Sennheiser HD595 Full Review
Jul 17, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #16 of 22
I still don't like them
smily_headphones1.gif
but it was a nice balanced review.

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #17 of 22
Very nice review, thanks! The only thing missing was some comparisons between the 595 and 555. As I've said before- you are one of the very few people here who own both and could do justice to a detailed comparison.
cool.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
Very nice review, thanks!

No, thank YOU.

Quote:

The only thing missing was some comparisons between the 595 and 555. As I've said before- you are one of the very few people here who own both and could do justice to a detailed comparison.

Good point. I've been reluctant to do this because I have the older 120-ohm (Made in Ireland) 595s and the 50-ohm 555s and I keep one set at home and one at work so it's hard to A/B them. But I think I've now had them both long enough to say something vaguely intelligent. (Incidentally, I bought the 555s for work because I liked the 595s so much for home that I was no longer happy with the CD780s I had at work.)

Overall tonal balance between the two is similar, though I find the HD555s somewhat weaker in the bass department and they roll off a little more at the very highest frequencies. Overall, though, I think the HD555s have similar kind of balance and sound good across a similarly wide range of music.

On the other hand, I think the 555s are a little bit worse than the 595s at most things. The soundstange isn't as deep, the bass isn't as tight, the mids arent' quite as articulated, and the highs are not quite as clear. Overall there's less detail. It's not that the 555s are especially bad here, though, just not as good as the 595s.

On the other hand, the 555s cost me less than half what the 595s did. I paid $99 for the 555s (on sale at NewEgg), and if that's your price point, I think the 555s are a really outstanding all-around choice. But they are indeed not as good as the 595s. Are the 595s twice as good? For some people, yes, but not for everyone. If I had to do it all over again I'd still have 595s as my main cans, so I guess for me it was.

That help, Murdoch?

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #20 of 22
Compared to the HD545 and the HD600 I have to say, that the HD595 (50 ohms version) is not able to sound better to my ears.

Having listened hundreds of hours with each of them, I still prefer the HD600 over the HD545 which, on the other hand, I prefer compared to the HD595.

The HD595 sure has a good midrange sound but its bass is to unprecise while its highs are to flat.

OK, the HD545 has a all about flat sound compared to the HD600, but it's more analytic than the HD595.

The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (taken a good recording of them, like for example "Eine Alpensinfonie, Richard Strauss, conductor: Christian Thielmann, label: Deutsche Grammophon, SACD") only sounds together with the HD600 NEARLY like they sound live in concert sitting in a first category place.
With the HD595 they really sound like sh** ... uhm... I mean sitting behind a wooden wall.
blink.gif

Conclusion:
The HD595, for which I've payed 100 Euros, are not worth the money.
Stay away from them, if you want to listen to classical music.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 22
Very nice review. I have owned lots of different headphones and all of them had their pluses and negatives. But I find the 595 with their comfort and none fatiguing sound to be my favorite headphone at this time. I can listen for long music sessions with lots of different music and very happy with the sound. I am not saying the 595 are the best cans but am saying in a mid-fi system the 595 are one great headphone.

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 22
Excellent review of the HD595. I think it's a great value priced around US$200. Although the price differential with the HD6x0 might not be much, it doesn't require heavy-duty amplification to sound good. Compared to the HD6x0, it's much easier to drive and even sounds decent directly from an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back