Sennheiser HD565 repair disaster
Feb 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Doctor Mesmer

New Head-Fier
Tonight, I decided to repair my ageing Sennheiser HD 565 headphones. Headband replacement went fine, but fixing a bad connection to the right phone turned into a disaster! On removing the driver to squeeze the spring connections together and improve the contact (which I'd read was the best way to address the problem), I broke one of the very thin wires that connect the driver to the connection terminals. When I tried to solder the wire - probably a bad idea anyway, but I figured at this stage I had little to lose - it broke away completely at both ends, so I don't even have anything to connect it to now.

So...where do I go from here? Can I buy a new driver unit for the right phone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

May 29, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 10
Sennheiser (in the UK) sell replacements only for the cable, earpads and the foam disk that covers the drivers however they sell dynamic capsules (drivers) for the HD265 model which looks very similar . You might want to contact Sennheiser and ask them if the HD265 drivers will work with your HD565. They cost £53 in the UK.

May 29, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Hopefully this info will help someone... The HD525,535,545,565 and 265 all use the same driver, I have at least one of each and have checked. They are the same part number and all 150 ohm. Also the driver for the HD580, 580 Jubilee and 600 is the same physically at 300 ohms, and the HD650 driver is the same shape and size but the housing is a different (glossy) material also at 300 ohms. From personal experimentation the HD650 drivers are a step up in any of the older housings.

May 29, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 10
They all share the same inner mounting plate/frame for the driver, introduced with the HD580 in 1993. HD265, HD565 and its smaller siblings were put on the market in 1994.

Haven't seen the inside of the HD525 and 535 but assume they are similar.

The HD265 is a little different as it's a closed headphone with a special bass tube loading (similar to the HD250 design). One of the criticisms of the HD265 was that it had too much bass. Some pics to show the design.

The foam at the back of the HD265 driver has a hole for the small bass tube:

The HD565 doesn't:

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 10
535 and 565: they look similar but not the same driver

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi,

So, the HD265 has too much bass??? I definitely want one!

But no more off-topic :) I have a similar driver damage on my trusty old HD 535, which is still waiting for a repair on the shelf since years. On mine, the wire that connects from the membrane to the coil broke off at the membrane's side on one phone. I think it's impossible to solder properly, even when I could get it managed, I doubt it would sound like back in the days.

Unfortunately, here in the "service desert" (as we say) here in Germany, I'm unable to get any repair service or parts for this baby. :frowning2: Do you think, Sennheiser will also ship a driver to Germany even when I order in the UK? Could you provide some contact information from the UK department?

Additionally, could you provide some disassembling information or manual or video to get the driver out?

Thanks

Zoli

Users who are viewing this thread

Back