Sennheiser HD5699 'hybrid' (an HD560S with HD599 drivers)
Jul 22, 2022 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

evonimos

Head-Fier
Hello!

I have two HD599 pairs, which I enjoy quite a bit.
I also have a pair of HD560S, which I tried to like but to no avail..

So, I went ahead and swapped the HD560S 120Ohm drivers with the 50Ohm drivers from one of my HD599 pairs.
You just unscrew the baffles from both pairs, desolder the drivers and then solder and screw the HD599 ones in the HD560S housing.
NOTE: You can use the HD559 as a 'donor'. They're using the exact drivers/baffles.

Here you see the HD5699 'hybrid'!
20220722_111217.jpg
Basically it looks like a typical HD560S.
Until you put them on and notice that something HAS audibly changed.
---------

From here on I attest my personal opinion (and rant), so please bare with me:

The 'HD5699' doesn't sound 'sterile' and/or flat anymore..

HD560S, while it's measuring good, I think it lacks body and impact. It has soundstage and is not grainy, I'll give it that.
But some important parameters for real music enjoyment, namely body, pace and impact, were missing.
When you create a headphone simply to look good on papers, based on whatever current 'target response', you might end up with a 'flat' sounding pair.

Sorry Sennheiser but this is still an HD5xx series headphone and folks enjoy them for their laid-back, full-bodied character that gives life to music.
For uber-technical 'neutrality' and 'follow the graphs' orthodoxy, there are myriads of other models out there. I have an HD600 for that I think..

My point is, who cares if it measures great but it hurts your ears after 10 minutes, or you need a graphic equalizer to enjoy music?
-End of rant-
-----------

How does this 'hybrid' sound?
In a nutshell, a bit better than the good old HD599.

Probably due to the slightly different shell of the HD560S (wider grill holes and no plastic overlay).
It gives more focus and impact to the sound.

Lows are better articulated and go deeper, mids keep their presence but are better controlled and highs become less grainy.
Soundstage increased a bit, both in width and in height.
Separation of instruments and sense of depth also improved.

Maybe, it has to do with reduced resonances resulting in better driver control?
I don't know, but the result is good (to my ears at least). :)

So folks, if you enjoy the sound of your HD599/598 but feel your HD560S falls short of your expectations, you might want to give the 'HD5699' a try.
You can always revert back to stock, if you are not impressed.

Have fun and thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 20220722_111217.jpg
    20220722_111217.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 7
Interesting, I've just joined and have HD599se (ie a 599 in black) - I have no other quality headphones to compare with but got the 599se for a good price and particularly wanted open back headphones with good comfort.
I find them very good for my requirements being just a little warm yet with plenty of detail, my source quality is better than the amp currently in use (headphone output of a 1984 Creek 4040).

But just thinking about the design I have already been wondering why the bar with the S logo is there other than for aesthetics, it seems to me something that will add internal reflections that are probably not wanted. Having said that Sennheiser generally know what they are doing and it's possible that the bar improves the sound somehow.

It's likely that when my pair go out of guarantee/warranty that I will disassemble them and drill a few holes in the bar, if I don't like the change they can be blocked up again.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello!

I have two HD599 pairs, which I enjoy quite a bit.
I also have a pair of HD560S, which I tried to like but to no avail..

So, I went ahead and swapped the HD560S 120Ohm drivers with the 50Ohm drivers from one of my HD599 pairs.
You just unscrew the baffles from both pairs, desolder the drivers and then solder and screw the HD599 ones in the HD560S housing.
NOTE: You can use the HD559 as a 'donor'. They're using the exact drivers/baffles.

Here you see the HD5699 'hybrid'!
20220722_111217.jpg
Basically it looks like a typical HD560S.
Until you put them on and notice that something HAS audibly changed.
---------

From here on I attest my personal opinion (and rant), so please bare with me:

The 'HD5699' doesn't sound 'sterile' and/or flat anymore..

