Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Apr 25, 2003 at 8:15 AM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
if you like detail. Then the V6 will suit you well as well. While the V6s are not super musical phones, they are VERY detailed and analytical sounding. The cans will pick apart your music, and you will hear all the flaws.

Agreed. My experience with non-crappy cans is limited so I can't make direct comparisons, but the V6 is very detailed. You'll be able to pick out every pop, hiss, hum, or unwanted background noise as well as every other sound that goes into your music. Some people understandably find this too distracting when just listening to music, but for studio work it's a great tool.

(To lend some credit to my opinion, I did in fact use it for some home studio work. As it turns out, I suck at making music, but having the V6 to work with was a boon, regardless.)

And for those who don't already know, the V6 isn't so much bassy in the sense that it has too much bass, but rather in the sense that it will reproduce very low frequencies, and in the sense that you can really feel the bass (on recordings that have it, mind you) as well as hearing it. Again, though, I could understand how some people would find the bass to have too much presence.

Apr 25, 2003 at 9:20 AM Post #47 of 65
As a former HD280 Pro owner, I should say that when I compared the 280s to some 7506 I liked the HD280 better. The bass is tighter but can go very deep, the mids and highs are just better. The only problem I had with these (that's why I ended trading them) was the comfort. I have rather small head and they excerted too much pressure. Not immediately notable but causes some discomfort after about 2 hours.
I'd agree with people saying that they sound mediocre when driven from from 5 mW portable sources, but don't blame it on the phones. They were NOT designed to be used with portables, although 2x10mW and above drives them OK. The best results I obtained were plugging them to a receiver output. They sonded a bit warmer and the overal representation was in a word accurate.
To me they are very good studio monitors, flatter response compared to V7506 or DT250.
If I have to construct the dream closed multripurpose headphone I would have:
The isolation of HD280
The sensitivity of 7506
The comfort of DT250
The quality of construction of HD280
The low bass of 7506
The mid bass and mids of DT250
The treble of HD280
I know I am asking too much.

Apr 25, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

And for those who don't already know, the V6 isn't so much bassy in the sense that it has too much bass, but rather in the sense that it will reproduce very low frequencies, and in the sense that you can really feel the bass (on recordings that have it, mind you) as well as hearing it.

Hmm. Am thinking maybe I should get some V6's. I always thought they were for the Duh-M!-Basses. I don't mind bass, see, it's just when the bass is overpowering the rest of the music that pisses me off. For instance, today, with my (non-amped) D-141, I popped the bass boost up the Mid for some hard rock, because the drums were just sounding anemic. I listened very carefully, and after re-assuring myself that no, it wasn't drowning out the cymbals, or making it muddy, I happyily listened.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 25, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #50 of 65
Get the Beyerdynamic 770 Pros along with an amp and you won't be sorry.

I just got my 770s today from Headroom and I'll tell ya what... even right out of the box I love 'em... I finally found what I was looking for in a closed headphone for use at work.

Look for my review post to read more about why I like these headphones that I'm gonna post in a few minutes.

Glenn

Apr 25, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #51 of 65
Hmm.. yes, i had considered those as well. I don't really want to have an amp to drive them, as i will use them for DJing in clubs and stuff.

would a 150mw headphone out be sufficient?

Apr 25, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #52 of 65
I'm can't answer that as I don't know all the ins and outs of that stuff... maybe someone else can comment.

These cans require 250 ohms... I don't know how that translates though.

Apr 26, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnSmith
Hmm.. yes, i had considered those as well. I don't really want to have an amp to drive them, as i will use them for DJing in clubs and stuff.

would a 150mw headphone out be sufficient?

Well, for reference, in order to drive the DT770 to its maximum SPL of 116 dB, it needs a headphone jack that can output 100mW into 250 ohms and 7V into 250 ohms.

You can certainly try contacting the maker of whatever device you're proposing to use and ask them for their specific numbers.

IMHO, amplifier manufactures should really furnish output numbers for their gear along the lines of the table below. However, I also realize this isn't likely to happen anytime soon, LOL.
Quote:

TravelLite

Apr 26, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #55 of 65
Well, this is my 2nd day in this NG, and this discussion about the Senns HD280s (was it) was interesting. I was doing some research yesterday, trying to decide whether or not I wanted to get new ear cushions for my HD520s, or get something newer, maybe like this Philips HP170s someone remarked on at Target. Well, I decided that I have never heard headphones better, more clear, with good low, mid, and high end, with such clarity, then my HD520s. So, I ordered the new cushions. The poster here tried to compare his Senns to the Radio Shack phones. Sorry, but I couldn't imagine comparing anything to Radio Shack. Now the HD520s, I believe, are long no longer available, but do you'all know where on the Senns ladder they would belong in reference to the HD280s?? Because I am surprised by his results, since mine are so AWESOME!!

Apr 26, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #56 of 65
i have senn 280s for about 3 weeks now and i like them...i wish i had got open because they get stuff after awhile. The bass is very poor IMO. And they look really dorky the way they bend out like a square rather than comforming all around your head.

but they sound great!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by shkarst
The poster here tried to compare his Senns to the Radio Shack phones. Sorry, but I couldn't imagine comparing anything to Radio Shack. Now the HD520s, I believe, are long no longer available, but do you'all know where on the Senns ladder they would belong in reference to the HD280s?? Because I am surprised by his results, since mine are so AWESOME!!

I know, i can't imagine comparing radioshack with senns either! that's why i got the senn's, i figured i needed better sound quality than radio shack.

but honestly, even after burning in, and testing on a wide variety of sources, my $50 radioshack cans whoop the $192 HD280s ass in all respects, except for isolation.

i wish you guys could hear them, they sound really nice.

i am returning the HD280s, and getting a pair of sony 7506 with the beyer pad mod.

Apr 28, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #58 of 65
$192 for 280 Pro's?! I don't think they're over $100 retail, are they? Mine were $80 NIB on eBay.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 29, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #60 of 65
My new Sennheiser HD 280 Pros came in today from Amazon. I must say they are dandy cans!

A lot of the complaints others have had just don't apply to me and my likings. For one, I've never been spoiled enough to have sources or headphones or loudspeakers that would make these Sennheiser's sound anything close to "bad" or "harsh" or whatever.

As for the coiled cord, that's a plus for me! Longer straight cords have a tendency to get entangled under my chair, with things on my desk, etc. etc.

They are a bit tight on my head right now, but I expect they'll loosen up a tad. I am experiencing a little bit of listening fatigue, but all of my previous headphones have caused the same for the first few days of listening.

Overall, great low-end audiophile phones, for those of us who can't afford all the fancy-schmancy stuff!

--Chris

PS - I'm in audio nirvana today, what with the Sennheisers arriving and the new Apple music service. All I need now is an iPod!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back