama, and lots of changes in my music. I know a lot of people like to use music to space-out and relax, but that's never been for me. There are some ambient elements to the stuff I like. To that effect, let me return the gift of music and show you my latest obsession (and partly what I've been using to test out my headphones):

also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwPt1eNF9A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGkV0QFnyHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9K_QrdIaQ&feature=related
...if you like it, there's tons more where that came from.

For me, even though there's atmosphere, the Grados still do a better job engaging me in this kind of music, even though they miss details the Senns pick up.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #30 of 61
I wasn't talking about the M50, just closed headphones in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back