Sennheiser HD485 or Grado SR60/80
May 28, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Grados are sure fantastic for jazz and rock, and good for electronic.
I don't quite know about rap, but it is not bad. Grado is a very good sound value for this price, especially 60 as I read on the forum. I tried a 497 and I've been deeply disappointed !

But the problem is that grado are really opened back. For what kind of travel ? Train, bus, plane ? 'cause I own a MS1 and I admit that they really leak the outside sound, in the subway especially. And in a plane, it would be a bit disturbing for your neighbour. It is not dramatical if you don't force the volume.
If you don't care about that, then go on with Grado.

May 28, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 8
Grado slam rules... so fun, addictive and involving.
The dynamic range of my SR40 and MS2 is what surprised me the most. The quiet passages are ultra quiet, and the louds feel like youre on stage with AC/DC.

Also, IMHO there is a small soundstage with these.

Garrett

May 28, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 8
I got to listen to the Sennheiser HD485 at the recent Chicago Head-Fi/Headroom meet. That 'phone is not my cup of tea: I prefer the Grado SR-60 to the HD485. The HD485 sounded too thick for my tastes - but then again, I can see how some people might like that 'phone.

May 28, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by winged creature
travelling will be for bus and plane, i would prefer no leaking. Would the Senns be better for isolating sound?

Not necessarily. The Senns (485) are also open, and thus will leak some sound - almost as much as the Grados will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back