Sennheiser HD25-1-II vs. Bose On-Ear Headphones
Jul 8, 2008 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

beg2differ

New Head-Fier
Both of these cans are going at $199 and $179 respectively. (so pretty much in the same price range)

I've been looking around and the biggest complaint I've heard from either was that for the HD25, some people complain that the bass is weak for the price. (however, i have also heard the contrary, so I'm a lil bit confused)

The Bose OE on the other hand(not to be confused with the cheaper triport AE version that some people make) is said to be a little bit too "punchy" on the bass.

Overall, I do consider the HD25's to be "sonically better," but if the bass is a little bit too weak as some people have said, the Bose OE seems a bit more appealing to me personally, being a basshead.

This question is really geared towards people who have tried both, but if anyone can give me a good opinion by all means please help me out. lol

Can anyone please clear the differences in bass between these two cans?

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 35
I really don't think the HD25-1-IIs are lacking any bass. Really, they do not have weak bass. I think the build quality of the senns is great as well, but I've never really used the OE so I can't offer an opinion on that. <bias> I am skeptical of $200 headphones from Bose though </bias>

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 35
I wish you luck in your search for good sound. Therefore I "beg2differ" with your inclusion of the Bose OE (sorry, I just had to do it!
biggrin.gif
). Basshead, for that price? Research the Ultrasone HFI-780, and let me know if it appears to be suitable.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 35
Can't comment too much on a direct comparison either as I've only had very brief experiences with the Bose OE. But I'd be pretty confident in saying the HD25-1 is superior in all but comfort compared to the OE.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding the bass, personally I found it a bit overpowering initially, not light. I really don't think you'd be disappointed with them.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 35
If you want bass, try the Denon D2000 from provantage for around $200?

There's plenty of bass to go around and will be better than both of the cans you mentioned(even though i haven't heard either one).

For the D2000

Comfort wise, I don't think the Denon can lose to anyone. Comfort level is just top notch.

Isolation wise, none whatsoever even though it's a closed can.

Need an amp to sound the best and pull out the midrange and the D2000 needs at least 200 hours of burn in to sound good.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 35
the HD25 are only 4.94 oz ...thats actually pretty light...even lighter than the HD 201 and about half the weight of the HD 650. you won't find a more secure or stable headphone due to the split headband. and holy crap can they go LOUD (not that you need 120 dB)...but it simply implies that at lower gain stages they have a consistent reproduction.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 35
I've only used the HD25-1, and I don't find it to lack bass. The sound is darker than my other cans, but that's not a bad thing, and as TheDeliveryMan said, they can get very loud without an amp.

Take care, though, if you wear glasses or have a large head. The fit is very tight and can border on painful unless you stretch them out with a stack of books or something.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish you luck in your search for good sound. Therefore I "beg2differ" with your inclusion of the Bose OE (sorry, I just had to do it!
biggrin.gif
). Basshead, for that price? Research the Ultrasone HFI-780, and let me know if it appears to be suitable.

LOL. Yes, I know the incredible bias that most people here at Head fi have of Bose, but I have to say the small demo I got to have with the Bose OE wasn't that bad at all.

The only reason why I'm not considering the Ultrasone HFI-780 is due to it's weight and that fact that I don't much prefer the S-logic driver.

I'm really looking for something along the lines and looks of the Bose OE and Senn HD25, which are both compact, light, and efficient for DAPs like an Ipod Nano.

But I appreciate your input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the bass, personally I found it a bit overpowering initially. I really don't think you'd be disappointed with them.

Which bass would you be referring to? The Bose OE or the HD25?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruteFM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only used the HD25-1, and I don't find it to lack bass. The sound is darker than my other cans, but that's not a bad thing, and as TheDeliveryMan said, they can get very loud without an amp.

Take care, though, if you wear glasses or have a large head. The fit is very tight and can border on painful unless you stretch them out with a stack of books or something.

Yes, that's also a concern of mine. I've heard that the HD25's are somewhat uncomfortable due to their tight fit in order to provide solid isolation, but I also wear glasses as well, so comfort is a big issue.

If I do buy the HD25's would simply stretching them out help with the comfort?

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 35
HD25's are fine with bass and being CLOSED u can be sure that Bass cannot be 'weak'.
As for Bose..i have never found them better than Sennheiser equivalent.

Yes, u ll have to keep them stretched over a tissue box or books or smthg to let them be more comfortable..otherwise they are little clampy.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by beg2differ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. Yes, I know the incredible bias that most people here at Head fi have of Bose, but I have to say the small demo I got to have with the Bose OE wasn't that bad at all.

I wouldn't say we are biased against Bose, just that we are being honest. We often bash the products of manufacturers we like, if it is warranted. Yes, some might not have heard or owned Bose products, and jump on the bashing bandwagon, but that is against the spirit of this site. If Bose is your sound, I can't degrade you in any way, as that is your preference. Just use your gut instinct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back