Sennheiser HD201
Jun 26, 2005 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ls1powah

New Head-Fier
I wish to get rid of my IEMs (ER6) 'cos I'm too comfortable sticking things that deep into my ears.

I've been hearing lots about these HD201s, and at a measily $20 I'm thinking of picking up a pair (or two) for myself.

Do they benefit from an amp? I've got a pocketamp2v2.

How do they compare to Koss KSC-35s? No point having two cans sounding very similar.

Are they comfortable? They seem more comfortable than my KSC-35s, which clips are very annoying. Could I rest my head against the back of a chair/pillow with these on?

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 31
They are comfy and I believe you can rest your head on a pillow (as long as you dont turn to your side) since the 201s are relatively small.

If I can rest my head on a pillow with the HD555, I can certainly do the same with the much smaller HD201.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 31
I got to hear the 201s on some of Tyll Hertsens' new line of gear in the middle of June, and they were pretty impressive. They're light, comfortable, and sound like they cost 5x what they do. They are probably one of the best bargains out there, especially for only 20 bucks.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 31
They are quite good. Only caveat is that they arent the best if you want to eq and tip up the bass a bit. The drivers hit excursion point.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1powah
No point having two cans sounding very similar.

Please excuse my butting in on this thread with a useless comment, but,...

Somebody needs to tell me this, I clearly just don't get it!
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
They are comfy and I believe you can rest your head on a pillow (as long as you dont turn to your side) since the 201s are relatively small.

If I can rest my head on a pillow with the HD555, I can certainly do the same with the much smaller HD201.

I know I have read at least one person state here on the board that they were able to listen to the HD201 while resting on a pillow (face up, not sideways) without the pillow interfeering with the proper positioning of the hD201, sorry I don't remember who stated this.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
drivers hit excursion point.

Easily over Xmax-ed drivers, say it ain't so Joe, say it aint so.
eek.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Easily over Xmax-ed drivers, say it ain't so Joe, say it aint so.
eek.gif

'Tis true, 'tis true... sorry to mention it. A little tweak to the bass knob and I was greeted with "clattering" of the drivers.

However, they are very balanced throughout the spectrum, just that they dont respond very well to bass tip-upping.

tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 31
The Maxell HP550 [not worth over $8.00 shipped], suffers from the same tendency, although it really has less of a clattering or rattling but rather a complete lack of responce to EQing the bass up, its kind of like your efforts are just ignored.
rolleyes.gif
The HP550 and HD201 apear from MSRP and apperences as well as being a closed can to be aimed at the same market group, although the HD201 is more an audiophile's cheap closed can and the HP550 is a comfort seeking individuals cheap can, with sound coming in as a tertiary element or possibly even farthey back in prominenet succesion of qualitys of the HP550.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Somebody needs to tell me this, I clearly just don't get it!
tongue.gif

Hehe, I just think it's a waste, especially on such a strict budget like mine.

So, does anyone know if they sound similar or not?

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 31
I have the Koss Porta pros which have the same drivers as the KSC-35's IIRC. The HD 201's have a slight edge, IMHO.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 31
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm wondering how these sound though.

My experience with closed cans are very limited. I've heard the Beyerdynamic DT250s and they sounded too dark for me. Doesn't seem like a lot of detail. I know it's stupid to compare $150+ headphones to $20 ones, but I really prefer my KSC-35s to the DT250s.

Would I like the HD201s?

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 31
The only way to know that is to listen to them; while gathering opinions can be helpful to create a shortlist, ultimately, only you will know the answer to your question. At 20 bucks, the 201s don't present much of a risk... it would be like sacrificing a week of coffee at Starbucks.

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1powah
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm wondering how these sound though.

My experience with closed cans are very limited. I've heard the Beyerdynamic DT250s and they sounded too dark for me. Doesn't seem like a lot of detail. I know it's stupid to compare $150+ headphones to $20 ones, but I really prefer my KSC-35s to the DT250s.

Would I like the HD201s?

There's defintely roll-off. They can't be super detailed for the pricetag I suppose. I actually did a short listening comparison between the 35s and 201s once, and didn't find that either excelled over the other. Because they are open and airy in nature and up-front in sound, I think you'll be happier sticking with the KSCs.

If the 250s you sampled were the 80-ohm version, it's no big surprise. I actually bought and returned a pair myself. 250-250ohm version is supposed to have better extension.

If closed detail is what you desire, perhaps HD280, D66 eggos, or AKG?

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 31
Just had a pair of HD 201s arrive from Headroom today.

HOLY S***! Cheap, comfortable, and outstanding sound for the price! I think Sennheiser has set quite a benchmark for $20 cans. I'll be using these for many hours at a time at work. Now I need to figure out how to get velour pads on them. Does anyone think there might be a way to get HD 555/595 pads on the HD 201s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back