Sennheiser HD595 or AKG K701/2
Dec 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K702 is in a much higher class of headphone.

I thought the 702 drivers were exactly the same as the 701. The only differences being the colour and the cable?

Don't forget that the 701 and 702 take a long time to settle. You may be disappointed on the first hearing. They are the first headphone where I really heard quite a large change in sound.

Ian

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
........however, it does not completely render the upper mid-range/treble harmonics of clarinets and violins. When a lot of instruments are playing together, you get the sensation that clarinets at times get lost in the mix, sounding a little thin, distant and smaller than life.......

I have emphasised the above because it is interesting when you you read this short biography of Antony Michaelson, the founder of Mucial Fidleity

Musical Fidelity exists because of one man's passion for music and hi-fi. That man is Antony Michaelson. He's a classically-trained clarinettist with a number of recordings to his credit and his love of music has driven his burning desire to make hi-fi which really sounds like music.
A HI-FI system should be transparent, to reproduce the melody, harmony, rhythm, spatial relationships and ambiance of the music exaxtly as intended by those who made the recording.
And that's why Musical Fidelity are fanatical about every aspect of audio design.

Are you sure that it is the K702s that are doing that and not the amp, source or the original recording?

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the 702 drivers were exactly the same as the 701. The only differences being the colour and the cable?

Specifications for the K701 off the AGK site.....

Headphones weight without cable (g) 235
Sensitivity (dB/mW, dB/V*) 105
Audio bandwidth (Hz to kHz) 10-39,8
Max. input power (mW) 200
Rated impedance (ohms) 62
Convertible jack plug (1/4" to 1/8")
Replaceable ear pads
Patented self-adjusting headband
Exclusive leather headband
Unbreakable metal arches
99.99% oxygen-free cable (length in m) 3
Single-sided cable
Hard gold-plated jack plug and contacts
Patented Varimotion diaphragms
2-Layer diaphragm
Flat-wire voice coil
Open-back, dynamic headphones
NdFe magnets
Suited for (SA)CD, DVD(A), DAT

- and for the K702

nothing there. Odd to say the least. The site I visited is here; AKG START

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #49 of 60
AKG K701 and K702 are the same thing. K701 is meant for general consumer/audiophile while the K702 is meant for studio use hence the sturdy construction and removable cable. Sonically, they are same to same.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #50 of 60
Yes, it looks like the same ...

K 702 - Specifications

Monitoring
Mastering
Mixing
K 702

Type open-back, dynamic headphones
Sensitivity 105 dB/V
Frequency range 10 to 39,800 Hz
Rated impedance 62 ohms
Max. input power 200 mW
Cable 3 m single-sided (99,9% oxygen-free)
Connector gold plated stereo jack plug 6.3 mm (1/4")
Adapter gold plated convertible jack plug 3.5/6.3 mm (1/4" to 1/8")
Net weight (without cable) 235 g (8.3 oz.)

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #51 of 60
thank you all for your help. I just pulled the trigger on the K702. I'll try to be patient waiting for it to my door steps. 3 to 4 weeks is not that bad... not that bad... not that bad...
In the mean while, I can spend more time research the amp to pair with this.
going to the full sized amp forum now
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #52 of 60
I just got my HD595's. These are my first pair of ''hifi'' headphones. I have to say I'm pleased but not yet blown away exactly. Although I'm letting them burn in now so I really hope that the sound will transform into something much better in many hours.

The sound is exciting for me but so far I remember enjoying my friend's pair of Beats more. Before everyone goes all insane, that pair of Beats was probably burned in for a long time.

Thing is though, the thing that's most definitely annoying me the most is the sound leakage. I mean, I knew it's an open phone and all but I really didn't expect it to be this bad. I hope I find a way later on to make the leakage much less while still enjoying the music and without ruining my ears.

So far, I'm a bit dissapointed but hey...I got it for 109 euros incl. shipping so that must be quite the steal. I'm sure they'll get much better with lots of burn-in like everyone is suggesting.

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have emphasised the above because it is interesting when you you read this short biography of Antony Michaelson, the founder of Mucial Fidleity

Musical Fidelity exists because of one man's passion for music and hi-fi. That man is Antony Michaelson. He's a classically-trained clarinettist with a number of recordings to his credit and his love of music has driven his burning desire to make hi-fi which really sounds like music.
A HI-FI system should be transparent, to reproduce the melody, harmony, rhythm, spatial relationships and ambiance of the music exaxtly as intended by those who made the recording.
And that's why Musical Fidelity are fanatical about every aspect of audio design.

Are you sure that it is the K702s that are doing that and not the amp, source or the original recording?

Not sure...

That's what I am trying to find out!

I have the K701 with the stock cable and the stock cable is known to be of average quality.

I have the Headroom Ultra Micro, a SS amp built upon the same components as the Desktop Max.

I am curious to know what a X-Can V8/SPL Phonitor/Lehmann Black Cube would have done to the sound....

I have high quality interconnects running from my Cambridge 640C to the amp.

Recording.... well this one:

The Mozart Collection

In Track No. 11, a clarinet enters the mix during the first few minutes of the track.

