Sennheiser HD25 Adidas: Do They Need Burn-In/an Amplifier
Mar 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

prayer86

Head-Fier
I just purchased an Adidas version of the Sennheiser HD25. I've listened to them for a few hours now and find the bass to be overpowering; not really hearing what others are talking about in terms of upfront treble. My question is, does the treble on the HD25 open up more after a certain amount of burn-in? Also, will these headphones benefit much from a portable amp? I think they sound a little muddy because of all the bass.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 13
They have a mid bass hump, no question, but the bass on these is pretty tight and punchy not muddy.  What are you using as a source?  It may be possible the source you're using is contributing to the bass overpowering everything else.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 13
I am using my ipod at the moment, as I specifically bought this one for portable use. I just find that at volumes I usually listen music with (maybe slightly louder than), the bass seems to be a lot more forward. Hence the reason why I asked if a portable amp would help. I currently have an E9 but I won't be able to get to it until the end of the week.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 13
Possibly just the music files/music type you are using or any eq you may be applying.  They can benefit from an amp, especially if using an onboard solution that kinda sucks, but they can get plenty loud from just about anything.  They really are super efficient headphones that don't require much power at all to get to ear shattering levels.  The iPods have better sound than your average onboard motherboard chip.  If volume isn't a problem, which doesn't seem to be the case, I'd start looking at the files I'm playing first.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 13
No equalizer, so it's possibly the files. I'm using the 256kbps AAC as most of my files are from the music store. I did try it with some CDs through my desktop, but that doesn't seem like a fair comparison as my desktop audio setup isn't ideal. I guess I will just have to wait to try it with the E9 to see if it makes it any different.

I do wonder if I am just used to the brightness/not as upfront bass of the AKG K550 and the Sennheiser HD558. Those are my go-to headphones at home. I was a basshead once upon a time, but now I can't seem to get back into that kind of sound.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #6 of 13
It's very possible.  The mid bass hump can seem to be overwhelming at times.  Your ears adjusting to the HD 25'1's might be all you need.  While not a basshead either, I found the 558's a little boring for my taste.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 13
I gave them a test run on the bus ride to campus today. The outside noise blocks a little bit of the bass, so I actually like it for use on the bus. However, in a quiet environment I can't help but feel that that level of bass will end up blowing my ears out.
frown.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 13
I know with the Adidas you get white velour pads, which seems silly imo, but they could be an option to reduce the bass.  Less of a tight seal but still pretty good isolation, and reduces the bass a bit.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I know with the Adidas you get white velour pads, which seems silly imo, but they could be an option to reduce the bass.  Less of a tight seal but still pretty good isolation, and reduces the bass a bit.

I shall try that when I get home. Will let you know what happens.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 13
Yep, changing the pads to the replacement set made the difference. Much more the sound I was expecting. Thank you for your advice!

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 13
Regarding an amp. It probably wouldn't hurt to run your HD25's with a Fiio E6 imo.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Regarding an amp. It probably wouldn't hurt to run your HD25's with a Fiio E6 imo.

I'm going to give it a run through my E9; if there is a noticeable difference then I may contemplate picking up an E6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back