Sennheiser HD25 or Audio Technica ATH ES7
Apr 2, 2007 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Dan1984

New Head-Fier
Okay so I just made a thread asking if I should get the ATH ES7's or the K81DJs and the ES7s won.

Now I was just about to order them and I noticed I could get the HD25 for £20 more.

So opinions please. I need them to be portable [will be wearing to and from work] and will also be using them on the tube.
For my musical tastes check out my lastfm http://www.last.fm/user/Faded1984

Thanks for any help.

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 27
You can't really go wrong with either.

The ES7 will have more prominent, smooth mids and a more expansive soundstage with a ton of bass and smooth, soft highs. It's aggressive enough and will be pretty warm-sounding, with more "fun" sound a coloration than the HD25-1.

The HD25-1 will offer more isolation with more throw-around peace-of-mind (unless you apply a BestSkinsEver or similar product to the cups of the ES7), somewhat recessed mids, and greater treble energy. Bass response will be similar. It might seem a little dark and sibilant. It's more analytical than the ES7.

Honestly, you'd be happy with either product.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 27
As with the above poster--you'll probably be happy either way--but for the ES7 you've got to be willing to order them from an retailer specializing in overseas merchandise (unless you happen upon a pair used in which case you can get a great deal on them) and wipe down the mirror finish to keep the ES7s looking good.

In both cases I didn't want to deal with the hassle and went with HD25-1s. And they're quite a good if overpriced portable.

As I do love AT so I could definitely understand going through the extra footwork for the ES7s. But FWIW the HD25-1s seem to appear for sale in the used forums even less often than ES7s.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES7 will have more prominent, smooth mids and a more expansive soundstage with a ton of bass and smooth, soft highs. It's aggressive enough and will be pretty warm-sounding, with more "fun" sound a coloration than the HD25-1.

The HD25-1 will offer more isolation with more throw-around peace-of-mind (unless you apply a BestSkinsEver or similar product to the cups of the ES7), somewhat recessed mids, and greater treble energy. Bass response will be similar. It might seem a little dark and sibilant. It's more analytical than the ES7.

It's up to you.. neither is definitively superior over the other.

Those prices aren't too bad.

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I can get both from a UK retailer,

ATH ES7 - £100

HD25-1 - £115

Theyre £98 here and with shipping to the UK they come in at £105. Its a difference of a tenner(or more if p&p isnt included in that price), but that tenner might help with recabling. Thats the way im looking at it anyways
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 27
The HD25-1 is much darker sounding with stronger bass. Being brighter, the ES7 sounds more lively, but sounds very artificial to me. The HD25 sounds a great deal more natural across the spectrum, high to low. The ES7 has a more prominent midrange, but again, for some reason, it just doesn't sound right. The treble is splashy at times, but not all that bad. Soundstage on the ES7 is a bit better, but neither is expansive.

That may sound like I'm knocking the ES7, but I quite like it, actually. It's fun, very easy to drive, and comfortable. That said, I find myself grabbing the HD25-1 the vast majority of the time. With my iMod and MiniBox-D combo, the HD25-1 (on low gain setting) sounds better than the ES7.

In effect, if you prefer a more lively and bright presentation, the ES7 is the way to go. If you want a bit darker and more natural sounding, the HD25-1 is the better bet.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In his earlier thread, Price was no object.

Oh, I just figured that price was a factor given that he was tempted by the HD25s only because they were slightly more.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fractal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I just figured that price was a factor given that he was tempted by the HD25s only because they were slightly more.

Also, Senn's MSRP is usually $100 more than sellers will sell for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back