Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Apr 16, 2003 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

JohnSmith

New Head-Fier
I just got a new pair of sennheiser HD280s, highly reccomended by many people. here's a picture:

P0039995B.jpg

first impression, they are HUGE! way bigger than i thought they would be anyway. they are solid, well built, nice and durable feeling. Everything on them is replaceable it seems, the ear cups, the drivers, the cord, the headband.

They are a little on the heavy side, and not exceptionally comfortable though. especially when taking one cup of to monitor, they tended to slide off the back of my head. and wearing them around your neck requires some messing around adjusting the position of the cups.

One good thing about them is they block out a TON of sound. -32db, which makes you feel like you are in an isolation chamber, you can't hear people talking or keys tapping or anything else, even with no music on.

so, what you wanna here is how good they sound. the answer is, pretty good. Not as exceptional as i was expecting. In fact, on first listen, not quite as good as my old headphones, Optimus NOVA 403 (Radio Shack's house brand), which i got for $50. They go plenty loud, with no distortion to speak of at any reasonable level that you would listen at. in other words before the volume I can make them distort, my ears are already hurting from the volume. The sound is clear, but the midrange seems exaggerated and harsh, the bass and treble a bit backed off. the bass is good, but doesn't seem TIGHT, it seems a little mushy. the treble seems a little tinny as well.

I'm testing them with 192kbps MP3s, played through a SB128 card, into a set of yamaha computer speakers with a headphone out. Possibly this is insufficient to drive them? I will let you know once i try it with my DJ mixer at home tonight.

*edit* Tried it with my DJ mixer and some records on my decks, they sounded no better, in fact they sounded worse. all EQs and the main level were at 12oclock, gains just high enough to peak over 0db. The HD280s sounded overly harsh in the midrange, and washed out in bass and treble. In particular the mid bass sounded slow to respond, not nearly as quick as my other headphones or even my speakers. I was able to do a direct A/B comparison between the too, since my mixer (vestax PCV275) has two headphone outputs).

I also tried it with a Sony Home Theater Reciever (STR-DE635), in regular 2 channel stereo mode of course, using a yamaha CD player (CDC-902) as a source again the senns sounded empty and washed out compared to my others.

I tried them out on my other stereo a kenwood KRX-89, and an almost identical yamaha CD player (CDC-901). Similar results again. One thing i did notice that is interesting is that if i squished the headphones down on my ears, they sounded quite a bit better, because of the decrease in volume of air they had to move i guess. my other cans drivers are much closer to my ears

and finally, my last test was my MD player (Sony MZN505), and the senns did PATHETIC here, they sounded horrible, but i suspect this was just because my MD did not have the power to drive them. I've heard that they are not very efficient, but i don't know how i can measure that.

In short, i am underwhelmed by these cans which cost 4 times as much as the ones i already had. I'm convinced that my NOVA 403s are much better, they are more comfortable and light than anything i have ever tried, and they sound better than anything i have ever heard, including my friends sony MDR500s and 700s.

About the only good thing i can say about the sennheiser HD280s is that they block out a lot of sound and are solidly constructed, but then again, so does these!
bigrange.jpg

anyway, i am not impressed, i think i am sending them back. Then again, maybe they just need to be burned in? something i had never even considered before visiting this forum.

Apr 16, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 65
Those headphones require 50 hours of burn-in before they start to sound good, and 100 before you should make any decisions. I highly recommend that you plug them into a clean source and let them break in for a few days before you send them back.

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 65
Good to know. I have them burning in right now, in my 5 disc changer with a variety of music, some drum and bass, some trance, some eclectic world music, some classical, and a CD of thunder and rain falling. I have the volume set to just a little over what i would normally listen at, this is the proper procedure, correct?

Should i even bother checking after 24 hours, or should i leave it for 2 days before checking again?

And another question (i know i am showing my ignorance here) is it bad to have the drivers pressed against each other when doing the burn-in? or maybe it's even better?

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 65
Quote:

I have the volume set to just a little over what i would normally listen at, this is the proper procedure, correct?

Yup, that's just fine. Make sure you don't go too loud, but a little higher than normal is perfect. I recommend playing the music that you like, since that's what you want it to sound best with. Others recommend specific CDs and other methods. Bass is always a good thing to have plenty of during burnin IMO.

Quote:

Should i even bother checking after 24 hours, or should i leave it for 2 days before checking again?

That's up to you. IIRC, some people actually reported them becoming worse around 24 hours, so I wouldn't start making judgments until 48 at least. I checked mine the whole time though.

