Sennheiser HD555 - My modest opinions
Jun 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
Beyers! DT770s are the pinnacle of closed cans! Just kidding, that's my opinion. There's plenty of Sones and alot of people recommend the ATH M50. Some good ultrasones include Hfi 780 and Pro 750.

I can't drive a 250 ohm set of cans.
darthsmile.gif
It's gonna have to be within the drive capabilities of an iPod Touch. I also wouldn't consider a portable amp, (a) cost and (b) it makes everything a little too complicated having wires running everywhere.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
I recently picked up my first "decent" pair of headphones and shopping around I snagged a pair of HD555's for about $120 including next day delivery. Because I commute daily I also picked up a cheap pair of Sony MDR-XD100's (which don't sound bad but they definitely don't sound great).

First thing I noticed was the cable. I thought it was detachable. Maybe not. Maybe I'm not pulling hard enough? Not gonna test it unless I can get a for sure answer.

Next thing I noticed was holy crap, these things are comfortable! Nice secure fit but still doesn't feel like I have anything on my ears. I could wear them for hours. Nothing interfering with my glasses, ears, no problems at all.

I can really see the benefit of the open design. Previous headphones felt "stuffed" in a sense that that sound rattled around more. I didn't notice any severe noise leakage, unless I turn it up quite loud it's inaudible 5ft away.

Comparing these to the Sony's is probably a bit of a stretch. $170 (MSRP) vs $20 (MSRP) is hardly anything to write home about. Still I hear a large difference in the base response, mids, and highs. Everything feels even and more defined.

I'm glad I found Head-Fi, helped a lot in the decision process (even though I had my sights set on these from the beginning). I might also end up with a pair of Grado's for commuting. Sound wise the Sony's are okay, but I think these Sennheisers are going to spoil me.

Huge mistake.  You just got the HD555 and already asking about another closed phone...Then you'll wonder whats on the other side of the fence....Then you'll wonder about amps and dacs......and then....on and on...and on...

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
Senn HD-25?

Those look nice.

Quote:
Huge mistake.  You just got the HD555 and already asking about another closed phone...Then you'll wonder whats on the other side of the fence....Then you'll wonder about amps and dacs......and then....on and on...and on...

I know, I know. I am fully aware of what happens once you get a taste of quality products and the forums that drive the obsession.
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #22 of 35
So strange. I keep telling myself I don't suffer from Upgradeitus however I just put an offer on some MS1000s, Hfi 780s, Pro 750s and I want wanted some W100Xs... SHUT UP I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 35
iPod is pretty good for driving HD555 .. but if you want to spend some money and have PC, get Auzentech Bravura. Sound from this combination is really great.

And I agree that they are veerry comfortable, sometimes when my music stops I forget that Im wearing them. :D

Yea and that "tape" mod really helps.. removing that tape foam from them is good thing to do as fast as possible. :) Just make sure that you dont drop screws into drivers (or anything metalic). It would end them pretty fast.. 

Btw. they get better over time.. 

And about upgrades.. well, I would suggest same as for photography. Buy best you can right from start. If one buy 3000 USD combo (or more) right at start, he will actually save loooads of money, that he would spend on continual upgrades.. thought that doesnt mean that he wont spend them on upgrading that 3K rig too. :D

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 35
Hope you guys don't mind if I jump in on this thread for my first post, I'm planning on picking up a pair of HD555's off ebay for ~$93 USD (and doing the foam mod), and I'm wondering what's a fairly cheap (<$100) sound card that'd be a good fit for gaming and music. Alternatively, is it worth spending more for a good card now which would be compatible with further upgrades? I'm just looking for a sweet spot as far as price<->increased quality goes.

At the moment I'm just using my Gigabyte EP35 DS3's crappy realtek ALC889A onboard. I would most likely only be using these phones with my PC.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #25 of 35
Depending on your priorities:

More music than gaming - Asus Xonar Essence STX
More gaming than music - Auzentech Forte

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #27 of 35
Given that both of those are at least $180+, is it really worth it for a mid range set of phones like the HD555s? The other option is I was considering upgrading my motherboard as it's the oldest component in my PC, and I could easily pick up one with a higher quality onboard card.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #28 of 35
You should be able to get the Forte for much cheaper then $180. I got mine for like $120 at the most. I would say the X-fi forte when compared to a motherboard with HD audio support is really not a contest at all. The forte will simply blow onboard out of the water. I got mine from Newegg, but it's no longer listed... Probably because of the release of Bravura.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #29 of 35
Hmm, well going by StaticIce (pricematching for australian PC retailers) the cheapest is $208 AUD, which is approx 169 US. I had a look on eBay as well as it's not much better, there's a grand total of 5 auctions for it and they're all US $170+, and that's not including huge postage charges... http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=Auzentech+Forte&_sacat=See-All-Categories

The HD555's on the other hand are cheap and the international postage is free on ebay.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #30 of 35
What the hell? I don't know how I got mine so cheap then. I got it $120 off Newegg with my AD700 and spent less than $200 total lol. It was a great buy, got it during the holidays (maybe that's why?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back