sennheiser hd590 and audigy 2 platinum (not zs)
Aug 6, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
I am referring to the Sennheiser PC 155 (in regards to its performance sans USB adapter). It is a retail $140 headset or so but it can be found in ample stock for $80 online. And yes, I am going to get the E-MU 1212M, probably from Zemo's group buy. Mixing down on the EQ did help with the Audigy, volume sliders were below 75% to begin with
smily_headphones1.gif

With the receiver that I tested, the HD 590 significantly improved over the aformentioned headset and any other headphones I've used (although my experience with headphones is VERY limited). So, I am looking forward to the improved source and amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Zemo seems like a really good guy, he'll take care of you. If you have a Guitar Center nearby and you don't want to wait or incure shipping costs, you could try to negotiate the price yourself. I was the one who found out that they'd go down to $165. It wasn't terribly hard to get the price, but then, they really take care of me at that Guitar Center. Either way, it's definately worth getting.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #32 of 34
Heh, well with Zemo I'd be paying about a $21 surcharge. If I were to go to Guitar Center, first off I'd be going to a place I never went to. Not so bad. But then I thought about the price. If I were to drive down to my nearest Guitar Center, which really isn't all that near, I'd be paying about 4 bucks in gas to start. Then, assuming that I actually could get the $165 price, I'd have to pay 10 bucks in tax. So, all-in-all, I'd save about 6 bucks. My laziness factor kicks in here so I'm probably gonna just order from Zemo.

On a side note, does Guitar Center carry a lot of 'high-end' audio stuff? At reasonable prices I should add (after negotiation).

Btw, I figure I might as well ask, it's been a burning question. Is that PreSonus HP4 in your sig a good choice or should I pay the extra $50-70 or so I would have to for a Headsave Classic?

Aug 6, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
Heh, well with Zemo I'd be paying about a $21 surcharge. If I were to go to Guitar Center, first off I'd be going to a place I never went to. Not so bad. But then I thought about the price. If I were to drive down to my nearest Guitar Center, which really isn't all that near, I'd be paying about 4 bucks in gas to start. Then, assuming that I actually could get the $165 price, I'd have to pay 10 bucks in tax. So, all-in-all, I'd save about 6 bucks. My laziness factor kicks in here so I'm probably gonna just order from Zemo.

On a side note, does Guitar Center carry a lot of 'high-end' audio stuff? At reasonable prices I should add (after negotiation).

Btw, I figure I might as well ask, it's been a burning question. Is that PreSonus HP4 in your sig a good choice or should I pay the extra $50-70 or so I would have to for a Headsave Classic?

I really like it and when I compared it to a META 42 a while back I prefered the PreSonus. Iron_Dreamer seemed to have the same impression of it. I would say it's a great bang for the buck and wouldn't think of replacing it with anything short of a Gilmore Lite. On a plus side, it will allow for a balanced connection with the 1212m which is nice. It's also dead silent. It seems to shine the best with low impedence headphones (which all of mine are) but I was very impressed with the way it drove the HD650's at the big SoCal meet. In the wee hours of the night after most people had left I sat and was mystified for a good hour by the 650's plugged into my rig.
biggrin.gif
Someone also mentioned that they compared it with the Grado RA-1 amp and couldn't hear any differences. I've not heard an RA-1 so I can't really comment on the validity of this but like I said, the amp is an awesome bang for the buck. It's also very cool for doing headphone A/B comparisons since you can drive 4 headphones at a time.

I've purchased a variety of things from Guitar Center. I got my HD280 Pros there ($70), the PreSonus (grrrr I paid full price on this one since it was one of my first purchases and I didn't kow better), M-Audio Audiophile USB ($150), AKG 240s ($80 including tax, returned due to a buzz in the right driver, probably a hair but I had the option to return and they were a bit bassier than I like, I'm thinking about the 240m in the future), 1212m ($165), Shure E2 ($55, actually I just picked up another one yesterday since my step-father wanted a pair), I'm thinking of picking up some studio monitors in the future and maybe the E5. I only deal with the two managers in pro audio and they always take very good care of me so I go back to them for anything they carry that I need. I've also gotten several cables from them but Mogami and Monster don't allow for discounting of their products so I've paid full price for the cables.

Aug 10, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #34 of 34
Nice to know that the PreSonus HP4 is good. I must admit, the 4 headphone output is very attractive, esp. if I have friends over who want to listen to something on my PC.

On a side note ASIO sounds better than DirectSound now. The bass is much more noticable. Dunno what took me so long to realize...must have been the "new" Audigy drivers I suppose? Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back