Sennheiser HD580 cable upgrade
Apr 1, 2003 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

razerx

100+ Head-Fier
My 580 would periodically act up and have one of the channels go out on me. My latest fix was pulling out the cable pins and reattaching them which is working for now, knock on wood. Meanwhile I got so sick of the Sennheisers and vowed never again buy anything by this wretched company and decided to give Grado a try. The 80 sounded so good and a while later I bought the RS-1 which blew my socks off. I am using X-CANS, X-24K, cheap NAD for transport and X-PSU. Anyway the Grados feels like razor blades to my tender ears (physcially not sonically) and the HD580 has a altogether different sound which is very pleasing for certain kinds of quiet music so I can justify have a few cans about.

Anyway, will a Cardas upgrade fix the HD580's mechanical problem or is the problem not with the cable? Else I can sell the 580 and get the 600.

This is my first post and I have learned alot here. Thank you.

Apr 2, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 3
Not too sure what exactly the problem is. I've heard that it's from oxides on the cable connector and I've heard that it's because the spring that the prongs of the connector go between gets weak and makes poor contact. I had the same problem with my 580's and it got to the point that I had to take toothpicks or a small crossection of a Q-tip and insert in between the housing and the connector to provide constant pressure. This worked fine but I got worried that it may be a quick fix so I sent them off to Sennheiser. I got them back fairly quickly and it did come with a new cable. The cable had gold connectors and the connector heads were thicker so the connector would not wiggle around.

I have heard though that changing to the Cardas cable can fix it. I'd do a quick search to see if you can confirm it.

Apr 2, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Razer, that it the exact same problem that I'm having right now. I have heard a simple replacement cable should do the trick, but also that any of the replacement cables (Clou Blue, Red, Cardas upgrade cable) should also do the trick. I haven't listened to my HD580's for at least a couple months because of this.. but I've kept my eyes open for some Clou Blues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back