Sennheiser HD555/580/600 ?
Mar 31, 2004 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ifgy

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've searched for a definitive answer to my question, but was unable to obtain sufficient knowledge. So, I'll start this thread, because I want to be really sure of my purchase - I hope some of you will take the time to answer.

So, here goes it. I'm on the verge of purchasing either a couple of Sennheiser HD555, 595, 580 II Precision or 600, but is, as so many, in great doubt of which is better. I'll primarily use them in conjunction with my PC's soundcard - an Audigy2, and probably use it with my portable Sony MiniDisc-player. I probably won't post money in a amplifier.

I listen to lounge, house, soul and various other forms of electronic and bassy music. Also movies and games will be played.

Which headphone is best suited for my purpose ? And please, do not mention those Grado cans, since I find them extremely ugly !!
cool.gif

Thank you in advance,

regards

ifgy

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 21
I had been considering the same question, but more specifically between the 555 and 580, due to my budget and system limitations.

I ended up going with the 580, since I'll be running them from a dedicated headphone amp. The general impression I've gotten from reading other threads is that the 580 amped outshines the 555 amped. Mind you I have not actually heard these headphones! My impression is based solely on my "research" on these phones on this site.

If you are not going to purchase an amp, it seems that the 555 or 595 would be a better fit for you. Not only should they perform better without an amp than the 580 or 600, but it seems that their more upfront sound would be better suited for movies and gaming. Or so I've been told.
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 21
Thank you for the feedback, Murdoch.

I've almost reach your "undocumented - ie. untested" conclusion, and my focuse is now primarily on the 595 - if it indeed is easily driven (?).

Anyone else who has an opinion ?
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 21
Stay away from HD580/HD600 if you don't intend to use a dedicated headphone amp. I too have Sony MD player powered by single AA battery and volume is so soft even my grandma would think it is too soft. On the other hand, when properly sourced and driven these phones sound awesome.

595 should work with your current set up, but you should also consider Audio Technica A900 which is in the same price range. I guess A900 is one of the favorite phone of the month to many
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 21
Thanks a many for the feedback.

Guess I'll head for the 555/595's .. I was wondering. Which amplifier would work with a pair of 580/600 ? Can I use a portable amplifier, an amplifier in conjunction with my computer - or would that ruin the EAX and others "capabilities" of the soundcard ?

Regards.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 21
Just ignore that sheep !
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

So, now I'm left all alone again. Where do I go from now ? Is the difference between the HD555 and 595 tremendous, or is there any other preferences I should be aware of ?

smily_headphones1.gif

The place where I'm to buy one of the above the difference in price is approx. 56 USD. Is that worth getting the 595 for, instead of the 555's ?

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 21
I'm a newbie considering the same question for exactly the same use except my portable is a Karma. For 'outside I use ER-6. So far I'm also inclined towards the 555 or 595 depending on how quickly I want a divorce
biggrin.gif

However, have not really checked the A900 until I saw this post and it looks interesting. In price they seem in between the 555 and the 595. However their impedance is much lower than either which makes me think they may be easier to drive (I don't plan on an amp right now). Is this not the case?

Also, how does the Beyer DT860 compare? Is it in the same league or doeas it have a 'back row' sound?

BTW, I also thought the Grados are ugly and based on my 'research' in this forum, they also seem quite uncomfortable both on the ear and the top of the head. Pity since the sound reviews are very good and they seem to have 'my kind of sound'.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 21
I'm a newbie considering the same question for exactly the same use except my portable is a Karma. For 'outside I use ER-6. So far I'm also inclined towards the 555 or 595 depending on how quickly I want a divorce
biggrin.gif

However, have not really checked the A900 until I saw this post and it looks interesting. In price they seem in between the 555 and the 595. However their impedance is much lower than either which makes me think they may be easier to drive (I don't plan on an amp right now). Is this not the case?

Also, how does the Beyer DT860 compare? Is it in the same league or doeas it have a 'back row' sound?

BTW, I also thought the Grados are ugly and based on my 'research' in this forum, they also seem quite uncomfortable both on the ear and the top of the head. Pity since the sound reviews are very good and they seem to have 'my kind of sound'.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 21
I definately second the reccomendation for an amp for the 600's.. I can't speak for the other Senns, but as I await my amp (a PPA) and DAC I'm using my HD-600's straight out of the soundcard..

These babies need more juice! The sound is muted and listless..

My HD-25's sounded way better unamped.. I don't know wether that was due to the reletively low impedence (70 vs. 300), or the sensitivity..

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 21
Eternauta - I, too, have a Karma, and I just got a pair of HD-580s. I had been using Portapros and ER-6s, and I feel that the unamped HD-580s are as good as, if not better than the ER-6s. The isolation on the Etys are of course much better, but the Senns have better bass, and also seems a bit more detailed. Of course, your mileage may vary. In any case, the Karma seems to drive the Senns pretty well.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 21
Thanks Donkey Roxor. Sorry for the response delay. Just finished major upgrade and now I'm back online (2am here on the east coast).

I enjoy very much my ER-6 as well and I'm happy to hear that you have no issue driving your 580 with your Karma. I also plan use with soundcard and AV system but Karma use is critical. The 555 or 595 may also be fine!
580smile.gif

Doug - What soundcard do you use?

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 21
At the moment, Eternauta, I'm using an old DiamondMax MX300. But in May I'll be getting a new computer with an Audigy 2 ZS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back