Sennheiser HD540 Reference Gold pads and foam discs
Mar 2, 2019 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DeanMartelli

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for suggestions for replacement ear pads and foam discs for my Sennheiser HD540 Reference Golds.

The inner foam discs have rotted so need replacing and the ear pads are getting a bit old and tired.

Any suggestions as to where I can get replacements gratefully received.

I’ve heard the Brainwavz pads are good. I have no idea where to find the correct foam discs.

Thanks.

Dean

Attachments

• AE9C161A-4E19-4FE9-AF02-E7CBBF1347FC.jpeg
    AE9C161A-4E19-4FE9-AF02-E7CBBF1347FC.jpeg
    786.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 22B269D7-F21F-4685-AB6F-0777ADA5595A.jpeg
    22B269D7-F21F-4685-AB6F-0777ADA5595A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 13
Some of the brainwavz or geekria earpads have the foam disk also.

I have some velvet geekria and they're comfortable, but going to switch to pu leather brainwavz cause they are angled.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 13
4066379D-3805-4D60-AFD8-63395BA7CEDE.jpeg
6583AF3B-239F-4ED3-9929-3ACE9AA43AD1.jpeg
60362F04-EA61-4BC5-9E11-A2B16CFF1C2E.jpeg
4DCE2B73-3000-4DEA-B44E-CC5936D3D8EB.jpeg
Ok I got the old ear pads off easily. They just pull right off.

I’ve cleaned up and removed all of the disintegrated foam and associated foam dust.

There seems to be another foam disk right at the back of the cup behind the driver unit.

How do I remove that disk and any ideas where I can get a replacement from. It looks pretty rotted.

Mar 3, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 13
I would leave that one for now and see what the replacement comes with

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 13
Hey thanks for the reply once again. I’m probably gonna order some Brainwavz.

I know that piece of foam under the driver is gonna bug me to death. I’d really like to replace it somehow.

Does anyone know how to remove the driver assembly and where to get the replacement foam?

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 13
9B769ABC-14FF-415B-95FB-4BABC90E6B99.jpeg
1FB32044-B756-4196-89E9-62BE73D0F970.jpeg
605B8C63-A56A-455B-B968-2166B5FB8009.jpeg
51740D57-2D1A-4AC7-B774-131D8810AD97.jpeg
And another update!

I’m posting this for future reference should someone else need to disassemble their HD540.

After removing the headphone cable I prised apart the two sections that hold the driver unit. Removed gold metal ring first, it just slips off. I used a credit card to pry the two halves apart.

Now you can see the rotten foam piece that lives between the back of the driver unit and the inside of the cup.

It’s an 80mm disk foam on one side and looks like possibly acoustic fabric on the other, black, side.

Any ideas where I can get one of these disks? Or possibly I can find an 80mm foam disk, or larger and cut it to size, designed for some other large cup headphones.

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Hi. I found some foam discs on eBay. They were the correct diameter and came as a pack with several different thicknesses of foam. I used one that was very close to the thickness of the original and it worked out perfectly. It was quite a while ago now so I don’t have a link to the pack that I bought but I do remember they came from China. I hope this helps. Good luck 😊

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 13
Hi. I found some foam discs on eBay. They were the correct diameter and came as a pack with several different thicknesses of foam. I used one that was very close to the thickness of the original and it worked out perfectly. It was quite a while ago now so I don’t have a link to the pack that I bought but I do remember they came from China. I hope this helps. Good luck 😊

Thanks. How did it turn out? Which thickness did you use? I see some on ebay that are 2mm, 4mm and one that is 5mm thick. Did you use the same size for both the inner foam and the under foam? Just curious which size you would recommend based on your experience.

Thanks,
Andrew

Oct 10, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Hi,

A bit late to the party on this thread, but I have renovated quite a few Sennheiser HD540 and HD250 headphones. The HD250 also has additional foam (and felt) hidden inside the drivers that needs to be replaced. Often the cushions and flexible part of the head-band need replacing as well.

Here are a few of my tips:

I stopped trying to find foam discs of the correct diameter & thickness for all these replacements. Too much hassle and too expensive (plus some are odd-shaped). In the end I looked around for suitable bulk sheets of foam, after all Sennheiser will also cut these things out of large rolls of foam they source from somewhere.

Then I found this foam on Amazon:

PC Computer Fan Dust Proof Filter Foam Sheet

or:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F8YZIMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is marketed as computer fan dust proof filter foam and comes in 100cm x 100cm square sheets of black foam, so you can cut out as many big, small & odd-shaped pieces of foam as you need. I held this foam up against all the different pieces of original foam in the HD540 & HD250. Honestly, to me it looks and feels the same. Same thickness (about 2.5 to 3mm), same density, same colour, same "sponginess" etc. So far (3 years and counting) this foam has worked extremely well in all the places where I needed to replace the foam in the HD540 / HD250 headphones.

For the felt I use a pack of large un-treated felt cleaning cloths I picked up from the local hardware store (Robert Dyas). It comes in assorted garish colours, but fortunately also contains some neutral blue-greyish ones. Again, this felt feels very similar to the original stuff in the Sennheisers, feels like the same acoustic density, same thickness. Being mineral felt it does tend to dull hobby knives quickly when cutting: have some spare blades ready.

For replacement of the flexible pleather part of the head-band (some are very deteriorated) I cut the same shapes out of both a piece of 0.5mm thick black polystyrene modelling sheet (incl. the location tabs) and a piece of cloth-backed black pleather furniture upholstery (excl, the location tabs), and stick the two together using double sided floor tape designed for use on vinyl flooring (you need tape resistant to migration of the plasticisers used in pleather & vinyl furniture upholstery, something I learnt from working with pleather and vinyl in camera repairs whilst trying to avoid contact glues which are very messy).

Replacement cushions I get from China. I spent ages trying to find ones that have an acoustically acceptable density of memory foam and thickness of pleather (as I have gotten older I find I now need easy-clean pleather, velours cushions have become problematic for reasons of hygiene.) These cushions so far have had the least impact on sound compared to the originals and I find them to work equally well on the HD540 and HD250. For me they are preferable to the pleather cushions Sennheiser still has available for the HD430, which also fit the HD540 and HD250. The orinal seller on eBay I can no longer find, but they seem to have changed shop-front and these appear to be exactly the same (albeit that they have now doubled the price, I used to get them for £4 per pair and fortunately have quite a stock!):

Replacement Ear Pad Cushions

Most other ones I have tried have too high a density of memory foam which emphasises the bass far too much. To be honest, memory foam seems unavoidable these days but for these older Sennheisers in general it is not such a good foam to use. IMO the original open-cell polyurethane foam is acoustically better for these old cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back