Sennheiser HD280 pro: first impressions
Jan 5, 2002 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

meithkiller

500+ Head-Fier
hd280pro.gif

I just got my HD280's last week. I got them from Headroom for $99, and found a $10 rebate from Sennheiser, so for $89 I thought I'd give them a try. I'm always on the lookout for a good set of sealed cans that block a lot of outside noise, yet sound as good as my HD580's (to quote U2, "I still haven't found what I'm loooking for").

I haven't had a lot of listening time with them yet, but I'll throw out some of my initial impressions. The build quality is good, typical Sennheiser, yet there are a few nits I have to pick. They decided to not include a detachable cable like all of my other Senn cans, so not all parts are easily user replaceable. Construction is all plastic, and good quality plastic at that, but I have a feeling these things won't last as long as my Sony V6's, just don't seem quite as durable. They don't fold down as compactly as the V6, and don't come with a carrying bag like the Sony's do. The earcups have a similar range of motion compared to the V6's and they have similar pleather earpads. The earcups are slightly larger and plusher than the Sony's, yet they seal much better. They have at least twice the isolation of my other "good" sealed cans, the V6's and Beyer 831's, but aren't as comfortable as the Beyers. The main reason for the additional isolation seems to come from the slightly larger earpads and the increased clamping force over the Sony's. They clamp tightly, but aren't painful at all. I bought some Koss sealed cans (QZ something I think) last year that isolated as well, but clamped down so hard that I got a headache after a 1/2 hour). I would prefer softer velour earpads, but those on the 280 don't annoy me as much as the Sony (squeaking on my glasses).

I have to disagree with Jan Meier about the sound quality. I definitely don't find a lack of bass (very comparable to the V6) and don't hear any of the plastic/metallic colorations he referred to. I have only listened to them out of my Sony D-25S ( and a little with the Panasonic CT570) so far, and haven't tried them with an amp yet. The soundstage problems with typical closed cans are present, but I don't find it any worse a problem than the V6. In a quick comparison with the MDR-V6, HD280, and DT831, the Beyers definitely come out on top, not quite as much bass as the 280, but a sense of openness that I haven't heard from any other closed can, but of course the Beyers cost a good deal more too. Listening to an old OMD CD, I was able to cleanly hear some low bass notes with the HD280 that were just barely audible with the 831's.

Looks like the HD280's will get the nod for use when I need a lot of isolation and don't feel like messing with the Etys, and for portable use when they won't be subjected to a lot of potential hard use. They can be driven well by portables like the D-25S or CT570, but would most likely benefit from an amp too.

I'll try to post some more views on the MDR-V6 vs DT 831 vs HD280 after I have a chance to listen with a wider variety of music and a little better source equipment and amp. I might even throw my Etys and Beyer 231's into the mix to make it a little more interesting.

-Keith

Jan 6, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Great review, meithkiller!
biggrin.gif

Seems as though Jan Meier had tested an EARLY production sample of the HD 280 PRO headphones; Sennheiser had delayed those headphones' introduction to the North American market until the company had re-tweaked the response of the drivers used in those headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 10
Very interesting! meithkiller, does the sound have any sort of character? As in, analytical like V6s, warm, balanced, etc...?

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 10
On Saturday, I have just listened to a brand new pair of HD 280 Professionals which came right out of the box at a dealer. They have been quite impressive even without any break-in. They seem to be competitive with the Beyer DT 250-80. I'd say they have a warmer tonal balance than the HD580/600s or the AKG K 501. Their treble is very clear without any screechniness - piano transients are great - and they seem to have very smooth response throughout the range of the human voice, throughout the mids. There isn't much of a soundstage, but the DT 250-80 which has similarly small enclosures with limited interaction with the outer ears hasn't too large a soundstage either. The bass response of this brand-new pair hasn't been quite as extended and slamming as that of phones like the professional Beyers, but overall, they have a quite neutral and non-spectacular and non-hifi tonal balance that might be very suitable for professional applications. And these things are every bit as sturdy as the professional Beyers.

These are just my initial impressions, but I can only confirm meithkiller's favourable review so far. Some more listening and they might turn out to be my favourite Sennheisers.

Jan 9, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 10
I found the rebate on the Sennheiser USA site, but unfortunately it expired already. You had to purchase the cans by 12/31/01 and send the rebate in by 01/31/02.

-Keith

Jan 9, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 10
just busted my v6's, so i need a new set of isolating cans for use with my portable (gave myself a $100 limit, so the ety's are out). i'd very much be interested in a v6 vs hd280 review as soon as you can get around to it.

Feb 3, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Alright, I'm posting this in every HD280 thread that I can find....

I have a question concerning how they fold, and DJ-type uses:

Do the earcups have to rotate for one eared monitoring, like the Sennheiser HD25's, the Technics RPDJ1200's, the Sony MDR-V700DJ's, the IXOS DJ1001's all do?What I mean is, are you able to put the headphones around your neck, and rotate the earcups so that they are facing UP from your shoulder, so you can just place your ear down on the headphone as the need arises (so you can have your hands free)? What about firmness and tightness on the head for one eared monitoring by simply placing one earcup on the side of your head instead of your ears? Thanks!

Feb 20, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 10
If anyone still monitors this thread, I have recently found two flavors: HD280 Pro (64 ohm) and HD280-13 (300 ohm) here. What impedance are yours HD280 and do they need to be powered from headamp?
There is also variant HMD280 Pro with microphone which might suit my needs for solid quality headset.

Feb 22, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Wow, these sound like good phones! I had written them off altogether after Jan Meier's review but Meith's words of praise have rehabilitated them a lot. I was thinking of getting Beyer 250-80s next, so a detailed comparison of these vs the Beyers and the V6s (which I have) would be just the trick! Keep up the fine work, MK!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back