Sennheiser HD598 cable replacement suggestions
Dec 30, 2014 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jbmorrey

500+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD598 and would like to get a different set of cables for them as the ones that come with it are difficult to work with. The connection for the plug to my iPhone is bulky. I heard that you can get cables that actually improve the performance of the headphones and would not require an adapter to hook up to my iPhone, is this so? What are the best cables that you can recommend? Thanks so much.

James

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 10
Hello,

I bought the 598 headphones recently, and found that Sennheiser have a 3.5mm cable which they don't seem to advertise very well. It's perfect for using with an iPhone or laptop etc. On Amazon UK it's labelled as: Sennheiser HD 5X8 Replacement Headphone Cable 1.2m -hope this helps :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I heard about that replacement cable. I was curious if this is an upgraded cable. I have heard of " better" cables that can improve the sound quality. Are these types of cables available? If not then those Sennheiser cables will be what I wind up getting.

James

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 10

I don't have any knowledge myself of third-party cables, but my guess is that with an iPhone the quality bottleneck is probably the sound source rather than the cable. That's totally just a guess though!

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Cables make nearly zero difference. For HD598 and its locking mechanism cable, you either get the Sennheiser replacement one (mentioned above) or the one sold on Ebay/Amazon by only one seller.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 10
I have bought two cheapos on ebay before. They both sounded the same, but both different than stock. They went better with my iphone unamped, but I prefer the stock with my amps. Most people say cables don't do anything, but... so what.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 10

For Christmas, I got the ZY replacement cable from my Amazon wish list. I wanted it because the 78-foot-long cabe with the huge bulky connector was a huge pain to deal with.

No, it doesn't sound any better, but there are some decided advantages, especially if you're a portable DAP user like me. Having the smaller jack is a big deal. The weight and length of the old one was putting stress on the headphone out jack and making it loose. The long length was constantly getting caught on things and pulling either the headphones off my head or the DAP out of my hand or pocket. So this is a HUGE practical improvement and very much worth it. I'll never use the old one again.

Plus, it looks super-cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back