On my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1: Transparency and resolution is lower than the K701, but the clarinet cuts through the mix with ear-filling sweetness... it sounds large, distinct and prominent. Upper midrange and treble are very very linear, thanks to the Wharfedale's beautifully engineered tweeter.

On the Shure E4C: Distinctly warmer than both the K701 and the Diamond 9.1, but leaner than the Diamond 9.1.

On the K701: Bags of resolution! You can hear low level details and a lot of background 'fuzz', but alas... the clarinet although very similar in terms of tonality to the Wharfedale, plays hide and seek behind the other players.

It is just a wee bit anorexic, not cutting through the orchestra as cleanly as it does on the Diamond 9.1.

Did I make things clear?
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

I am curious to know what a X-Can V8.......would have done to the sound....

........On the K701: Bags of resolution! You can hear low level details and a lot of background 'fuzz', but alas... the clarinet although very similar in terms of tonality to the Wharfedale, plays hide and seek behind the other players.

It is just a wee bit anorexic, not cutting through the orchestra as cleanly as it does on the Diamond 9.1.

Did I make things clear?
smile.gif

Antony Michaelson recommended AKG to me. He was very enthiusiastic about the old K1000s, but they were way way out of my budget, so next best was the K702s.

I cant help with that specific recording, but in terms of detail and neutrality MF with AKG makes a very good match.

Along with the above recommendation, I had noticed that many MF amp users on this and other forums had AKGs as their cans. So there is a synergy between the two products.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerd123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thing is though, the thing that's most definitely annoying me the most is the sound leakage. I mean, I knew it's an open phone and all but I really didn't expect it to be this bad. I hope I find a way later on to make the leakage much less while still enjoying the music and without ruining my ears.......

The open backed AKGs are just as bad at sound leakage. Any opened backed can leaks sound, as do many closed backed cans, just not as much.

There is no way the open backed design should be ruining your ears. Only excessive volume can do that.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #56 of 60
Yeah you know I kinda feel like I expected too much. I'm letting it burn in now for the rest of the night at quite low volume so I don't disturb my sleeping parents. I hope I really will notice a difference after a lot of burn in.

It's a very revealing headphone though. 128kbp files sound like complete **** while 320kbp obviously really shine. But I don't know, aside from the leakage I just kinda expected more from the sound. I mean these are supposed to have a pretty good soundstage but sometimes I still feel it's all a bit muddy. Like I can't pick out every detail as well as I want it to be. Like when a guitar solo comes up, it sometimes feels like it's in the background.

Am I expecting too much? Or will a long burn-in really change these cans? I don't totally regret my purchase but I kinda hoped for a little more. They are really comfortable though, I give them that...

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

On my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1: Transparency and resolution is lower than the K701, but the clarinet cuts through the mix with ear-filling sweetness... it sounds large, distinct and prominent. Upper midrange and treble are very very linear, thanks to the Wharfedale's beautifully engineered tweeter.

I'm using Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 as my main speakers. I thought I was the only using Wharfedale speakers in the world. No body I know even heard of the brand... even I didn't know anything about it before I listened to it at the store. I preferred it's sound over many other popular brands.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

It is 3:15 am and I will try to explain the flaws in brief.
smily_headphones1.gif
The K701 has loads of transparency and resolution; however, it does not completely render the upper mid-range/treble harmonics of clarinets and violins. When a lot of instruments are playing together, you get the sensation that clarinets at times get lost in the mix, sounding a little thin, distant and smaller than life. This is not due to lack of bass/midbass/warmth. This is due to the slight inability to render instrumental texture, complete and fleshed out.
The right amp and cable might address this, I guess. More on this and sample tracks later! But, this flaw isn't a deal breaker, it just makes the upper mids a bit bland.

I notice that in your sig you say that you are using a Cambridge 640C as your source. Having owned the DacMagic, which from what I understand is very similar in sound to the 640C, I found that the overall tonality was extremely lacking. I noticed many of the things you described above, regardless of headphone, speaker, or amp choice. Of course tubes helped to artificially enhance some of that missing tonality, but in the end it was just too dry of a sound for me. Once I upgraded to the DL III, I entered a whole new realm of warmth, timbral accuracy, and tonality. It brought my system closer to the sound of vinyl, IMO.

Just wanted to point this out in case you ever fault any other headphones for being overly dry...you may want to consider a source change if you are continuously noticing this trend.

Edit: I should also add that having good power conditioning for your source helps to improve instrument texture. I have a PS Audio UPC-200 that was just laying around not being used, and today I hooked it back up to my headphone rig and instantly noticed an improvement in timbre and instrument textures.

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #59 of 60
Burn in really does change the 595's. With amping you would notice an immediate and big difference if you don't want to wait. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but with the 595's the burn-in kind of never stops.... that is, they just keep sounding better month after month and year after year.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #60 of 60
Burn in really does change the 595's. With amping you would notice an immediate and big difference if you don't want to wait. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but with the 595's the burn-in kind of never stops.... that is, they just keep sounding better month after month and year after year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back