Sennheiser hd595 frustration!
Jul 21, 2006 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Sammich

New Head-Fier
I just upgraded from my hd570's to a pair of Sennheiser hd595's--and I'm sorry to say that after a week of burn-in they're still not head-and-shoulders above my old headphones like I had hoped. After spending a lot of time reading on this forum and doing research, my mind is in a flurry on what to do about it.

I think what attracted me to these headphones is the descriptions I read of them being more "forward" than other Sennheisers. Although I love the smooth Sennheiser sound, the idea of listening to something that gave me "front row seats" was pretty exciting. People said they were easy to drive, which I thought was perfect because I don't have much money to spend on a good amp. I've been really excited to get these headphones, but after about a week of burn-in, they don't sound that much different than my old 570s. Maybe a tiny bit better bass or treble response on some pieces of music, but on the whole not that much different.

A long time ago I owned some Sennheiser hd565s, and I LOVED those headphones (I didn't have an amp for them either). I was kinda hoping that the 595s would be able to bring back the same "these headphones are awesome" listening experience I remember so well.

So what's wrong?

Am I just missing out because I don't have a great source for my music?
Or do I really need to give in and get an amp to get the performance I want?
Is it too much to expect ~$300 retail headphones to give roughly double the performance of the old ~$150 headphones? (I have a hard time believing this though, I think my hd565s sounded twice as good as the 570s, and for only $50 more)
Or did I just get the wrong headphones?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. I keep researching different amps and sources, but after paying for the headphones my budget is very limited. I like the idea of the Little Dot Micro and the Pa2v2, but if my source is the problem I probably can't even afford that.

Gah. I think I'm mostly frustrated because I wasn't expecting to have to spend more than the price of these headphones because they are "so easy to drive." Maybe this reveals my ignorance of the headphone world.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 47
I think you haven't had time for your ears to adjust. When I upgraded from an HD497 to the 595's little brother, I didn't hear much improvement either. Then I went back to the 497 and realized all the subtle things that made the 555 better.

Or maybe you don't like the sound signature of the 595? In that case, you'll just have to keep trying other kinds (Grado, beyer, etc.) to find the right sound.

Also, from what I've read, a small amp (CMOY, etc.) won't improve the performance much, since the 595 has a low impedance.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 47
At a certain price point a law of diminishing returns begins to kick in. The higher up the price ladder you climb the more you pay for relatively smaller improvements. For example you can't expect $3000 headphones to sound 10 times better than $300 headphones. Also, what is an improvement to one person is actually a step down for another. The sound quality of headphones can't be really measured in any objective terms or quantified so statements like "sounding twice as good" are quite meaningless. In the end it all depends on your preferences and the fun (and expensive!) thing about this hobby is figuring out by trial and error what those preferences are and what equipment matches them best.

My advice to you is to try and listen to your new headphones with an open mind and try to think what is good about them. Who knows, maybe after a while you'll come to revise your opinion about them - if not you can always sell them and try something else.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 47
What's your source? Hard to tell if it's good if you don't tell us what it is. Other than that, I agree with the previous poster, maybe your ears just need some adjust time. Or maybe you just really aren't one for the Sennheiser sound? You might want to try picking up a Grado SR-60 if you really want that forward in your face sound, and if you like it you can move on up from there.

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff
I think you haven't had time for your ears to adjust. When I upgraded from an HD497 to the 595's little brother, I didn't hear much improvement either. Then I went back to the 497 and realized all the subtle things that made the 555 better.

Or maybe you don't like the sound signature of the 595? In that case, you'll just have to keep trying other kinds (Grado, beyer, etc.) to find the right sound.

Also, from what I've read, a small amp (CMOY, etc.) won't improve the performance much, since the 595 has a low impedance.

Agreed, A/b's are tricky, the 595's are more efficient (which works in their favor, actually, so...) Just for you, i dug out my 570's. I love these phones, for their price they were category killers 5 years ago, I remember buying after listening for about 2 minutes, and I still love them. The 595's really are noticably tighter in deep bass listening to Victor Wooten, jazzy stuff like that. in general I wouldn't say they're quantum leaps ahead of the 570's, but I love both phones, they're both worth their prices. That's on Power book headphone out (Apple lossless) > LDM+ > Cardas and audiolineout cables

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 47
At work I listen straight out of the integrated motherboard sound card. I have a portable sony cd player too, I don't know if it has a model number or anything, but I paid about $99 for it a few years ago.

As far as what type of sound I'm going for---so far I really like the Sennheiser sound best, based on the various headphones I've heard over the years. And I have my headphones on for 8-10 hours a day, so I want my ears to be comfortable. And after eight hours I don't want my ears to feel fatigued---even though I like the idea of making my music more engaging, it still has to be somewhat laid back. From what I hear the Grados are a little too forward for my ears.

Mostly what I'm looking for and not getting is better clarity and presence in the sound---I want to at least approach the ideal of listening to a live performance. And the 570s NEVER did that for me, while the 565s did.

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammich
Lostbobby: Would you recommend the LDM+ as the best inexpensive amp for the 595s?

Well, it's the only amp I'ew ever heard, but the unity (low gain) LDM+ works pretty well w/595's, 570's and ipod/Apple lossless. Kinda runs out of juice at higher impedances (just like the seller said it would) Course I think most of the boost in SQ is simply from going out the lineout, the ipod headphone amp is pretty inferior. Gentle reminder: Lotsa used amps for sale in head-fi.

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff

From my experience thats not true.. I use my 595's with the Pocket amp V2 & does wonders. Kicks up thre front row sound a notch..

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 47
Source: SoundBlaster Live!
Amp: None
Point of diminishing returns: Senn PX100
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammich
Mostly what I'm looking for and not getting is better clarity and presence in the sound---I want to at least approach the ideal of listening to a live performance. And the 570s NEVER did that for me, while the 565s did.

Try a Grado or Alessandro. That was what I was looking for and what I got when I purchased my MS2i's. I thought the 595s would be it for me, but found they weren't when I tested them at a store.

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 47
the monkey: I think the problem is that the sound is generally "muddy," even on multiple sources (haven't tested on a really nice system yet though). I don't get the nice separation between instruments that I was expecting from reviews and descriptions. I think the bass is about where I'd like it, and the sound quality is pleasant enough. I think what I'm looking for is a mix of that pleasant sennheiser sound with just a little more definition so that it's a bit more engaging when I listen while I work. I hate it when music just becomes background noise to what I'm doing---I want it to draw my attention just enough that I'm actively enjoying it.

aufeuer: I wish there was a store I could test headphones at around here. I can't seem to find any places that have models ready to test.

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 47
I'd say that the Hd565 line does not continue with the HD555, 595. The HD580 resembles a refined HD565.

Solude:
plainface.gif
I thought it was sarcasm... but you're right. The Live needs to go. Now.

Look into sources first, the Live! is bottlenecking both headphones - and then disregard the amp for now.. or what about something like the Corda Aria and a Chaintech AV-710?

EDIT: Yep, i agree, "muddy" describes it very well... it's not a bad soundcard for it's time considering the price, i have a Live 1024somewhaere AFAIK an haven't bought any creative stuff since :p

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 47
If your not a believer in burn-in the 595's will make you. Somepeople reported hearing differences in sound near the ~400 hour mark. I think anything you hear after 250+ hours is what you can pretty much expect from the can though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back