Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Apr 23, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnSmith
yep, i think that is what i am going for.

but, i think i am also going to keep these HD280s, just for their awesome isolation, i can use them at clubs and raves to mix, and leave my other ones at home.

and either it's just that they are growing on me, or burning in, but they are sounding better and better everyday now.

I just listened to

Evanscene - Bring me to Life

and was surprised to hear bass frequencies i had no idea about before!

The V6s isolote just as much as the 280 pros.

Apr 23, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #32 of 65
I've never used the V6's, so I can't comment...
But from what I've read, they are suited more to dumba... er, bassheads
wink.gif

My 280's, when not listening to music, give me maybe 5-10dB sound dampening. I can still hear people talking, for instance. (very nice if you wish to listen to a conversation... slip headphones on, leave music off...
very_evil_smiley.gif
) With music playing, even softly, I usually can't hear a thing. Quite nice.
As for Evanescence... my personal opinion is that they suck. They've been compared to Linkin Park. Methinks not. While the female vocals are very nice, and not something you find often, (Britney Spears not-withstanding) but overall, I didn't like the music. And of course, in usual Head-Fi fashion, this is all strictly IMO
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 23, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by septikus
It is possible that your hd280's just need even more burn in than they already have. When i first got mine and burned them in for about three days i was still not quite satisfied, but after two weeks of occasional listening amounting to maybe three more days of continous playback I think it has improved markedly. I too was a little dissapointed with the low end of these 'phones, but i think they do improve after a lot of burn in and entailing psycho-acclimation.

If you do decide to try out the v6's, which can be found for quite a bit cheaper than the hd280's do look into doing the beyer pad mod. It uses larger pads that actually make the v6 circumaural, thus blocking out more noise than a stock v6.

Good luck whatever choice you make.

Definitely, i think you are right on that score. they are getting better all the time i listen to them now. I'm dissapointed that i wasted so much time reviewing them before they were burned in, they sounded like shiite!

I think i might get some V6s, with the beyer pads of course. for some reason, i have a hunch that the V6 are going to go out of production soon, in favour of the more expensive and far inferior V###DJ ones.

Apr 23, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23

Good to know. That must be with the beyer pads only though right?

Quote:

I've never used the V6's, so I can't comment...
But from what I've read, they are suited more to dumba... er, bassheads

well, i love my bass that's for sure! and i need it to mix records with. but, i DO like a nice clean detailed headphone that i can listen to a song and hear all the nuances too.

Quote:

My 280's, when not listening to music, give me maybe 5-10dB sound dampening. I can still hear people talking, for instance. (very nice if you wish to listen to a conversation... slip headphones on, leave music off...) With music playing, even softly, I usually can't hear a thing. Quite nice.

I can't really say how much damping there is, but i can't hear much at all with them on. i can barely hear people talking next to me, even if the music is off. if it's on, they i can't hear a thing, not even the phone right next to me.

Quote:

As for Evanescence... my personal opinion is that they suck. They've been compared to Linkin Park. Methinks not. While the female vocals are very nice, and not something you find often, (Britney Spears not-withstanding) but overall, I didn't like the music. And of course, in usual Head-Fi fashion, this is all strictly IMO

yeah, to each his own. I don't really like evanscene too much either to tell you the truth. I am more into electronic music, like trance and house, and even some techno.

Apr 23, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

I'm not sure if that is true. I can't say that it isn't, but it doesn't seem likely. The pads on the HD280 are big enough to create a tight seal around your ears, while the V6 pads sit on your ears. It seems like there would be less isolation with the V6, at least with no music on. With music playing, the difference might not be significant.

Apr 23, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #36 of 65
if you like detail. Then the V6 will suit you well as well. While the V6s are not super musical phones, they are VERY detailed and analytical sounding. The cans will pick apart your music, and you will hear all the flaws.

You will see the V6s used in movie production, DJing and Music production moreso than any other headphones. They are *that* good.

Apr 23, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
biggrin.gif

I concur, they just ripped off the operatic/gothic female vocals of bands like The Gathering, Theatre Of Tragedy, and Nightwish, who've been doing it for years, and stuck it with some watered-down commercial numetal, calling it "revolutionary." What a fraud. If you like them, listen to the bands I just mentioned to hear what can really be done.

Apr 24, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #38 of 65
I actually don't like metal-type music. I prefer classic and hard rock, and some alternative. Rap is right out.

Apr 24, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 65
well, enough topic digressing.

the store i got my HD280pros from finally got back to me, and they will give me an RMA and let me return the cans.