Quote:

is it bad to have the drivers pressed against each other when doing the burn-in? or maybe it's even better?

I assume you mean the cups together. I don't know how you would get the actual drivers next to each other.
tongue.gif
It doesn't matter for most headphones; IIRC Stax specifically say not to burn their cans in without having a head in between the drivers. For everything else though, I think it is fine. I had mine pressed together the entire time while they were burning in with no problems.

Finally, they will get significantly better with burnin, but there are no guarantees that you will like them. Some like them a lot; some not so much. Trust your ears (after burnin).
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 65
Yeah, I was not too impressed right when I got mine, but I like them a lot now that they have been burned in. But who knows if you will like the burned in ones. Let us know your decision when you do make one.

Apr 21, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 65
well, they've been burned in for more than 100 hours now. and.. they still sound crappy. I requested an RMA for them.

*edit* (guess i should say why)
the treble and upper midrange have improved a lot, doesn't sound as harsh now. but the lower midrange and bass still sounds very slow and not well defined, no matter what source i listen to them on.
*edit*

can anybody else suggest good DJ cans with a lot of isolation? i have heard good things about the Sony MDR 7506/V6

Apr 21, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 65
Sorry to hear that they didn't work out.
frown.gif

The V6 is a definite option. Check in the review archive for Kelly's comparison, which includes both headphones.

The V6 has highs that some find grating, but the bass should make you happy in comparison to the HD280.

The V6 doesn't have as much isolation, as the cups sit on the ear unless you have extremely small ears.

If you can extend your budget, the Ultrasone HFi-650 might be exactly what you are looking for, though I can't remember what kind of isolation it provides.

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 65
I too had the HD 280Pros and I was VERY disappointed with them.

Admittedly, I was driving them off a portable without an amp, however the lack of bass and shrill highs were just not my taste musically. I wouldn't recommend these headphones to anybody. I ended up RMAing them.

I also had the ETYMOTICS ER-4P too and although I could appreciate the level of detail they had, they just weren't the sound I was looking for either in the bass department. I also didn't care for the "in the ear canal" style so that weighed in on my decision to send them back.

I guess part of the problem with these cans is that I'm used to my Grado SR-80s I have at home which I absolutely love and I'm looking for something in that ballpark in a closed can to listen to at work.

I have another headphone on order (along with an amp this time) to give a try so I'll post once I've had a chance to form an opinion those.

Glenn

Apr 21, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Sorry to hear that they didn't work out.
frown.gif

The V6 is a definite option. Check in the review archive for Kelly's comparison, which includes both headphones.

The V6 has highs that some find grating, but the bass should make you happy in comparison to the HD280.

I will look into these, and a bonus, they are cheaper!

Quote:

The V6 doesn't have as much isolation, as the cups sit on the ear unless you have extremely small ears.

actually, i have extremely LARGE ears, so this might be a problem. They need to be able to block out enough sound that i can have a 200 watt monitor right beside my head and still be able to hear well defined mid bass and treble in my headphones. and BTW, i am well aware that the MDR V### DJ series is absolute shiite.

Quote:

If you can extend your budget, the Ultrasone HFi-650 might be exactly what you are looking for, though I can't remember what kind of isolation it provides.

hmm.. extend it how much? I don't think i am willing to spend any more than $500, and they'd have to be damn good for that price.

Apr 21, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 65
I tested these out in store when shopping around.
I just wanna say despite all the bad publicity, these headphones sounded ok outta the box (you could definitely tell they needed breakin in). The best thing about the phones is definitely the amazing isolation.

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by gratner
I too had the HD 280Pros and I was VERY disappointed with them.

Admittedly, I was driving them off a portable without an amp, however the lack of bass and shrill highs were just not my taste musically. I wouldn't recommend these headphones to anybody. I ended up RMAing them.
Glenn

I don't think these phones will EVER sound good on a portable, plugged into my sony MD player, it sounds like crap. there is simply not enough power in a single A battery to drive them.

they have warmed up quite a bit after breakin, but, they are still not WOWing me enough for the $159CAD i spent on them.

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by shafu
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=21917

That's the link that Radrd was referring to. Also, the review lists the apprx street price for the different headphones. If you are interested in the Ultrsones, go to www.meier-audio.com (he's one of the sponsors of this site).

thanks for looking it up for me! I had already done so, and printed to read on my lunch hour, but it's good to know people are around to help out.

Apr 21, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 65
well I guess you can always open them up and put in some nice cotton batting and see if the bass firms up. nah, don't even try it. send them back and get something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back