Sennheiser HD555 - My modest opinions
Jun 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

JoshKe

New Head-Fier
I recently picked up my first "decent" pair of headphones and shopping around I snagged a pair of HD555's for about $120 including next day delivery. Because I commute daily I also picked up a cheap pair of Sony MDR-XD100's (which don't sound bad but they definitely don't sound great).

First thing I noticed was the cable. I thought it was detachable. Maybe not. Maybe I'm not pulling hard enough? Not gonna test it unless I can get a for sure answer.

Next thing I noticed was holy crap, these things are comfortable! Nice secure fit but still doesn't feel like I have anything on my ears. I could wear them for hours. Nothing interfering with my glasses, ears, no problems at all.

I can really see the benefit of the open design. Previous headphones felt "stuffed" in a sense that that sound rattled around more. I didn't notice any severe noise leakage, unless I turn it up quite loud it's inaudible 5ft away.

Comparing these to the Sony's is probably a bit of a stretch. $170 (MSRP) vs $20 (MSRP) is hardly anything to write home about. Still I hear a large difference in the base response, mids, and highs. Everything feels even and more defined.

I'm glad I found Head-Fi, helped a lot in the decision process (even though I had my sights set on these from the beginning). I might also end up with a pair of Grado's for commuting. Sound wise the Sony's are okay, but I think these Sennheisers are going to spoil me.

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 35
Congrats! I still think the 555 is a great value for the money and great way to start, I started with a 595.

BTW the cable is detachable, but you have to take off the left driver cover and do a little disassembly of a couple things, nothing too complicated but it is not just a question of pulling it like its big brothers (HD6x0 and 800), here is a link to a Senn pdf that tells you how to change the cable in case you want to look at it.

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 35
A good purchase, if a bit on the expensive side to pay for HD555s. I agree - they are among the most comfortable headphones ever made, and I usually don't notice them on when wearing them. I actually ENJOY wearing them - I don't take them off when nothing is playing, in stark contrast to every other headphone I've ever owned, and they're very nice for warming up your ears. They're not great for warm temperatures, however (over 26C, give or take a few) and your ears will feel a bit uncomfortable at that temperature.

By the way, what are you driving them out of? If you are using just say, a computer's onboard sound, you may want to consider something like a Nuforce uDac, $99 (in my opinion, an excellent pairing).

Finally, when you're ready for more, try the foam mod (extremely easy by any standard). You can find an informative video here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475511/hd555-foam-mod-video

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 35

Quote:
A good purchase, if a bit on the expensive side to pay for HD555s. I agree - they are among the most comfortable headphones ever made, and I usually don't notice them on when wearing them. I actually ENJOY wearing them - I don't take them off when nothing is playing, in stark contrast to every other headphone I've ever owned, and they're very nice for warming up your ears. They're not great for warm temperatures, however (over 26C, give or take a few) and your ears will feel a bit uncomfortable at that temperature.

By the way, what are you driving them out of? If you are using just say, a computer's onboard sound, you may want to consider something like a Nuforce uDac, $99 (in my opinion, an excellent pairing).

Finally, when you're ready for more, try the foam mod (extremely easy by any standard). You can find an informative video here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475511/hd555-foam-mod-video

That foam mod was what tipped the scales towards the 555's. I will be trying that out at some point.

I'm driving them out of a laptop's audio for now. Considering the modest impedance of 50 ohms I figured it was a non-issue, at least until my ears warm up to them. I will check out the Nuforce uDac. Is that OS X compatible?

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 35
For me, they are the cheap version of the Sennheiser 595s. Great cans for the money. Enjoy! 

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
That foam mod was what tipped the scales towards the 555's. I will be trying that out at some point.

I'm driving them out of a laptop's audio for now. Considering the modest impedance of 50 ohms I figured it was a non-issue, at least until my ears warm up to them. I will check out the Nuforce uDac. Is that OS X compatible?

It is OS X compatible.

However, just because a headphone is low impedance + high sensitivity does NOT mean a laptop or iPod will drive them properly. I know firsthand that amps are there not just to make it louder - the most important job is to make it sound good. And it is a very, very pronounced difference.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
I might also end up with a pair of Grado's for commuting.

Don't use Grados for commuting, they leak a lot and do not isolate at all which may lead to you turning up the volume to hear. I'd find some closed cans for commuting

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
It is OS X compatible.

However, just because a headphone is low impedance + high sensitivity does NOT mean a laptop or iPod will drive them properly. I know firsthand that amps are there not just to make it louder - the most important job is to make it sound good. And it is a very, very pronounced difference.

So, so true.

And yes, look to something other than Grados for commuting, maybe some IEMs?

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
It is OS X compatible.

In which case I will probably pick up one of them, thanks for the recommendation.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 35
Beyers! DT770s are the pinnacle of closed cans! Just kidding, that's my opinion. There's plenty of Sones and alot of people recommend the ATH M50. Some good ultrasones include Hfi 780 and Pro 750.

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 35
Again as posted by another person, "Why not IEMs?" Of course I'm not saying I'm against closed headphones but just wondering. IEMs give you great sound along with being pretty damn small and easily compactable. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
Again as posted by another person, "Why not IEMs?" Of course I'm not saying I'm against closed headphones but just wondering. IEMs give you great sound along with being pretty damn small and easily compactable. 

I just can't get used to them. My ears start getting itchy and I have this plugged up feeling when wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back