Sennheiser HD558 vs V-Moda Crossfade LP for gaming and music
Dec 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sollared

New Head-Fier
My old headset just died out so I'm on the market for a new one. I've decided to not go with a labelled "gaming" headset this time since I've always been disappointed in their quality.
I've basically narrowed my main picks to the V-Moda Crossfade LPs and the Sennheiser HD558s, but I can't decide from there. I'll mostly be using them hooked up to my desktop for gaming and music, but also occasionally from my phone on the go during a roadtrip or something (I don't ever walk around town or campus with headphones though so on the go would be minimal ruggedness).
Based on the reviews I've read, the 558s are some of the best audio quality at that price range (right now they are $120 on Amazon). However, I would have to use the included 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for basically everything I own. Not a big issue, but a little annoying. 
The V-Moda LPs are cheaper ($100 on Amazon), look better (not that big of a deal though), and seem to be much more rugged. I also appreciate that the connector is 3.5mm. I am a little concerned that some reviewers say the bass is too much though. I really hate overpowering bass, but this can be easily fixed with adjusting the settings on my computer. They also seem to contain the audio a little better (a positive for riding in the car).
Anyone used both of these and can comment on their quality for gaming and music? I'm open to other suggestions, but the $90-120 range is my budget right now. 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back