Sennheiser HD555 sound leakage
Mar 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

badben25

New Head-Fier
Greets HeadFi-ers

I have an old pair of HD555s and they've been great for my usage and I've done the 595 mod on them as well. But as time has progressed and my lifestyle changed a bit, so now I find them to leak too much sound for my preference. I don't want everyone to be able to hear whatever is playing especially because I have people sleeping in the same room who find it annoying when I'm up at nights working on stuff while enjoying various genres of music, or when I'm playing scrims while my brother has to sleep before his night shift lol.

Now I'm wondering, could I 'reverse-mod' them? Maybe do something like add more foam within the cup again to make them a little more closed? Does anyone have any input regarding this? I don't really want to lose much sound performance but I'm very willing to try because I can always undo it.
Being a working student I don't have much money to spare, so please don't suggest buying a closed pair, it's not possible for me at the moment.

On a different note, what level of impedance can be considered to be the point where a computer's soundcard or a smartphone will not be enough to drive a headphone well, and will require some sort of amplifying? Can I say that borderline is 80+ ohms?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back