Sennheiser HD448 vs Sony MDR-V6
Jan 4, 2011 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Trollzama-V6

New Head-Fier
Disclaimer: This is not a review, or a comparison. This is a question of which headphones I should get.

From the Disclaimer, you should already be able to tell that I need some help. Recently, I've been completely fixed on buying the V6s, after seeing some good things about it on this site. I bought them from a seller in Hong Kong on Ebay (recipe for disaster) and they turned out to be fake. Now, I am returning them for a full refund, and now I want to know, what should I get next? Should I invest in another, hopefully real, V6? Or should I go with the Sennheisers? It's your choice. I'll give you the details now.

I listen to Rock, Metal, Orchestral, and Alternative. I like my bass to be thumpy and strong, but not too strong as to overshadow the rest of the music. I'd prefer which ever one I get to have some isolation, as I don't want people complaining to turn my music down when I turn it up.

My budget is 100$ or lower, and I will be using the headphones in question with my Compaq Pressario CQ61 PC, my TV (somewhat), and my Blackberry Pearl 8130. But that's where problems arise. I've heard that the Sennheisers aren't really set up for the portable role, and would sound rather tinny out of something like the Blackberry. Also, after shipping and all that, the Sennheisers come to quite a bit more than 100$, which may be a problem. That's why, in this decision, I'm leaning more towards the V6s.
Yes, of course the Sennheisers have much better sound I hear, but I need something I can use out of the Blackberry without losing sound quality, and that just sounds like the V6s to me.

But I'd really like to your opinions. I will put a poll to see which one you want me to buy. You can also tell me why you voted for those cans in the forum.

Thank You,
Trollzama

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 11
Having heard both, I'm gonna say the V6's.

As you mentioned, isolation is important, and the V6's isolate much better. The sound between them is pretty different though. The 448's are definitely better for classical, but for just about anything else I prefer the V6's.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 11
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Hmm... I'm thinking of the Sennheiser HD438s instead of the 448s. Opinions?

Many...

Yet first some questions. What kind of headphone are you looking for? How does the music have to sound for you to enjoy it?

The V6 is a good first headphone but it has a very distinctive sound. Besides that it is quite bright which makes it ideal to quickly notice details and flaws of recordings, hence it being called aggressive. Brightness through a headphone can become tiresome. 

Also: amplification or no amplication. If not stick to 32 to 80 ohms headphones. The Sennheiser HD4x8-series although fine without, improves with amplification but a simple Fiio E5 already makes a difference. Get a cMoy and you could be done, bass boost is addicting 
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm... I'm thinking of the Sennheiser HD438s instead of the 448s. Opinions?

Many...

Yet first some questions. What kind of headphone are you looking for? How does the music have to sound for you to enjoy it?

The V6 is a good first headphone but it has a very distinctive sound. Besides that it is quite bright which makes it ideal to quickly notice details and flaws of recordings, hence it being called aggressive. Brightness through a headphone can become tiresome. 

Also: amplification or no amplication. If not stick to 32 to 80 ohms headphones. The Sennheiser HD4x8-series although fine without, improves with amplification but a simple Fiio E5 already makes a difference. Get a cMoy and you could be done, bass boost is addicting 
wink.gif

Well, I listen to Rock/Metal, Acoustic, Orchestral (In order of most listened to least listened).

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 11
The HD4x8-series offers decent isolation, good enough to enjoy Metal in a library on a moderate volume. 

I am not sure but check out some information about the M50, SRH440, Superlux 669 and check out Ljokerl's thread with all the portable headphones. These could suit your needs too.

I had the HD428 and Metal sounded good but a general description of its sound is 'boring' and bass impact is not really there. Bass lines are nothing to worry about. If the links I posted have not convinced you to make choice so be it. 

On the V6, if you really want it get it. 

I would say, get a PX200 II, very comfortable on ears with decent isolation, little leakage and balanced warmish sound. If you can audition one try it.

My two cents and good luck...

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 11
I've had the 448's for quite a few months now (first 'real' pair) and here are my impressions: 

Detail is fantastic. I've heard things in my music library I never knew were there, and getting it in lossless only strengthens that. Bass isn't particularly thumpy or heavy, but still clear. Finding good bass in headphones in this price range will be difficult. Good highs and mids, and I listen mostly to rock/progressive rock/post-hardcore/classical/industrial/alternative (NIN/Radiohead/Bloc Party/ orchestral music all sound fantastic. Very crisp!) and they offer relatively good sound isolation if you don't crank it. Overall, I'm very, very happy with them. 

With all that said, I find them ridiculously uncomfortable for large periods of time. My ears have gotten mostly use to it and I can wear them for quite a few hours now, but they press down on my ears and they start hurting after a while.... they also can be quite warm. Another problem is what I believe people call 'veiling' and the music can sound somewhat distant. It doesn't happen often, but once in a while certain records sound very distant and thus, need to be turned up to hear. That's probably my biggest complaint about them. 

For me, the benefits far outweigh their problems. 

If you want to ask anything specific and random about them, shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help. 

-Vader

Users who are viewing this thread

Back