Sennheiser HD477 vs. Sennheiser HD497
Jul 3, 2002 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AnimeVision

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new to this forum as well as headphones in general. I've been browsing this site for a while and I've learned alot about various headphone types as well as specific uses for some headphones.

Yesterday I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD477 headphones at my local circuit city. I'm pleased with how they sound right out of the package although I think they would benefit from some run-in with my XLO-Burn in CD. Anyway, My previous experience with headphones has been limited to Grado and Sony.

This morning I decided to do some research concerning my headphone purchase. Thats when I discovered the Sennheiser HD497s were also sold at Circuit City. Its impossible to compare the two sets of headphones at my local Circuit City since there is no listening station (even if there was one the amplification and source would limit my ability to compare them anyway). I didn't want to buy them and have to take them back so I would like to know if anyone here who has had experience with them can tell me the difference between the two sets of headphones where sound quality is concerened.

Jul 4, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 4
The I have both, The 497 is brighter than the 477 which gives them more detail. The difference to me was that i could hear the plucking of a string instrument on the 497 and couldn't on the 477. The mids are also a little stronger on the 497 but both are recessed compared to the other frequencies. I also found the fabric pads of the 477 to be a little scratchy.

My HD280s get far more use than these two these days, flatter freqency response, deeper bass and a smoother sound with far more clarity and detail.

(HBZ)

Jul 11, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 4
FYI, both Best Buy and Circuit City carry the HD477's - but in the Chicagoland area, brick-and-mortar Circuit City stores stock them; brick-and-mortar Best Buy stores in some states (but not Illinois) stock them. So, if I were to stick to Best Buy to buy those HD477's, and I were stuck in friggin' Chicagoland, then I would have to order the HD477's through BB's Web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back