I am fairly sure i want to return them and get the Sony V6 or 7506 now instead. apparently the only differnece between the two is a gold plated headphone plug on the 7506.

I wasn't able to find either of these cans on the Meir or headroom sites, but i found the 7506 here for only $109 american.

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl?...03042108522867

good deal? someone else said they saw them on amazon i think for $70, but i could be wrong.

Apr 24, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #40 of 65
Well, since the V6's seem to be more suited for people who enjoy bass. I myself like bass to be tight and present, not overbearing. But to each his own...

Apr 24, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I concur, they just ripped off the operatic/gothic female vocals of bands like The Gathering, Theatre Of Tragedy, and Nightwish, who've been doing it for years, and stuck it with some watered-down commercial numetal, calling it "revolutionary." What a fraud. If you like them, listen to the bands I just mentioned to hear what can really be done.

Ditto. Nightwish wipes the floor with them. Crappy nu-metal + okay, ripped off vocals = meh.

Er...or are we not supposed to be talking about this anymore?
redface.gif

Apr 24, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #42 of 65
Amazon doesn't carry the V6 to my knowledge. But you can find it cheaper than $109. DJmart has them for $79.99 (LINK). And you will probably be able to find them used for about $60 (Ebay or the For Sale forum here). The difference between the V6 and 7506 are indeed as you mentioned -- the 7506 has a gold plate and blue stickers.

As you felt the bass on the HD280 didn't quite do it for you, you will probably be more pleased with the V6. It is also extremeley detailed, as mentioned above. The one thing you may not like, however, is that if you found the HD280 harsh in the highs, the V6 are going to go even beyond that with it's very forward presentation. But give it a shot, and see what you think.

Another thing to consider is getting the Beyer DT250 velour pads to replace the stock V6 pads. The velour pads make the phones much more comfortable, IMO. They may also reduce the treble harshness a bit.

As for isolation, the HD280 started out isolating a fair amount more than the V6 did for me, but as the band on the HD280 became looser (and more comfortable), I found that the isolating factor became a bit less. When I finally decided to sell my HD280 (which I like very much -- they just didn't have a place in my repertoire after receiving the W1000), I would say the isolation between the HD280 and the V6 were about equal.

Apr 24, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
Amazon doesn't carry the V6 to my knowledge. But you can find it cheaper than $109. DJmart has them for $79.99 (LINK). And you will probably be able to find them used for about $60 (Ebay or the For Sale forum here). The difference between the V6 and 7506 are indeed as you mentioned -- the 7506 has a gold plate and blue stickers.

yeah, someone found it for me. I want to find somewhere in canada hopefully.

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/...188234-0013737

Quote:

As you felt the bass on the HD280 didn't quite do it for you, you will probably be more pleased with the V6. It is also extremeley detailed, as mentioned above. The one thing you may not like, however, is that if you found the HD280 harsh in the highs, the V6 are going to go even beyond that with it's very forward presentation. But give it a shot, and see what you think.
[/B]

Yeah, and i don't mind the treble on the 280 so much now that they are broken in it's considerably warmer.

Quote:

Another thing to consider is getting the Beyer DT250 velour pads to replace the stock V6 pads. The velour pads make the phones much more comfortable, IMO. They may also reduce the treble harshness a bit.
[/B]

For sure! and they will help with isolation as well i believe. Where can i get these?

Apr 24, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #44 of 65
I believe you can contact Beyerdynamic directly and order the pads. They should be able to handle phone orders. Price on the pads I believe is about $20, with maybe $5 additional for shipping. Here is link to their North American contact info:

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/support.html

I know B&H Photo carries some Beyerdynamic pads, but I do not know if they have the DT250 pads. If you need a specific model number, here is a link to the complete parts list of the DT250:

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/pdf/DT_108_109/250parts.pdf

I'm not sure which is the model number on the chart, though. I'm sure a Beyerdynamic rep could help you out with it.

Apr 24, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 65
Jeez, I haven't listened to Nightwish in years and years. I hope that girl has kept up with her vocal training though. When I heard her so long ago, she sounded awful. Well, I mean, she sounded like a second year student. Decent voice, up and coming, too early to tell, but someone who seemed to try. Certainly not good enough to lead a song operatically. She was years away from that.

I remembered it because I liked the idea of a real open voice in rock music, and I was afraid that the fame would go to her head and she'd stop really and truly improving. I wondered how she turned out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back