Sennheiser HD200 Problem
Jan 11, 2007 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SmittyDJ

New Head-Fier
Hi don't know if anyone has posted this before or had this same problem and sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section. I'm new to this forum. Ok so heres the problem....I recently have had a problem with one of the ears on my Sennheiser's. I get no sound from this ear, no distortion or anything, completly dead. Ive tried taking the ear apart although there are no screws on the actual ear peice. I don't know how it has happend im guessing water or something has gone inside the headphones as i use my headphones in the garage outside. Does anyone know how i can solve this problem? I could try taking them apart to see if there is a loose wire or something maybe but not sure how to?

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks

Smitty

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 10
Given that it happened just out of the blue, I'm unsure. I'm going to hope you have a Digital Multimeter and know how to use it. I can think of a few possibilities for what might be the problem. It sounds like a big, clean break somewhere:

First off, check for continuity on the actual plug by touching one probe to the sleeve, and one to the tip (if there's a normal impedance, life is good.) Then measure from the sleeve to the middle ring (again, check for normal impedance.) If one of these leaves the DMM reading "1" or "OL" (something like that) then there's no continuity, and there's a break somewhere. If that's the case, then:

A. There's a break somewhere in the cable. It looks like the cable's modular, so it could be broken somewhere in there (chances are it would have been at an end). Try testing for continuity between both ends: If there's no continuity, then you have a bad cable.

B. The jack is broken inside the headphones themselves. If you can find a way to open them, then you'd be able to look. Test for continuity between the cable and the connections on the jack (hope that it's in plain sight, unlike on the higher-end Sennheisers where the whole driver unit pops out, which is a pain in itself.) If there's no continuity here, then you have a bad jack.

C. Somewhere else inside the headphones a break has formed. Check for continuity internally on the cable to the individual connections on the ears. Whichever one has no continuity is at fault.

D. The driver is dead. Like you said, using them in the garage may have caused something to happen to them. This is something that I can't exactly help you with. If you look for continuity across the driver itself, after verifying that the cables weren't broken, then something's broken inside the driver and I have no clue how to fix it. You'll need a new driver.

As far as opening them goes, given that they're a single-sided cable you'll probably run into a few issues. I can't help you much on that. If they're anything like my HD545s you have to very carefully pull U-shaped arm holding the individual ears in out of the sockets by carefully bending them outwards. Extra emphasis on the careful part, because breaking the U-piece would really suck.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I hope this helps.

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Thank you mate that has really helped me! I will try each tests which you have mentioned and hope it is one of them that is causing the problem. If not think i might have to take them to a record shop or send them to the supplier and hope they can help. Thanks again for finding time to reply, much appreciated

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi

My HD 200 did the same thing.

After inspection I found one lead wire had snapped from the tag/terminal (the ultra thin wire that goes to the coil). I managed to solder it to the tag/terminal and now it works again.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 10
I have two pairs of HD200 simply I love them too much. The build quality is questionable and the wires/cables are not tangle proof. My 2nd HD200 died of cable break again

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 10
I have the HD 200's and I like them. At one stage they stopped working and I bought another set of cheap Samson headphones. Eventually I got around to taking them apart and found that the cable connector had come loose inside one of the headphone capsules. I reconnected the clip and they were fine for a number of years. From memory, I opened the capsules with a butter knife! 

Now the main cable has broken and I need a replacement. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 10
this is ....hard to accept

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 10
The build quality is questionable and the wires/cables are not tangle proof. My 2nd HD200 died of cable break again
hDDnd7

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 10
I have three...it is time to move on..Sennheiser....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back