Sennheiser HD555, uncomfortable rattle on high volume.
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HurlockVanguard

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I recently bought a pair of used HD555.
Today I have noticed a tiny puncture in the paper sheet covering the membrane, which looks like this(red line) :

As I am very OCD about my hardware, I took them apart once again to examine the celulose from the back side(as it turned out, it is not possible because it is covered with the driver). While I was assembling them, one of the screws got sucked into the driver, pushing down the foil membrane, I took it carefuly out with tweezers and then "sucked" the membrane back. It did not get punctured. However it has a tiny dent now.
I have gotten paranoid, and started testing them. I have noticed that when the volume is high enough, they start to rattle. Here are 2 examples:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0vOHk2odFle
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WcxXkFsvUY

It appears to me that the membrane is hitting the plastic ring below the "grill". That seems relatively normal to me as I see no way for my actions to have caused it, and I know that this also happens to low end subwoofers when they are driven beyond a certain level.

The main quesion is: Is that normal?
Misc question: Should I worry about that puncture in the celulose? Should I try to secure/fix it?

Best regards.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Is it rattling at a volume louder than what you would listen at? All headphones will distort if driven hard enough. Do a search for a program called sinegen and do a tone sweep and try to listen for a difference between left and right. This will give you some idea of how badly the damage is affecting the sound if at all. It is possible he membrane could vibrate so I would try to repair it with the smallest piece of tape to cover the damage. DO NOT try to remove the dent by suction. Something sticky on the end of a q tip maybe but not suction.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for your reply.
That rattling happens at volume levels that are way beyond what I use.
I will use a cigarette paper. It's very siimilar to it structurewise, and it comes with strong glue.

Best regards.

PS. SineGen is wonderful, I appreciate the advice.

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.
That rattling happens at volume levels that are way beyond what I use.
I will use a cigarette paper. It's very siimilar to it structurewise, and it comes with strong glue.

Best regards.

PS. SineGen is wonderful, I appreciate the advice.

Hey, 

Sorry about reviving an old thread but I had this problem also and fortunately, I also have seemed to solve it. I had this rattling sound at low frequencies so I played different frequencies until I found the one that made the left speaker rattle the most. I then opened the headphone that I had problems with and made sure that the cable connected to the speaker didn't touch any of the paper when I closed it back up and I cant seem to find any frequency that makes the headphones rattle! :)

I guess this happened when I applied the 555 to 565 mod on mine, maybe its the same on yours? 

Regards N

Users who are viewing this thread

Back