Sennheiser HD25-1-II vs. Bose On-Ear Headphones
Jul 22, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #31 of 35
if you're really considering BOSE, try the AE... though OE is bassier but AE has cleaner bass (mid-bass) representation and doesnt distract the whole spectrum like what OE did...

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #32 of 35
After a billion years, my senn HD25's finally came in.
My first order with a company online went out of stock. The second company i ordered with had problems with google checkout. When i was finally able to reorder it, Hurricane Dolly hit around the time that the delivery was supposed to be made.

Nevertheless, I finally have them. I have to say i understand what people meant by the bass being slightly damped and more well defined than the Bose OE, but I somehow feel like the music i'm playing can be a lot more clearer.

I'm definitely going to have to consider the cable upgrade. And wonder if anyone can tell me what the general rule is for toning down music files? I remember reading somewhere on this forum that it's generally best to tone volume down by 40% or something like that. Can someone tell me this in more detail and how exactly i'd go about doing this?

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #33 of 35
I'm not sure I'd be calling the Bose OE's bass as "punchy."

Have not heard the HD 25 yet but I love the Bose. It has fat, warm, enveloping bass. It's so soft and sticky to touch, I wouldn't call it punchy at all.

** I just realized I did one heck of a thread necro without realizing it

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #34 of 35
It's all about the music. If someone left me an on-ear Bose in their will, I'd enjoy them for what they are. But if I had actual money to spend, I wouldn't give it to Bose. If I were working a jackhammer and needed more isolation, maybe. Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of their architecture.

The Bose on-ears have a very pronounced bass but it's thick and muddy. That's because, for purposes of sound isolation, Bose uses bean-bag style cushion with narrow sound outlets. As your ear rests on the cushion, the leatherette material blocks out the world, but that same material is also so sonically opaque that it darkens and muddies the presentation.

You can achieve a similar effect with a pair of Grados by wrapping the cushions in tape. Grado lovers like to wrap a single strip of electrical tape around the outside of their bowls, which traps more of the bass and gives it a more solid kick. But if you take this mod a few steps further and wrap the whole cushion (inside and out) with the same black tape, you'll arrive much closer to what Bose has made: a headphone with thicker bass but winceable clarity.

Both the Bose and HD25s make the mistake of using leatherette cushions, though Bose is much more constrictive about the sound outlet. A better choice is to get rid of that leatherette outside and pull out the cushion within it. Then, get a material with some rigidity - but one that still breathes. It'll help your bass without killing the HF.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #35 of 35
Look, on these forums your not going to get any useful information on bose headphones. Around here people bash bose because it's the "cool" thing to do. It seems like people bash bose to make themselves feel like a better audiophile.

The truth is, bose doesn't sound bad at all, there is just better sounding options out there for the same money. With that said, alot of those better sounding headphones require an amp (some a really good desktop amp) which can take away portability, which is really important to some people. Thats what bose headphones do the best: offer decent sounding comfortable portable headphones.

I really do wish people would stop stating opinions about headphones after only listening to a store display (which have a very horrible limited selection of demo songs) or never even hearing the headphones at all (this happends with other headphones too).
With that said, I got rid of my bose headphones because I felt they didn't have much bass at all. though this is coming from someone who thinks the DT770's are bass light.

One thing you have to consider is genre; when people tell you that a headphone has plenty of bass then it probably does if they are listening to rock, but if they are listening to techno, trance, rap, or other bass heavy genres than there really might not be enough bass.

Sorry for the rant but i'm tired of the bose hate just because it's bose. These boards did the same thing with monster products untill they found out about the turbines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back