Sennheiser HD25 repair fixing slipping sliders
May 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MDR30

500+ Head-Fier
Got myself a pair of nice but worn HD25, with loose spring on the adjustable sliders. Extremely irritating with the cups sliding down to their lowest point at every minute movement of the head, and as I didn't find the idea of electric tape on the sliders appealing, decided to try another solution.

Here goes, made at your own risk, of course.

Original, severly hanging.

I was surprised that this warhorse, a professional tool, got worn this way. It's designed to do duty in studios, in the field, at hockey games, at rugby matches, in Alaska, in South Africa...

My pair looked like it had been subjected to heavy use for many years, but the driver was dated April 2007 (or October 2007?) so it's relatively new.

Problem is the plastic spring has lost it's elasticity, or the sliders have worn down (less likely), or both. Here's the contact area.

So it needs to be tighthened, and the tools are an ordinary clamp, a screw and a hair dryer.

First, fix the screw to the clamp with some double sided tape, makes the whole affair a lot easier.

Then fix the clamp to the cup, just to keep it in place, no pressure.

Turn the hair dryer on, and aim at the the spring for 3-4 minutes.

Carefully tighten the clamp to push the spring down a few fractures of a millimeter, then apply some hot air again for 2-3 minutes.

''

Let it cool properly with the clamp still in place. I left it overnight, but an hour or so should be enough.

"Before" picture.

"After" picture.

Put the sliders in the cups end enjoy those sharp clicks when you adjust the headphone.

Material fatigue and plastic memory may affect long run function, but for me it still works fine.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi!

I used easier method, just used strip of metallic sticker (pentium III) under the slider, on the back of the cup.
Holds well, and lasted more than 3 years now...

Moonwalker

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Nice looking tutorial. Rep up! Let me get this straight: apply some heat, press down a bit on spring, apply little more heat and leave to sit for about an hour should do it?

That's right. But as you see Moonwalker has an easier solution, including tape that apparently sticks (its very purpose) in the long run. Heat and reformation for purists.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm warming to these cans after a week on the road. Their balance between isolation and comfort is spot on. I actually prefer them to the DT1350, or the PX200II, to name two good competitors for this kind of work in my collection.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 12
I followed this guide for a new pair of Amperiors that had a loose right earcup. Thanks so much!

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks very much for the tip, I used a slightly different method though wouldn't of known without your tutorial.

All fixed now. :)

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 12
I just bought an open box set of HD25-Aluminum from Amazon that I couldn't pass up on due to the price.  They did have an extremely loose cup on the left.  I applied this fix to the left cup and to the right as well.  Now I have a nice tight slide on both sides.  Thanks for the tutorial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back