Sennheiser HD598 and amplifier
Jan 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elmuano

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new here. I bought a HD598 and a FiiO E07K and have been listening to Tidal Hi Fi. I'm not very experienced but I want to get the best out of it. I can't hear a difference with our without the amplifier. Any advise as to this? Should the amp improve the audio but maybe my ears need to gain more experience? Or do those headphones not need one?

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 8
What source exactly do you plug the HD598 into, without using the E07K?

I like to think of the HD598 as amplifier optional
(I own the HD558)
Fairly easy to drive, so works decently without a dedicated headphone amplifier, but can improve with a headphone amplifier.
The E07K comes with a decent headphone amplifier, but not a very powerful one.
You might consider getting something like the Bravo Ocean tube headphone amplifier.

Here is a nice aftermarket cable for the HD598.
Comes with a 3.5mm plug and one of five lengths.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for replying!
I use my Chromebook and stream high quality music (Tidal).
Now it's my understanding the FiiO E07K is also a DAC that converts digital to analog therefore improving the audio source.
I really thank your cable and amp suggestion. Actually I bought a Belden 1192A after reading some forums but it's useless because I'm not an electrician and can't get anyone in town to do correctly. I will just probably look at the one you mentioned. Now that amp, does it need a DAC too? And last, is this all worth t, is this a noticeable improvement?

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for replying!
Now it's my understanding the FiiO E07K is also a DAC that converts digital to analog therefore improving the audio source.
I really thank your cable and amp suggestion. Actually I bought a Belden 1192A after reading some forums but it's useless because I'm not an electrician and can't get anyone in town to do correctly. I will just probably look at the one you mentioned. Now that amp, does it need a DAC too? And last, is this all worth t, is this a noticeable improvement?

As Purple Angel has said, the 598 are fairly easy to drive. I do not notice a dramatic difference between mine when amplified and when unamplified. I suspect you will find similar results.

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for replying!

Weird that the E07K did not improve audio quality, over the Chromebook's headphone jack.
Might be some factors in there that are not understood.
Like how good is the quality of the Tidal music.
What program is used on the Chromebook that plays the music audio.
How much power the Chrome book provides to the USB port.
Maybe the Chromebook comes with decent on-board audio.
Maybe the Chromebook comes with a decent built in DAC chip.

If you had access to something like a modern A/V receiver, and plug the HD598 into it.
Modern receivers usually provide fairly decent amount of power the the headphone jack, so might give you an idea on how the HD598 sound with a more powerful amplifier.

The Bravo ocean does not come with a DAC feature.
But you can plug the Bravo Ocean directly into the Chromebook's headphone jack, so the DAC chip built into the Chromebook would provide the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) function.

You could also buy an aftermarket DAC, maybe the Hifimediy $42 or $57 DAC?
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

It might come down to how much you would be willing to spend for an external amp or external DAC/amp?

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 8
The quality of Tidal is supposed to be the best, and its played through its website. I'm already impressed with the quality of the headphones to pick details. But like I said no change with the amp, or could be my ear. I'll keep an eye on the details, maybe I can pick some change. At least the amp works as an equalizer and to provide extra volume when needed, but normally I don't need either. Also I use zero gain on it, I heard that's the best setting? Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back