Sennheiser HD201 Disappointment
Jan 13, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine today. I think they they're really not too bad. Thin sounding, but the bass isn't missing. Very light very compact and reasonably comfy. Reasonable isolation. As fine from an iPod as from a power amp, generally I think they're good beat around headphones. The cord is I think too long for portable use though. All in all good stuff especially given they're cheaper than a KSC-75 over this side of the pond. Not going to be a realistic option to stick SFI drivers in them though. Very curious driver housings.

How do they compare to the O2?
popcorn.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #17 of 32
The HD201 is the greatest trick played upon mankind since the Devil convinced us he didn't exist.

They SEEM like a good deal, $20 and all that, but the damned things REQUIRE an amp to sound even remotely decent. I used them with a bithead when they came out a few years ago, and despite my absolute adoration for said Bithead, it couldn't entirely redeem them (though it tried).

I gave them away. Though I feel like I should have paid the girl I gave them to for the disposal. Oh well, a few weeks later she dumped my friend and frankly, these may be divine justice for that.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 32
I got the 201's to hang at the PC so the kids could listen and I did not have to worry about my Sony N/C's. They Did and they broke so I found a deal on the 202's at Amazon for a five pack for around 80.00 I still have two of them and have given away the others. most of the people I've given them to are not audio anything let alone audiphiles but they are still blown away. Good bass, small, light, comfortable. and CHEAP What more can you ask for in a cheap can.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #19 of 32
Your desired solution is likely very simple-- the Sennys are well-known for being overly tight fitting at the beginning (better than loose, i say), simply put them around a basketball for a day or a bunch of books, ta da! Oh, and you really should have bought the 205's for a little more... best bang for the buck around imo.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #20 of 32
Ok, the Koss PortaPros should arrive on Jan 20th. I'm looking forward to it. 4 (now 3) more packages total to arrive in the next week...

I'll post here again once I have them in-hand, and then on-ear.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they compare to the O2?
popcorn.gif

Pah, the O2 is rubbish. The K1000 is a headphone
wink.gif

Not even the same planet as a proper headphone, nevermind the same ballgame. They're just what they are, not too bad but not awful, cheap closed headphones. For future reference I'd easily rather spend 2x as much for yet another Goldring DR-50 even without modding it which is easily more than 2x as good but notably less portable.

They're also better than 1/8th of the sucky HD280 for 1/8th of the price.

That said, can one really say that the O2 is better than 150x as good? And thats disinclusive of the amp.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the Koss PortaPros should arrive on Jan 20th. I'm looking forward to it. 3 more packages total to arrive in the next week...

I'll post here again once I have them in-hand, and then on-ear.
biggrin.gif

Lucky you. When i got my HD201 at the beginning of the "awesome" journey to sennheiser land some years ago, i had to stick with the sucker for some time since i didn't have the money to order something else. Boy,were those horrible days. They sounded lifeless to me, very uncomfortable and just strange sounding. I'm aware that they cost 20$ but you could get better sound from skullcandy for that money (been there too).
After buying/trying almost every famous/important model of sennheiser and disliking all, except for PX100 which are actually worth the price, my last hope is IE8. I just hope they've fired all the engineers and hired new ones for the new IE series, HD800 and every new model from now on.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 32
I think its unfair to be too critical of a $20 pair of headphones. I actually just saw these for $9.95 on Dakmart.com. I think they sound better than any other $20 headphone, so in their pricepoint, they're king! Would I listen to them on a daily basis? Nope. But that doesn't mean they're any less of a value.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 32
I just got the new Koss PortaPros. I'm eBaying the HD201s. Anyways--these are much smaller and should be more functional. I've not listened enough to decide good v. bad.

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #26 of 32
I've never been able to make me like the hd201,they are usable with some genres that do not require too much bass power, but I've found that they are very sibilant and ear-piercing (and I listen to metal too). But after all we cannot always expect that a 20$ headphone could sound seriously good. The worst thing about 201 is how they are difficult to drive. Now I only use them for casual movies watching.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #28 of 32
Sennheiser make a better entry level headphone...if for HD201 i would have never tried other Sennheiser headphone.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
The Good:
Overall good headphones for quality at the $20 price point. They sound very balanced to my ears. I'm driving them with Realtek ALC888 onboard sound (Abit IP35-E Rev1.01 motherboard), and they're pretty good. I'm happy with how dynamic these cans are. Iron Maiden sounds absolutely awesome on these cans. I listen to simply FLAC or Apple Lossless audio, and these things really kick ass. Beyond that, well-built for being plastic.

Dude these headphones suck my mom uses these I mean I hate to try and sound like a snob here I mean I don't pay more than $200 for my headphones, most of them are around $100. But these headphones are really bad haha I mean sennheiser's lower price headphones aren't that good I don't think. Atleast not these ones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back