Sennheiser HD540 Ref Gold foam layer gone.
May 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

p a t r i c k

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD540 Ref Golds which I' bought new about 18 years ago. I used them a lot for the first ten years when I lived in a flat in London, then on moving to the house I now live in I didn't have a great deal of use for them so put them in their rather fancy box and forgot about them.

In the last weeks I've started a great revival of using headphones and for this I got out my HD540s. I'm glad to say that they sound every bit as good as they did when I packed them away but the thin foam layer between the ear and transducer had turned mostly to dust! I used a handheld vacuum cleaner to remove the dust and flakes of the foam and you can see in this picture (1280 x 960) that it has gone:

Foam layer gone

I wonder if this is going to be a problem? Will stuff start getting into the transducer in some way? If it is a problem how should I fix it?

Fortunately the plastic gauze that I see which was behind the foam seems to be very fine in nature, so the holes in it are very small I guess.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

May 10, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 4
that should not be an issue. but- you could pull off the earpads- they fit around a snap ring which pulls off- (i had an hd520) and put some thin cloth screen betwen the pad and snap ring. or use a dirrefent earpad- i used the pad from a jvc hag101 which fits perfect and has a cloth screen

May 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi

Thank you ourfpshero for your advice. I want to be sure I understand. To pull off the earpads, do I just pull on them until they come off?

I ask because I want to be sure I will not damage the headphones.

I will look into JVC HAG101.

May 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 4
yes- if they are built same as hd520. they should snap off without too much pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back