Sennheiser HD595 replacement cable?
Dec 16, 2005 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a replacement cable I can use besides the stock one? I'm on my third cable now from Sennheiser, and I keep having problems of audio cutting out of the right ear. I know it's the cable because if I twist around the end that plugs into my soundcard, it'll cut in and out.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 9
Unless your soundcard has a 1/4" jack, you're probably using the supplied adaper, right?

My guess is it's either the adapter or your soundcard jack, and not the cable. Those adapters are cheap. I broke mine within two days of owning the HD 595.

The Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter is well liked.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 9
I have the same problem with mine. Just got them this past Tuesday. If I wiggle and twist right, I can get it to stay and play out of both drivers. Probably losing some quality through it though, but oh well. I'll have my front bay in soon with a 1/4" jack.

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 9
The 1/4in to 1/8th in adapter that comes with the 595's puts huge strain on the jack, causing connection problems with lower quality jacks. You say you are having problems with the cable, which by your description isn't the case at all. You are having problem with the connection between your mini plug and the output of your soundcard. There is nothing 'wrong' with the cable. As suggested, try a Grado adapter that has some cabling between both ends, thereby releving strain on the jack on your sound card.

The Cardas 1/4in connector (mark 1) doesn't fit very well into Neutrik combo XLR/1/4in jacks, causing the exact problem you are having. There is nothing 'wrong' with the connector, cable, or jack - it's just a slight mismatch as allowed by the specifications.

Finally, did you try anything else connected to your sound card? It sounds like there could even be a problem with the output connector itself, which would show up on any pair of headphones. Test it out.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 9
The problem is the headphones, not the sound card. I've tried the 595s in other sources, and I get the same problem. When I plug other things into my soundcard they are fine.

I'll try my 595s using only the native 1/4" plug sometime this weekend to see if the adapter is the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back