Sennheiser HD238 vs. Yuin PK3
Aug 11, 2009 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Blackwheel

100+ Head-Fier
How do these compare for portable use? I want something that's fairly portable and has a great sound stage. I am really prone to ear fatigue for some reason so I don't like an overly bright sound. Bass is important but it has to be punchy and accurate. So, what do you guys recommend? HD238, PK3, or something else entirely? Thanks.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Neither are especially bright, and both retain some bit of the dark signature (in HD238's case, in traditional Sennheiser sense), but not overly so. They both extend well in the highs and are sparkly, although HD238's obviously going to give you better soundstage and also have better instrument separation/positioning. Both punch and extend about the same amount in the bass and are fun to listen to. They're somewhat similar, actually, now that I think about it... I can definitely recommend both. So it'll come down to whether you want an earbud or a smaller portable headband headphone (Yuin is also much cheaper than the HD238 so that's another factor).

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply man. So it basically comes down to whether I want earbuds or headphones. It's hard choosing between the better soundstage of headphones and the convenience of smaller/ more portable earbuds.
confused_face_2.gif

I found the HD238 for $77 on Amazon. Is that a good price?

Oh, and I was also considering the PX 100. How do those compare?

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 6
That should be a decent price for the HD238's. I feel that they definitely perform better than their price point.

If you value sound over portability, then I'd pass on the PX100. They're more laid back and less extended version of the HD238's and sound wise the 238's are better in almost every way. Only advantage that PX100 has over the 238's is that they fold up and are smaller, making it bit more portable... but that's basically all I can think of (unless you want more of a laid back syrupy sound or something; and it sounds like you might).

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 6
I don't think the HD238 are a very good portable phone because they don't fold up. Also I think they are slightly too big to walk around in - you might get one or two strange looks.

The PX100 are also ~$40 cheaper than the HD238. That's somewhat significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back