Sennheiser HD25 vs. AKG K81DJ
Dec 10, 2006 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Moody

Head-Fier
I'm looking for some light-weight closed headphones with good SQ. I will use them mostly with my laptop, unamped.

After some resource I will make my choice between the HD25 and the K81DJ.

I can use some expert advice at the following points:

1. Which one sounds better? (I like a "full and open sound")
2. Which one is more effective in terms of volume? (I use them with my laptop)
3. Which one has better durability?
4. Which one is more comfortable? (quite subjective, but I can use some opinions)

Price is not important. I'm going to use this pair of headphones for many years.

Thanks a lot.

Martin from The Netherlands

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Are you referring to the HD25-SPs or the HD25/HD25-1s?

If the former, I have no experience with either.

If the latter, I haven't heard the K81s personally, but judging by the phones they're compared to around here, I'd put the HD25-1s way ahead. The HD25-1s are my favorite portable phone- the SQ is outstanding, lot of bass without being boomy, decent soundstage.

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Search for the "official K81DJ thread" and you'll find all kinds of good reading, even comparisons you seek. Having owned the 81 and all 3 flavours of hd25, I'll give you my opinion

1. Which one sounds better? HD25-1 IMO there is no question, they are by far the better can, controlled bass, much better detail. Replace that steel cable and the 81 has no hope.

2. Which one is more effective in terms of volume? I'm not sure, but I had no issues driving either from portable players.

3. Which one has better durability? Both are solid, but the HD25-1 is bulletproof. It was built for the studio, and built to last. It has a steel cable for a reason.

4. Which one is more comfortable? again, HD25-1, especially with velour pads. My main issue after stretching out the 81 headband was that there was no padding on the plastic. When I wore the 81 for long periods of time the top of my head would hurt from the weight of the plastic, and the pads would become uncomfortable after an hour or so. Not so with the HD25-1, they were great for hours on end. That split headband is surprisingly comfy.

If money is no object, I honestly can't see any reason not to get the HD25-1. The 81DJ are a great can for the $, but I honestly think they get beaten in ever category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back