sennheiser hd497 review
Nov 3, 2004 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

headphonegeek

100+ Head-Fier
as a beginner i'll do the best review i can although i'm not a pro.compared to my px100 the sound has more detail.it has as a signature that can give others goosebumps.i remember years ago when i owned the 580 listening to my 497 it reminded me very much of the 580's sound.fantastic detail,soundstage,vocals...etc.i love the fact that it does not need an amp and the parts are detachable making it easy to store.definitely to my ears they sound better than the px100 and the portapro.i hope this is a satisfactory review for my first try.i respect all who post here.
biggrin.gif
for those who knew i owned the orpheus it was second hand and sadly suffered from a powerful power surge.
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 27
I also like a lot Senn HD497. I like also px100 and I it is more portable for use with my cd player. I use HD497 in my HIFI system, but the CD player can power it (both px100 and hd497 have 32 ohms impedance).

The Senn familly is wonderful. I use also PX200 for some isolation in travel at work. In summer, I prefer Senn mx500.

-Maurus

Nov 13, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 27
Being a novice, I think the sennheiser 497s sound spectacular. Then again, I have yet to try anything more expensive.

I'm curious as to how I go about detaching them?

Nov 13, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by abrichr
Being a novice, I think the sennheiser 497s sound spectacular. Then again, I have yet to try anything more expensive.

I'm curious as to how I go about detaching them?

For the earpads, I find it best to slide them to the top of their groove, then pull and twist them slightly. They should pop right out.

For the cables, you just kinda pull the cord connector under the pads. But I bet you're only talking about the earpads.
cool.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I'd rather have a Grado in that price range.

The Grados own everything below $100, imo.

Currently listening to: "Future Proof" by Massive Attack on my *NEW* KSC75s.

Do the Grados play all genre of music better? I'm on my second day of burning in my HD280pros and have played everything from The Roots to Led Zepplin and it does make it all sound real good (Jazz, Classical, Hip Hop, Alternative,All Rock). Techno is the only genre that these cans can't handle now, but that might be because they're not fully broken in yet.

Nov 13, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 27
Nice write-up headphonegeek
smily_headphones1.gif

crazyfrenchman27, I think such generalizations are hard to make. For example, I would prefer the 497 to the SR 60 for classical music.

Nov 13, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 27
i think HD497 is a good choice, since it is more portable and providing a really great sound.i bought one a month ago, and it is becoming better and better. I also have the grado sr60. they have quite different sounds, basically, i prefer to use the sr60 when i enjoy the punk and rock, because its sound seems to be more "lively" but a little bit "artificial"; on the other hand, HD497 is definitly good at classical music and the voice of human, the sound is more accurate.
i love them both!

by the way, i don't like px100 is good enough for its price, but it has a good looking
icon10.gif
compared with px200, i don't think its price is as reasonable.

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 27
MuzlL0dr, many thanks for your advice. I just took them apart right now, it's so convenient! Now I'm wondering what would be the best method of storing them for light travel, e.g. from class to class. Or perhaps it would not be wise to take them apart that often?

Also, I'm glad to hear the positive opinions on this pair of headphones. $100 for me is a major purchase, and I was somewhat worried when I read some posts that the Sennheiser 497s aren't worth it. Of course, I did my research beforehand, but it was mainly at www.headphone.com. Anyhow, I don't listen to anything but classical, so if these are the headphones to get for classical, I'm very content with my purchase!

I am curious, however, if there are any better headphones below $100 that are better for classical music? If no, then what would be the next step up?

EDIT:

I would also like to know if there's any way to replace the pads on these headphones. Somehow, the material seems like it might not last very long.

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Nice write-up headphonegeek
smily_headphones1.gif

crazyfrenchman27, I think such generalizations are hard to make. For example, I would prefer the 497 to the SR 60 for classical music.

I'd rather have a Grado SR60, even for classical music.

The Grados are just better, hands down...the HD497s are too dry and bleed bleed together instruments...but apparently everything is subject to one's opinion.

Currently listening to: "Nobody Knows You" by Eric Clapton on my *NEW* KSC75s.

Nov 14, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

I am curious, however, if there are any better headphones below $100 that are better for classical music? If no, then what would be the next step up?

If you can get the AKG K501s used for $100, they would be the best classical headphones under $100. They have amazing detail, instrument separation, and a vast soundstage.. but the soundstage sounds more towards the side than in front of you. I even perfer them to the HD-650s (which stock cable) for classical music. The problem though, is that they need alot of power to drive them well. I also think the er-4s are great for classical music. They are much more practical since they are portable and closed.

Nov 14, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

MuzlL0dr, many thanks for your advice. ...

EDIT:

I would also like to know if there's any way to replace the pads on these headphones. Somehow, the material seems like it might not last very long.

Hey, you're welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif
I personally would like some thicker headphones. My only real complaint about the 'phones is that the material that covers the drivers actually rests on my ears, and it get uncomfortable after a while. If I could find some thicker pads that would hold the drivers off my ears, that would be great.

Nov 14, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
If you can get the AKG K501s used for $100, they would be the best classical headphones under $100.

I found a pair on ebay for 150$CAN (125$US). It says the list price is 252$. The item is shipping from the States, so I'm assuming that this is in US dollars. Sound like a good deal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by natsuiro
They have amazing detail, instrument separation, and a vast soundstage.. but the soundstage sounds more towards the side than in front of you.

Could you explain to me what the soundstage is?

Quote:

I even perfer them to the HD-650s (which stock cable) for classical music.

What does it mean to stock cable?

Quote:

The problem though, is that they need alot of power to drive them well. I also think the er-4s are great for classical music. They are much more practical since they are portable and closed.

I find open headphones would work better in a classroom setting, where I have to be able to hear the teacher. Also, I understood that closed headphones distort the acoustics of the music?

Nov 14, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzlL0dr
Hey, you're welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif
I personally would like some thicker headphones. My only real complaint about the 'phones is that the material that covers the drivers actually rests on my ears, and it get uncomfortable after a while. If I could find some thicker pads that would hold the drivers off my ears, that would be great.

But, is it possible to remove the pads on these headphones? I was sort of nudging them out from the sides, but I didn't want to break anything. Also, any thoughts on wear and tear from taking them apart too often? What about storage?

Nov 14, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

But, is it possible to remove the pads on these headphones? I was sort of nudging them out from the sides, but I didn't want to break anything. Also, any thoughts on wear and tear from taking them apart too often? What about storage?

Yeah, to remove the pads, I just grabbed them and pulled. They come off easily enough. Wait, are you referring to removing JUST the padding, or the whole earcup assembly? If it's the whole thing, just do what I said in the previous post about sliding them all the way to the top and then twist-pulling them off upwards. The key is that they should be removed pulling up towards the top of the headband. I imagine like any plastic connectors, they might wear out after time, but who knows how long that might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back