HD560S, while it's measuring good, I think it lacks body and impact. It has soundstage and is not grainy, I'll give it that.
But some important parameters for real music enjoyment, namely body, pace and impact, were missing.
When you create a headphone simply to look good on papers, based on whatever current 'target response', you might end up with a 'flat' sounding pair.

Sorry Sennheiser but this is still an HD5xx series headphone and folks enjoy them for their laid-back, full-bodied character that gives life to music.
For uber-technical 'neutrality' and 'follow the graphs' orthodoxy, there are myriads of other models out there. I have an HD600 for that I think..

My point is, who cares if it measures great but it hurts your ears after 10 minutes, or you need a graphic equalizer to enjoy music?
-End of rant-
-----------

How does this 'hybrid' sound?
In a nutshell, a bit better than the good old HD599.

Probably due to the slightly different shell of the HD560S (wider grill holes and no plastic overlay).
It gives more focus and impact to the sound.

Lows are better articulated and go deeper, mids keep their presence but are better controlled and highs become less grainy.
Soundstage increased a bit, both in width and in height.
Separation of instruments and sense of depth also improved.

Maybe, it has to do with reduced resonances resulting in better driver control?
I don't know, but the result is good (to my ears at least). :)

So folks, if you enjoy the sound of your HD599/598 but feel your HD560S falls short of your expectations, you might want to give the 'HD5699' a try.
You can always revert back to stock, if you are not impressed.

Have fun and thanks for reading!

Pretty cool stuff.

The Sennheiser engineer seemed to really love his 560S with the 660S/s2? driver

I've enjoyed rolling different drivers in the 6 series (different baffles and whatnot with different era drivers)

Nice to know the 5 series can be played with as well!

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Interesting, I've just joined and have HD599se (ie a 599 in black) - I have no other quality headphones to compare with but got the 599se for a good price and particularly wanted open back headphones with good comfort.
I find them very good for my requirements being just a little warm yet with plenty of detail, my source quality is better than the amp currently in use (headphone output of a 1984 Creek 4040).

But just thinking about the design I have already been wondering why the bar with the S logo is there other than for aesthetics, it seems to me something that will add internal reflections that are probably not wanted. Having said that Sennheiser generally know what they are doing and it's possible that the bar improves the sound somehow.

It's likely that when my pair go out of guarantee/warranty that I will disassemble them and drill a few holes in the bar, if I don't like the change they can be blocked up again.
Nice choice mate.

HD599 are probably one of the most well-balanced headphones from Sennheiser.
Unbeatable value, offering decent soundstage, comfort, good lows and a smooth, musical tone.
Very well balanced.

No further mods/tunings required.
Maybe a cable upgrade in the future.

But for now, just play some good music from a decent source, power them with a proper amp and enjoy!

-----------
By the way, the HD560S are worse.
In my opinion, way too thin sounding.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Something I wanted to add regarding my 'hybrid' project.
Started as an experiment when I blew one of my HD560S driver and couldn't find replacement.

So, I had the HD560S chassis and some spare drivers from HD559 laying around (it's the same part used in the HD599 which sounds great) and gave it a try.
I used these headphones extensively for a period and was nice to have a different flavor of the original HD599 sound.

However, If you don't have spare parts lying around, DIY skills and tools I wouldn't recommend It.
If you are a DIYer, have parts laying around unused and want to experiment, then yes.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 7
HD599 are probably one of the most well-balanced headphones from Sennheiser.
Unbeatable value, offering decent soundstage, comfort, good lows and a smooth, musical tone.
Throw them on a hybrid tube amp - the harmonics really shine.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Pretty cool stuff.

The Sennheiser engineer seemed to really love his 560S with the 660S/s2? driver

I've enjoyed rolling different drivers in the 6 series (different baffles and whatnot with different era drivers)

Nice to know the 5 series can be played with as well!

Cool video, that's the first time I've had diffuse field explained to me. So basically any headphone with exceptional timbre you could assume is a diffuse field design? Those guys are serious headphone nerds lol, love it. I think Sennheiser has been really exciting in the last five years, it makes me happy that they're addressing bass performance in their audiophile offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back