Sennheiser HD595 for Trance?
Jan 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Devts

New Head-Fier
I've had my eye on these headphones for awhile, but I've heard their bass response isn't that great for music like Trance and Dance. I listen to other music, like classic rock, but Trance is a big part of my library. I'm also intrigued by the surround sound like features. Additonally, I am a piano solo composer and would like a true to life sound.

Are the HD595's ok for this type of music (with and without an amp). Also, I used to own a pair of MDR-7506 (that broke). Will I be disapointed? If so, would a different sony pair like the V700's or V900's work better for me?

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 24
I'll be using it on my Macbook Pro, Ipod touch, and recording through my M-audio Firewire 410.

I'm willing to spend around $100-$200.

Basiclly I want an all around headphone set that can play well with DVDs, Music (All kinds, but a lot of Trance), slight gaming and piano recording. I know there is no perfect headset, but the Trance and piano recordings are the biggies.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 24
Grado's are great for electronic music. The drivers have very good impulse response and a "house" sound. Sennheiser is generally considerd "warm" sounding with slow moving drivers, so I personally would go with Grados over Senn.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 24
The M50 I think would be a good choice for you. They are studio monitors with a bit extra bass response and a decent soundstage.
Depending on how big your head is comfort could be an issue though.

From reading the forums you might also want to check out the Q40 or RP21.

I really can't recommend Grados, you would need to mod them to get a good amout of bass that you need for trance.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 24
I have the HD - 555 and D5000's when it come's to listening to Trance, House and Drum'n'Bass i much prefer to use the D5000's over the Senn's I just find them to be lacking to much in the bass department.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which model would you suggest? I'm interested in the surround sound versions after I looked them up.

The Basic model, and the most punchy one is the HFI/PRO-550/580 or the DJ1...
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado's are great for electronic music. The drivers have very good impulse response and a "house" sound. Sennheiser is generally considerd "warm" sounding with slow moving drivers, so I personally would go with Grados over Senn.

Grados are very sweet, I love the RS-1. But not much of the sound stage, and trance need a lot of sound stage.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 24
[size=large]My Friend...Wilfredo can help.[/size]
Though many of our posts have been in the portable IEM Section, the same principle applies to Full Sized Cans. Appreciating Trance requires a wide and detailed Soundstage.

Wilfredo (my little guy) was born into a Trance oriented family. From the moment of his first step, I slipped a pair of headphones onto his tiny head. Within moments, his head started to Bob and a smile appeared on his face.

I am sure you are saying now; OK Dave...get on with it...what headphones was Wilfredo sporting.

Easy answer...AKG K701.
These amazing cans sport a detailed soundstage, where the music becomes larger than life. The listener is not merely listening, they are part of the music.

Not may cans can provide this experience, the AKG K701's can

Wilfredo give it 5 stars!

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are very sweet, I love the RS-1. But not much of the sound stage, and trance need a lot of sound stage.

In the sound stage department, the Grado's are indeed small. But the imaging is good (to my ears). The thing I liked about Grados and trance they seem to bring out alot of detail in the midrange (where most of the music is) and the bass it does have is very tight and perfectly audible IMO. There is alot of detail when it comes to Trance, Drum and Bass, IDM, etc... I feel like grados generally have more detail and a more neutral response than the bloated Senns.

Just my opinion.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 24
I have a pair of HD595s, unamped from my laptop and they aren't great for trance, they just lack the clear, tight bass punch.

I've been searching for awhile on the forums for a new pair of phones specifically for trance (and heavy rock/metal if possible but doesn't seem to be happening
tongue.gif
) and I cannot find a definitive answer around the $500 mark.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 24
Well, personally, I haven't heard many headphones in my lifetime, so I guess I have no valid opinion in terms of your headphone choice, all I can tell you is that like you, I listen to tons of trance, hardstyle, whatnot, and the HD-555s plus Fiio E5 are amazing. Plus, the two only cost about 110 together, so if you're lookin for a cheap solution, then go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back