Sennheiser HD201 or AKG K81DJ?
Aug 19, 2006 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LuckyKarma

500+ Head-Fier
I posted another thread about good, closed dorm room headphones (to use when my roommate is studying so I won't bother him with the sound from my HD555s) but I can't decide between these two. I like the looks of the K81DJ and I'm sure the sound is probably better too, but the HD201s price is very appealing, and on headphonereviews there's only a .6 point difference between the two (K81DJ has a 5.8, the HD201 a 5.2). I'm just going to be using this with my iPod and my computers, unamped though I may invest in a small amp in the future or build a CMOY. Is the extra $50 worth it for the K81DJ, or should I go with the $20 HD201s?

Aug 19, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 10
You can get the K81DJ for under $50 with free shipping from Buy.com, so the price difference is $30 not $50. My vote is to go for it. The K81DJ is way fun to listen to, very well built, more portable than the Senn, and good looking. Plus it's got the easiest sound signature mod ever. So you basically get two headphones for your $50
wink.gif

Do it. It's well worth it.

Aug 19, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 10
haven't heard the K81DJ, but the HD201 is something I could definitely recommend on its own merits. They're a little bass shy and they prefer a source with some juice. Seems like everytime I put them on, they surprise me with their soundstage. Of course, I'm saying it's really good considering it's 20 bucks. Simply wonderful and a great impulse buy, but If the K81DJ is seriously within your budget and means, I suppose they are the ones to get. Simply because they are in that next class up.

I would personally get them out of curiosity and already having the HD201 (which I really think sounds great coming out of my vintage pioneer receiver.)

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
You can get the K81DJ for under $50 with free shipping from Buy.com, so the price difference is $30 not $50. My vote is to go for it. The K81DJ is way fun to listen to, very well built, more portable than the Senn, and good looking. Plus it's got the easiest sound signature mod ever. So you basically get two headphones for your $50
wink.gif

Do it. It's well worth it.

Wow, $50 is a great price on them, I was looking at amazon (where they are nearly $70), but it looks like Buy.com is out of stock
frown.gif
Any idea how long it usually takes them to restock?

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma
Wow, $50 is a great price on them, I was looking at amazon (where they are nearly $70), but it looks like Buy.com is out of stock
frown.gif
Any idea how long it usually takes them to restock?

Oh, my bad. I didn't know they were out of stock. I had just read about the deal in the K81DJ Thread. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 10
They were in stock up until I posted the coupon link and the updated price of $51.99 (down from $57.99) on buy.com in the Official K81DJ Thread. The vultures were just too quick last night. Hopefully for you, they re-stock before the end of August because that's when the coupon expires. My final price was $46.99 with free shipping.

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mykol
They were in stock up until I posted the coupon link and the updated price of $51.99 (down from $57.99) on buy.com in the Official K81DJ Thread. The vultures were just too quick last night. Hopefully for you, they re-stock before the end of August because that's when the coupon expires. My final price was $46.99 with free shipping.

that price would be incredible. I was actually planning on waiting a few days to order, so I can just get them delivered to my dorm (moving in next tuesday) so I won't have to go without them for a week, knowing they're here at home waiting on me. Thanks for the coupon link in the other thread though, $46.99 for these is sick
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 10
I have them both and I don't even bother to list the HD201 in my signature. The K81DJ is one of the best bang for the buck cans out there. Go for the extra $, doubt if you'll regret it.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma
that price would be incredible. I was actually planning on waiting a few days to order, so I can just get them delivered to my dorm (moving in next tuesday) so I won't have to go without them for a week, knowing they're here at home waiting on me. Thanks for the coupon link in the other thread though, $46.99 for these is sick
smily_headphones1.gif

They have been available (and still are) from an authorized dealer on ebay for $55 shipped Priority for months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back