Sennheiser HD595...not that great - why?
Aug 31, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #31 of 42
I agree with you.
After +200 hours of usage in one year ago, I find my 595's sound muffled/muddy
frown.gif

I'm not a Senn killer
biggrin.gif

At first, I was very happy with it, but now
frown.gif

Very flat sound (especially in bass) -> Mid-Fi sound not Hi-Fi
but the main problem is muffled/muddy sound !!!
I'm not sure about my source/cable.
I'll check them
wink.gif

I can't believe that an amp makes its sound better
frown.gif

You know that It's very difficult to explain the sound experience !

Please discuss more about HD595 !

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #32 of 42
Not to encourage resurrecting a year-old thread, but AFAIK the 595 is the same headphone today as it was then, so it might still be fair game.

As far as I can tell from your signature, you're running the x-fi directly into the 595s, which could be part of your problem. I know the 595 are supposed to be the Sennheisers that don't need an amp, but to my ears they greatly benefit from one. I ran them briefly through a Millett Hybrid and they sang like they had never sang before. You might want to listen to them through a decent amp (believe it or not), or try a livelier pair of low-impedance phones. The standard Grado SR-80s jump to mind, if you haven't heard them before.

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #33 of 42
I tried properly burnt in HD595s directly from soundcard, with an integrated amp, with cheap solid states, with my Millet, with the Aria and with that new Beyer 1000$ creature.

They never really sang.

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoStones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mp3 128?
as in low bitrate mp3s?

maybe 595s are showing the bads of the mp3s?

Sorry if I'm wrong, I'm new to all of this, please correct me if this is the case

128kbps MP3s are very noticeable with the 595s. See if some lossless goodness makes a difference!
580smile.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #37 of 42
Yeah I agree with P.J that HD595 is not a mid-fi headphone. Its HiFi, people don't spend 250-350 USD to get Mid-Fi gear. I know you can spend thousands on headphones, but that's just not normal. And considering the headphones professional musicians use are around 200-300 USD, I think my opinion is valid.

Edit: Also when you purchase them, they are under the Audiophile or HiFi category online and in stores. Just cause you may have gear beyond the imagination of what most people would ever consider buying does not make these Mid-Fi

BTW I also love how when person complains about the phones, other reply saying there is something wrong. As other previous posts say, clearly its just these phones are not for you. Need more stores that have a great selection of phones to demo so people don't buy them blind. Shame to spend that kind of money and not know whether you'll love them or hate them

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the exception of the HD555, this sound signature is different to all the other full size headphones and IEMs I have heard. I do like the HD595 but often they don't really do it for me, especially with rock. Maybe "muffled" isn't the best word to describe what I'm hearing but the treble/upper midrange is very laid back/underemhpasised in general compared with other headphones I own or have heard. The soundstage also feels somewhat artificial and distant to me. This signature seems to work very well with some of the classical and acoustic music I have. I can certainly understand others liking that signature over a wider range of genres but I definitely don't think these headphones are going to sound great to everyone.

These are interesting comments, because my opinion of the 595 is almost wholly positive. I find them amazingly neutral and find they give an often quite stunning representation of what I hear in the concert hall. I've compared them at length with the 650 and much prefer the 595, interestingly for the reasons you've listed above: they have a more laidback upper midrange/lower treble. I found the 650 (and 580 & 600) too bright in that area; even after perservering for several weeks (believing--wrongly--that if I listened long enough I'd eventually perceive their superiority) I found them harsh and forward. This I believe is what polarises so many when it comes to the 595, this relative lack of energy in the upper midrange/lower treble area, a characteristic likely to impress those seeking a very natural sound on acoustic music over long periods but dismay those wanting instant punch and attack with rock. This no doubt is why so many have described them as "boring"--it depends on the kind of music you listen to and what you expect from it. As I say, I want to simulate the sound of a symphony orchestra, probably the most difficult of all "instruments" to reproduce, and I find the 595 is able to do that better than any other phone I've heard--and I've heard most. At the same time I understand why others, with different music and different criteria, are unimpressed. I recently bought myself a pair of Audio Technica AT AD900s, and after a sufficient burn-in time did an extensive comparison with the 595. Well, I realized very soon I was wasting my time; the AT just didn't come close to any sort of sound I could live with---I sold it a week later. Yet I've read posters here raving about the AD900, and that's fine by me if it suits their needs. Similarly with the Grado sound. I had an SR80 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough, yet to others (particularly British reviewers!) it's the Holy Grail. That's why I've said here before, and say again, that it's pointless commenting on any phone without stating what music you listen to, what your amplification is, the kind of sound you want and expect, and what you feel is wrong with your present phone. Without that info threads just become an endlessly looping, "Yeah, I agree; I've always hated that phone," "Gee, mine sounds great; maybe there's something wrong with your soundcard".

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #39 of 42
HD595's are great headphones, sounding very natural from the first tones when you wear them on. Not many headphones give this impressions. In most cases you hear something unnatural and your ears adjust to the new reality. HD595's have not the broadest but very spatial and mpressive soundstage. However you need decent source connected with a good cable (yes, yes, interconnect also matters) to matching headphone amp. My friends can confirm that Millet Hybrid is not a good companion for them, it's much more intended for the HD580's. HD595's need well chosen SS amp or tube amp. When well amped and fed with music of decent quality (better not lossy compression) they can show differences between presentation of the soundstage, tonality, impact and precision in different amps and even interconnects. What makes them great is also the fact that your hearing doesn't get fatigued or temporarily corrupted after long listening. As an opposite I could mention AKG K701. They have a primitive resonance on lower trebles which makes percussion sounding undetailed and too bright. It's no real sound at all, and after a couple of minutes of listening to them I get partially deaf. I hear people talking to me like when I put my fingers into ear canals. My guess is that AKG K701 were tuned for old people or for those with permanent hearing handicap. HD595 are for people with sensitive and good hearing, giving additional pleasure because of lower midrange being a bit emphasized and allowing better recognition of the acoustics.

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #40 of 42
The HD595s aren't for everyone. They also aren't for every sort of music. I use my proLINE 750s for rock and heavier things, and the neutral sound of the 595s is for classical and jazz. I dare anyone to find a better can at the pricepoint for latin jazz music.

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #41 of 42
as others have said...the HD595 sound might NOT be for u...

but the 128kbps MP3s could also be the cause...as i find theyre not that forgiving to bad encoding.

myself i dont like it either...i personally think the HD595 is overhyped...but thats just me and my opinion...and i know that the Senn house sound is NOT for me. be it on lossless or 128kbp MP3s.

but since u have it amped....a cheap way could be to try out a 75 or 100 ohm impedance adapter. the 100ohm to me helped improve the sound of the HD595s. it made everything more balanced imho. but still laid back and although it did sound better...it still didnt do it for me... my colleague (who owns the HD595s i tested) absolutely loved the 100ohm impedance adapter and he uses it constantly now.

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #42 of 42
I can't explain my new problem very well
frown.gif

sometimes, I love it (especially at first of my listening) and sometimes, I got muddy sound (especially in some of the musics)
frown.gif

I think my 595 has problem (It has been made in china)
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back