Sennheiser hd595 vs. Grado SR-80 vs. E3c
Apr 15, 2005 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RT_Bisco

New Head-Fier
Hello..I'm looking for a allround(outdoor/indoor) headphone. My source is iriver h10 and I want to know wich of these are the best ( I'm not able to try them out where I live ). I tried my friends hd555 but I felt that they wasn't worth their price.
I listen to roch pop and some rap...so does an equalized e3c match sr-80 and 595 ? What´s is it that the e3s doesn't match. I'm gooing to be able to eq the treble and bas...but what abut the wide of the sound ?
Wich should I choose and why.

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 16
595's and sr80's are open and not very good for outdoor use (unless it's pretty quiet outside, and you won't bother anyone with the noise). if you want to use them portably then definitely go for the e3c's.

for home use, i dont think the e3c's will match the 595's sound, and probably not the sr80's, though i've never heard those. the e3c's have rolled off treble, and while you can eq them pretty well, they wont have the flat response of the 595's.

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 16
I've owned all the phones you've mentioned, and they're all quite different with the exception of the 555s and 595s.

I don't have the SR80s anymore but I acutally think of them as having a pretty warm bass and midrange, but bright/uneven treble. They're a fun sound but were too fatiguing for me.

If you didn't like the 555s then stay away from the 595s, they're very similar.

As for the e3cs, I wouldn't consider them warmer than the Senns or Grados. I think they have a more natural sound which I eq'd a bit to tweak the mid-range down and bass up. They sounded good but canalphones hurt my ears so I sold them.

If you want warm maybe e2c's are a good bet. I auditioned them quick a few weeks ago and to my ears they were fun/warm compared to the e3cs, but still had rolled off highs like most (all?) canalphones in that price range.

Apr 15, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RT_Bisco
okey...but the difference isn't huge then ? If i didn't like hd555 and want something warmer ..shouldn't I go for e3c ?

The HD595 is warmer, richer, clearer than the HD555 enough to make it -the- deal notwithstanding the actual basic similarities and the price difference.
It can't be beat for its "sum of (sonic) virtues" around the 200$ mark.

Apr 15, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

But doesn't hd 595 destoys EQ e3c in terms of soundquality ?

Absolutely, there's no comparing the two IMO. I assumed from your first post that you didn't like the 555s, bad assumption now that I re-read it. Can you describe why you weren't satisfied with the 555s sound?

Apr 15, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 16
well..I liked teh sound..but I don't think that they was worth 150 $ .
As said before...my source is a iriver h10 with 18W output...It maybe the player who makes them sound bad for their price. I listen to the porta pro and they were to dark and bassy..I liked the sennheiser more then then the koss.

I can get the hd 595 for 165$ ..pretty good price for a store in sweden...but the wire and size of them doesn't make them so portable,right ? I want all-around cans .

Apr 15, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 16
have you thought about sony sa1000? they're great for rock, pop, rap... more upfront and impactful than 595 and alot more comfortable than sr80. They're the best deal in headphones imo.

Apr 16, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

...but the wire and size of them doesn't make them so portable,right ? I want all-around cans .

The jack itself could also be a problem depending on use. It needs a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for portable use, jack & adapter make about 7cm sticking out of your iRiver.

595s are great all around cans...they're very good at everything and actually great with piano, just not the best for portable due to being open and rather large.

For portable use maybe some closed options? Of the cuff here I'd mention Senn HD25-1s (not HD25-SP), or maybe Audio-Technica FC7. They both get pretty frequent mention but with varied opinions.

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
have you thought about sony sa1000? they're great for rock, pop, rap... more upfront and impactful than 595 and alot more comfortable than sr80. They're the best deal in headphones imo.

But... Do they have a midrange?
biggrin.gif
(I read gsferrari and this I questioned)

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #13 of 16
I don't think the HD 595 pairs well with mp3 (low rate)....I can't comment on the high bits one since I don't listem to them. Better go with Grados if its pop and rock based on the popular opinion here.

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33

What headphones are these? First time I've heard about the sa1000 here on headfi. compared to the hd25, how do they fare?

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
What headphones are these? First time I've heard about the sa1000 here on headfi. compared to the hd25, how do they fare?

That's one of the new Sony models. I don't know how they compare to the HD25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back