Sennheiser HD555 Wire Snapped
Dec 29, 2011 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Dethsul

New Head-Fier
After enough wear and tear on the plastic headband, it finally snapped...along with the wire. I can only listen to the left ear cup. Being completely oblivious to wiring, I did some googling and figured out how to strip, remove the enamel lacquer and twist the wires back together to get both ears working; Though, I totally wasted the length of the wire trying to learn how to wire it back together after many mistakes and now have a tight wire touching the back of my head. My setup is a complete mess. I got duct tape connecting from both cups to an improvised band made of cardboard. It's absolutely disgusting to look at and I want to completely restore this thing. I could buy another pair, but I see this as a perfect opportunity to teach myself a little about electronics and repair. I looked through the resource center and got completely overwhelmed. I purchased the wrong wire (22 AWG) meant for the headphone jack opposed to the much thinner wire connecting the two cups. There are two wires, one ground and a red wire. I'm having a hard time figuring out which gauge this particular wire is, let alone, taking apart the cups to make a new connection. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back