Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Apr 21, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #16 of 65
I listend to the 280pros for a bit, and I was never impressed. They sounded too mellow for me, and was somewhat muffled. I much prefer the upfront sound of the V6 over the 280 pros.

Apr 21, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
I much prefer the upfront sound of the V6 over the 280 pros.

That's because you're just a basshead!!
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 65
The Beyerdynamic 770 are what I ordered from Headroom along with their Headroom Little amp.

Unfortunately, the 770s have been out of stock for well over a week and I'm awaiting them on backorder.

Apr 22, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 65
Don't be dissing the 280 Pro's. They aren't ugly. They're utlitarian. (sp?) And if you like the Sony look, grab the new Silver ones. Although I think all black is better.

As for the sound, I burned in for 48 hours (had to stop due to complaints by rest of family of constant faint sounds) and let me tell you, the bass is *so* improved over out of the box, it's not even funny. And mids aren't as muddied, and treble isn't so harsh. When I first got them, a cymbal crash would make me cringe. Now it's just a pleasent shimmer.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 22, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #22 of 65
I never said they were ugly. in fact i rather like the look of them. and they DO sound better after burn in, but not LOADS better. not even better than the cans i already have, which are 1/4 the price.

the bass is still too rolled off, and the treble too bright, even after 100 hours of burn in.

the only thing the senns offer over the ones i have is massive isolation.. and i might keep them just for that.

$200CAD for a set of cans just to block out sound is a lot.

Apr 22, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnSmith
In short, i am underwhelmed by these cans which cost 4 times as much as the ones i already had. I'm convinced that my NOVA 403s are much better, they are more comfortable and light than anything i have ever tried, and they sound better than anything i have ever heard, including my friends sony MDR500s and 700s.

Well, JohnSmith, you said the NOVA 403s are "better than the Sony MDR-V500s and MDR-V700s". But barring the NOVAs for a moment, if given a choice between the Sony MDR-V500s, Sony MDR-V700s and Sennheiser HD280 Pros, which of those three do you think are better?

Apr 22, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #24 of 65
Sorry; I was referring to nales' comment
biggrin.gif

Since these are [currently] my only good cans, I'm probably quite biased in my opinion.
Another person on Headwize said the treble was way too harsh. He said in Counter-Strike the Kalashikov's firing sounds like it's going to tear his head apart. Maybe it's just me, maybe I got lucky with my cans, or some other phenomon, but I love these cans. The only beef I have with them is not quite enough bass, even with a D-141. Once I get a CMoy up and running, however, I shall try an OPA627, which should hopefully fix that...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 22, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #25 of 65
I still like my HD280, even compared to HD580
Bass is strong and tight, midrange and hi are very detailed.
However, I do feel there might be too much very low frequency. And seems there is 'echo' in upper mid, someone call it 'harsh', yes i agree.

I enjoy it very much, 580 and 280 are very different sounding, both of them are good.

Apr 22, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Well, JohnSmith, you said the NOVA 403s are "better than the Sony MDR-V500s and MDR-V700s". But barring the NOVAs for a moment, if given a choice between the Sony MDR-V500s, Sony MDR-V700s and Sennheiser HD280 Pros, which of those three do you think are better?

the HD280pros without a doubt. they are much more accurate, and well built. the sound on the V### is boomy, and the bass exagerated. not to mention that the V700 swivel pieces are well known for falling to pieces quickly. and the 280 is cheaper.

I would not consider buying either of these phones. I have heard good things about the V6/7506 though, i am considering those, and they are even cheaper than the 280.

I am not satisfied with the 280s because of their apparent lack of bass, and also because i believe the impedance is too high on them to be driven properly by my DJ mixer, which puts out 150 mW into the headphones. perhaps they would sound better with a dedicated headphone amp?

but, then again, i don't want the expense or hassle of a dedicated headphone amp, and besides my other headphones already sound fine, in fact BETTER than the sennheisers. the only reason i got them was for a big increase in isolation (which i got) and a big increase in sound quality (which i didn't).

Apr 22, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #27 of 65
The impedance on the HD280's is 64 ohm so they shouldn't be that hard to drive. An amp will usually help although I didn't have much luck pairing mine with a Cmoy, a Meta42 may be a better option. They will never be bass monsters though. I feel they are just a tad shy of being flat but extend quite well. I think if it's bass your after then the V6/7506 or DT770's are probably your answer.

Apr 22, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #28 of 65
JohnSmith,

You are the *perfect* candidate for some V6s.

If you have a guitar center local to you, you can buy them from there, and if not satisfied, you can return for full money back.

Apr 23, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #29 of 65
yep, i think that is what i am going for.

but, i think i am also going to keep these HD280s, just for their awesome isolation, i can use them at clubs and raves to mix, and leave my other ones at home.

and either it's just that they are growing on me, or burning in, but they are sounding better and better everyday now.

I just listened to

Evanscene - Bring me to Life

and was surprised to hear bass frequencies i had no idea about before!

Apr 23, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #30 of 65
It is possible that your hd280's just need even more burn in than they already have. When i first got mine and burned them in for about three days i was still not quite satisfied, but after two weeks of occasional listening amounting to maybe three more days of continous playback I think it has improved markedly. I too was a little dissapointed with the low end of these 'phones, but i think they do improve after a lot of burn in and entailing psycho-acclimation.

If you do decide to try out the v6's, which can be found for quite a bit cheaper than the hd280's do look into doing the beyer pad mod. It uses larger pads that actually make the v6 circumaural, thus blocking out more noise than a stock v6.

Good luck whatever choice you make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back