Sennheiser HD580 or Alessandro MS-1 ?
Dec 8, 2006 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

beng123

New Head-Fier
New to headphone here. Wanted to get a headphone around $100, and since Sennheiser HD580 is around $125-135 now, which will be a better choice for a newbie as the first can ? Listening mostly to J-Pop.

Also how bad is Sennheiser HD580 unamped ? Might need some times before getting a better amp.

Thanks guys.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 16
if you dont intend to use a headphone amp then the HD 580 is out of question. if you intend to buy one soon [amp] then I'd say go for it.
otherwise the MS-1 is a fantastic choice.
I have one and i echo every good thing thats said about them.
they sound good with stock comfie pads, but I've ordered the sennheiser HD 414 pads. they should be here soon.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 16
Tough choice there. Both are good phones and the HD-580 can still sound decent unamped (but improve noticably with amping). It's a matter of which house sound appeals more to you and that unfortunately means you have to listen to both phones to decide for yourself which you prefer.

Personally I'd lean towards the Senn for both sound and comfort. An amp can always come in later. All IMHO.

Cheers!

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 16
Or... do it the head fi way... save for both
cool.gif
maybe you could get both an sr60 and a 555 too as a cheaper but not necessarily worse option. I actually prefer the 555 to the 580 and the sr60s to the ms1s

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 16
Going for both sounds like a fun approach to me too! I've already got MS-1 and they are a fantastic set of cans unamped.

But, being curious about the Senn Sound I'll be getting some HD600 for classical after the first of the year.

A lot of folks feel that a minimum of two sets of main phones is the only way to cover the full musical spectrum, and that may be true!! If that's the case, then beginning with an MS-1 with no amp is a good starting point, followed by an appropriate amp, then fill in with the second set of cans.

Yup; that could be a plan!
cool.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 16
I had both and i can tell without any hesitation that the Senn fit right in where the MS-1 couldn't handle half of what i throw at them. But it is a matter of preference, i only see the Sen at doing all real great. And F107 you shoud look for forum for HD580 and HD600, a lot of folk here say that once the HD580 is a little upgraded with HD650 cables and HD600 Grill they become 99.9999% of the HD600, and they'll still be lot cheaper
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going for both sounds like a fun approach to me too! I've already got MS-1 and they are a fantastic set of cans unamped.

But, being curious about the Senn Sound I'll be getting some HD600 for classical after the first of the year.

A lot of folks feel that a minimum of two sets of main phones is the only way to cover the full musical spectrum, and that may be true!! If that's the case, then beginning with an MS-1 with no amp is a good starting point, followed by an appropriate amp, then fill in with the second set of cans.

Yup; that could be a plan!
cool.gif

Ditto... MS1 if you will be unamped for any period of time and want to enjoy a HP experience now, but will scale up when amped; And, 580s with the "right" amp w/forementioned mods...both suggestions dependant upon personal preferance for each sound signature, which are compleatly different. Conclusion: MS1 best bet!

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both and i can tell without any hesitation that the Senn fit right in where the MS-1 couldn't handle half of what i throw at them. But it is a matter of preference, i only see the Sen at doing all real great. And F107 you shoud look for forum for HD580 and HD600, a lot of folk here say that once the HD580 is a little upgraded with HD650 cables and HD600 Grill they become 99.9999% of the HD600, and they'll still be lot cheaper
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the good suggestion; luidge! I had done a lot of research on the HD580/HD600 and pretty well came to the same conclusion!

The HD600 I'll be getting are kinda "special" since I know the history of this particular set of HD600s, otherwise I would seriously be considering the HD580s as well!

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 16
MS-1.

I know HD595 and HD580 are not the same thing, but they both share the "Sennheiser Sound." Aftering A-Bing my MS-1 next to the HD595s at home, I came to this conclusion; HD595: Mellow, snorefest. MS-1: Aggressive, fun.

Do you like your J-Pop mellow and boring, or aggressive and fun?

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 16
To counterbalance the last post...

Do you like your J-Pop articulated or enjoyable, or aggressive and irritating?

As for the phones at hand, as others have said, unless you have a strong output on your source, the MS1s would be a better choice than the HD580. It's a common sight around here for people to barely budget up to the HD580/6X0 series then under-power them with no or inferior amps.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the phones at hand, as others have said, unless you have a strong output on your source, the MS1s would be a better choice than the HD580.

i agree, that is the best way to put it. the fact is the hd580's can be driven unamped directly from some sources just fine. i found them to be fine both amped and unamped directly out of an audigy 2zs sound card. they sounded fine.

however, portables do not drive them well at all, and my laptop won't even drive them, the sound cuts in and out because they're so underpowered.

that being said, i personally would rather own the hd580's for regular listening at home, but everyone's different obviously.

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 16
I believe it will come down to personal preference: the Senn or Grado sound. i cant stand the senn sound, it sounds dark and muffled to me, and i really like the grado sound, for its detail, clarity, brightness. So you should really try out both and decide for yourself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back