Sennheiser HD 800, Audeze LCD 2, Hifiman HE6
Aug 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hunter17

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

Just wondering which headphone would you guys recommend out of these 3? I have done some research and after comparing all 3 it's just hard to single out 1.

For example - HD 800 from what I have heard is amazing in terms of imaging/soundstage, but is too neutral and analytical which is a big turn off for me. On the other hand, LCD 2 has great warmth/soul to its sound, but is not really neutral and lacks dimension. Oh well, I'm puzzled.

Budget - Excluding the headphone, $2,000-2,500 max (AMP/DAC).

Music Type - Electronic, Classical, Jazz, Rock, Dubstep and PSY Trance (NO metal, hardstyle, techno, country, house, rap etc)

MISC - I want the headphone to be greatly detailed and transparent, but not too clinical and cold. Following are the amps I have taken into consideration -

1. Red Wine Audio Corvina
2. Woo Audio WA 2/ WA6-SE
3. Woo Audio WA22
4. Schiit Mjolnir

Any other recommended tube amp?

DAC - No idea. Haven't done any research.

Also, thanks in advance ->

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 15
Welcome to head-fi
Sorry about your wallet.

Before post: try filling your profile pointing which headphones you currently own/demoed/heard by yourself and AMPs

In any case: you don't need an expensive rig. Save your money bro. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Just wondering which headphone would you guys recommend out of these 3? I have done some research and after comparing all 3 it's just hard to single out 1.

For example - HD 800 from what I have heard is amazing in terms of imaging/soundstage, but is too neutral and analytical which is a big turn off for me. On the other hand, LCD 2 has great warmth/soul to its sound, but is not really neutral and lacks dimension. Oh well, I'm puzzled.

Budget - Excluding the headphone, $2,000-2,500 max (AMP/DAC).

Music Type - Electronic, Classical, Jazz, Rock, Dubstep and PSY Trance (NO metal, hardstyle, techno, country, house, rap etc)

MISC - I want the headphone to be greatly detailed and transparent, but not too clinical and cold. Following are the amps I have taken into consideration -

1. Red Wine Audio Corvina
2. Woo Audio WA 2/ WA6-SE
3. Woo Audio WA22
4. Schiit Mjolnir

Any other recommended tube amp?

DAC - No idea. Haven't done any research.

Also, thanks in advance ->

I'd avoid all three if that is what you want.  None of them fit your bill.  I suggest the  Fostex TH600, a heavily modded Denon D7000 or even an old JVC Victor 1000, which is basically the Denon D7000 with a laid back mid range.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 15
What did you hear the HD800 on? You can definitely coax it out of the neutral and analytical and into the 'musical' without losing it's great transparency and soundstaging. Maybe try a Burson Conductor as an all in one unit, or the V800/V200 combo a lot of HD800/LCD-s owners rave about. My .02.

-Daniel

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 15
I would go with the LCD-3 / Mojlnir / DAC??

+1 LCD-3 or for your types of music would be better.

especially electronic you can even consider HE-500 (maybe he-6 havent heard it tho) and also consider beyer t1 with woo audio 2 and some warm tubes (ts 7236 or 5998)

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

I'd avoid all three if that is what you want.  None of them fit your bill.  I suggest the  Fostex TH600, a heavily modded Denon D7000 or even an old JVC Victor 1000, which is basically the Denon D7000 with a laid back mid range.

1+

[size=10pt]I reach my D7000 ( with Lawton's Mod) more often that my LCD-3, which is no less than a [/size][size=10pt]masterpiece [/size][size=10pt]IMHO. But my modded D7000 is so sexy (with a slight U shape spectrum) that I literally cannot live without. :)[/size]

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
1+

[size=10pt]I reach my D7000 ( with Lawton's Mod) more often that my LCD-3, which is no less than a [/size][size=10pt]masterpiece [/size][size=10pt]IMHO. But my modded D7000 is so sexy (with a slight U shape spectrum) that I literally cannot live without. :)[/size]

You can do wonders with a $2k budget and the D7000 as your primary, especially a properly dampened and modded one.  The best setup for him through my ears would be:

New or used Fostex TH600 - $999 New or a bit less used or a used D7000 that was modded 
Used Burson HA160.  Not the new version, the original, as it has the best solid state sound staging qualities in its price tier - $400-600 depending on condition or if you can buy new
iBasso D42 Mamba Dac/portable amp - $188

Donate the rest of the budget left over to me.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 15
If it should be one of those 3: HD800s, Burson Conductor,  copper headphones cable, Anax mod (Tyll's version). That should solve the too neutral and analytical part. It will be slightly warm sounding. Throw in more copper cables in your system until you reach desired results.

Otherwise the LCD-3s and Burson Conductor.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
If it should be one of those 3: HD800s, Burson Conductor,  copper headphones cable, Anax mod (Tyll's version). That should solve the too neutral and analytical part. It will be slightly warm sounding. Throw in more copper cables in your system until you reach desired results.

Otherwise the LCD-3s and Burson Conductor.

+1
Or both HD800 and LCD3 with Burson Conductor :)) . They are very good as complementary headphones.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 15
I listen to lot of Psytrance (currently listening to IM BPEmpire) with LCD-2r2, Bryston BHA-1 and NAD M51 with Audiophilleo2 + PurePower from JRiver.

Absolutly Psytranstic! Deep, tight and fast bass. Lots of details without any harshness. Compared LCD-3 and LCD-2r2 for a week last year and prefered slightly the 2 , especially with that genre (Psytrance). Just more fun to listen to (better slam).

But that was with a different dac. The Wyred4Sound DAC-2. I will try another comparaison of these two headphones this fall.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 15
I listen to lot of Psytrance (currently listening to IM BPEmpire) with LCD-2r2, Bryston BHA-1 and NAD M51 with Audiophilleo2 + PurePower from JRiver.

Absolutly Psytranstic! Deep, tight and fast bass. Lots of details without any harshness. Compared LCD-3 and LCD-2r2 for a week last year and prefered slightly the 2 , especially with that genre (Psytrance). Just more fun to listen to (better slam).

But that was with a different dac. The Wyred4Sound DAC-2. I will try another comparaison of these two headphones this fall.
Nice little rig that.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #15 of 15
Maybe try a Burson Conductor as an all in one unit, or the V800/V200 combo a lot of HD800/LCD-s owners rave about.
8.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back