Sennheiser HD518 Advice
Apr 30, 2015 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Poofball

New Head-Fier
So I got my new HD518s today and they're pretty great, but I have a couple of questions.

I currently have them plugged into my computer using the integrated soundcard on my motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V LX). Should I get a better sound card or anything along those lines, and if I do, what kind of improvements can I expect? My budget is around $120. Also, I'm a bit of a basshead, so is there any way I can make the bass stand out a bit more without making it sound muffled? (Genres Dubstep, DNB etc.)

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Sound cards
Asus Xonar DG ($25) or DGX ($35) or Creative Sound Blaster Z ($80).

External USB-DAC-Amp.
FiiO E10K ($76) or Schiit Fulla ($79).

If your really just into music and want something easy to hook up, then get the USB DAC/amps.
The Xonars come with Dolby headphone and the SB-Z has SBX Headphone.
The SB-Z's 22-Ohm headphone output impedance might give the HD518 a tiny bit more bass.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 7
I think your motherboard uses a Realtek ALC887. I have a Dell XPS8000 and access to a XPS7100 whose motherboards use the same codec, and I found the sound to lack a bit of resolution, and the bass is just a bit too loose. I ended up installing a Xonar DG and I'm pretty pleased with the performance and think it pairs well with the HD518 and HD598.

The Xonar DG is a PCI card. The DGX is the PCI Express variant.

May 5, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Just installed the Xonar DG, and it's pretty much exactly how you described it, @kjk1281! This is definitely what I was looking for. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 7
  Just installed the Xonar DG, and it's pretty much exactly how you described it, @kjk1281! This is definitely what I was looking for. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the Xonar DG and the Asus software.

May 5, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 7

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the Xonar DG and the Asus software.

I didn't do it in this order, no, what difference does it make? It appears to be working fine as it is, but then again I'm completely clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Also, anything important I should know about the settings? I've set it to 2 channels, PCM 48 KHz, 2 Speakers, enabled Hi-Fi & disabled GX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back