Sennheiser HD25-1 II weaknesses
Nov 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 32
^ That's the thing: I don't like things in my ears much either. And isolation is high on the priority list. I might pick up some ER-6is for when I really need to block noise out, but I'm big on supra-aural closed portables. The ESW9 has everything I want - sonically and aesthetically - but the isolation factor.
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should mention that K271s do have very lovely midrange with accurate, tight bass - they do need good amping to clear up a slight veil though.

You heard... Bass..?
smily_headphones1.gif

You and I seem to be quite the opposite listeners. I am very sensitive to highs and sibilance and you don't seem to stand bass that much
L3000.gif
.. There seems to be something that combines us though; the AD2000!

I've yet to find a portable player that can drive k271's at all. An amp is certainly required. Even with an amp, least involving cans ever :/ Well, at least to my ears, toes, nose, eyes, teeth and testicles..

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 32
um I prefer very small amounts of tight bass to large amount of uncontrolled bass. When headphones have that "bleeding into the midrange" effect, it ruins the whole presentation.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the HD25-1 SQ compare to that of HD280Pro SQ?

Night and day... esp with copper recable + velour pads + amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #22 of 32
I have the HD25-1s, with velour pads, and the copper recable. I run them with a PINT amp and I gotta say the synergy and final output is amazing for about $250.

As for the HD25s, Don't worry about the clamping, this can be rectified by stretching them out a little. They are extremely durable, offer great sound, and the best non-IEM isolation available (These are better on planes than most noise cancelling phones)

I'd say get them. you won't regret it, they don't absolutely need an amp, and are suitable for on the go, or at your computer. And they offer a reasonable amount of upgradeability. So if you want better sound over time, you can add an amp, and an upgraded cable or new pads. And they'll hold their value, because there's nothing you can do to hurt them.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #23 of 32
I use my HD25-1 (original, not II) both unamped and with my PA2V2. I don't think they really need an amp, as they are very efficient. They sound fine with my iAudio 7, but I use that with my IEMs and just use the HD25-1 plugged into the X5L and PA2V2 while sitting at the computer. I also switched to velour pads and copper cable. If I were you, I would try them without an amp first. You can adjust the tightness by how much you spread the split headband apart. Farther apart is tighter, so I keep mine nearly touching.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #24 of 32
I was listening to the HD25-1 with the iAudio 7 while I was writing the above post and they sounded fine. I then decided to listen to the same thing through the X5L and PA2V2. Yeah, there is an improvement. Much fuller sound. I wonder how much an E5 would help. Of course, the fact that I am outputting the signal from the X5L cradle into the PA2V2 might make some of the difference. I also have all Jet Effects turned off on the X5L, but not on the iAudio 7.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #25 of 32
where can i get this widely talked about copper recable done? i heard about putting an hd650 cord on there, same thing? plug and play would be the only thing i could do on my end personally.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by needmoretoys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening to the HD25-1 with the iAudio 7 while I was writing the above post and they sounded fine. I then decided to listen to the same thing through the X5L and PA2V2. Yeah, there is an improvement. Much fuller sound. I wonder how much an E5 would help. Of course, the fact that I am outputting the signal from the X5L cradle into the PA2V2 might make some of the difference. I also have all Jet Effects turned off on the X5L, but not on the iAudio 7.

I have a similar setup to you, been using cx-300 for way too long , got the HD-25-I-II , tried them with my iaudio 7 playing few FLAC's witheout an amp, frankly was a little concerned and trying to justify their cost to myself, then tried with the amp and immediately could tell the difference,they sound just too pleasing to the ear, can't wait to get my Grado 325is now then would like to compare the two.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamescodway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Night and day... esp with copper recable + velour pads + amp
smily_headphones1.gif

What about with stock configuration, unamped (HD 280 vs HD 25)? Seems like you kinda answered a different question
smily_headphones1.gif

Jonathan, I'm in your camp, trying to find the best portable set of supra aurals w/isolation. I'm keeping all these suggestions in mind in the hope that the holiday sales grace them!

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about with stock configuration, unamped (HD 280 vs HD 25)? Seems like you kinda answered a different question
smily_headphones1.gif

Jonathan, I'm in your camp, trying to find the best portable set of supra aurals w/isolation. I'm keeping all these suggestions in mind in the hope that the holiday sales grace them!

I believe Jonathan has moved on to greener pastures by now, meaning ESW10jpn
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #30 of 32
I have to bump this, because after about 50 hours of burn-in I'm quite dissatisfied with the HD 25.

I have to say there isn't any dramatical improvement over ATH-SJ5, I expected larger amount of bass and also that certain songs would now sound more engaging. Sure, there is more detail, but the right-left separation is quite annoying.

For example Bear McCreary - All Along The Watchtower (from the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack). Both HD 25 and SJ5 sound just flat, distanced and "lifeless", while once I had to use the earbuds you get with the Sansa Fuze, and though it's horrible quality, it has decent amount of bass and the song was more enjoyable.

Hurts after an hour, very little isolation improvement.

That's just a quick summary of what I feel now, but if I put all of this aside, the first thing that struck me was insane microphonics of the cable and also the headphone itself, which is absolutely against the idea of portability.
Couldn't it be that it's a problem of the "Special Edition"? That the cable is cheaper?
I don't want to be rude, but I'm quite pissed, to say the truth. I didn't pay 240 USD (taxes, shipping, so the price is insane here), so that I'd have to pay 45 USD for HD 650 cable, which doesn't even have "L" jack, but a straight one (the current HD 25 jack is "L" shaped and I like it that way, a straight jack isn't good for portable phones).

So, right now, I still pray that the burn-in exists and that they will sound better, but I don't expect the cable to just magically get better.

I'm sorry for the rant, I don't want to flame, I'd like to enjoy them, but it feels more like a rip off and I don't expect there is any inexpensive way how to deal with the cable.

PS: Every headphone is more expensive here, so looking for something in 250 USD range won't help, since it would be for 350 USD here....
For example the SJ5 costs 80 USD here, but I still think they're worth it, because the only thing it needs is a Neutrik "L" shaped jack for maybe 8 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back