Sennheiser HD 700 vs HD 800 FOR (ME) THE NEWBIE
Apr 8, 2014 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Noah99

Moon Audio Ambassador
Hello Audiophiles,
For my first HiFi setup, I was considering purchasing the Sennheiser HD700 (From Crutchfield), Fiio X5 (when released), with the  ALO Audio Rx Mk3 B+ or possibly ALO Audio "The National Amp.

I keep on coming back to the thought that the Sennheiser HD 800 will be well worth the money. But that would mean that I would have to purchase the ALO Audio Rx Mk3 B+ at Christmas along with the Fiio X5, (Since I'm short on money).
I cant decide which to purchase for an ultimate at home HiFi Set up. I've visited J&R and tested out both headphones with my low quality apple iPod Touch 5th generation (w/ 44.Khz Flac files), Here are my thoughts of the Sennheiser HD800:
----------The HD 800 tore up the 44.Khz MP3 and FLAC file and spit it out like it was nothing, I could literally hear the notes in between the strings. While listening, I completely forgot to identify the bass, but the bass was warm and very forgiving. It was noticeable, don't get me wrong but it just wasn't as in your face as the treble was- but again the the treble and bass matched perfectly. The treble on these headphones sounded soooo faithful and forward. Every note plucked you could hear, and the decay was just amazing with the 56mm ring radiator and the Largest Dynamic Headphones Can  Diaphragm. The build was amazing as usual for Sennheiser products. It was constructed of a magnesium alloy for the frame, while the headband consisted of a multilayer vibration damping design. The cable on the HD800 was a very durable, well built silver plated oxygen free detachable (stock) headset cable.----------

If you know any high quality AMP w/ DAC then please tell me about the company and product
(Also, if anyone has any audiophile products for sale at a reasonable price that is related to those on this post, then please send me the info with pictures, specs, condition, and price......I live in northern virginia)

PS- This is an upgrade (for me) from the Bose QC20i, QC15 headphones, and iPod Touch 5th Generation 32gb to A COMPLETE SET UP OF AUDIOPHILE PRODUCTS, (and several years of successful research in headphones, amp, dac, cable, etc...)

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 15
There is an entire section of forum devoted to sale and trade of gear.

The HD 800 is worlds better than the HD 700.  You should probably start by reading about them, including their care and feeding here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD800

and

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD700

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 15
Thank you, but that is just a generalization for the HD 700 and HD 800. I am trying to figure out which one sounds more superior over the other in classical, rock, and jazz music.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 15
If you read to the bottom of the links that I provided, you will see where it specifically says what kinds of music each is best with.  That information is at the end of the analysis.

On a more personal note, I own both.  The HD 800 blows away the HD 700 in every category.  Only with acoustic music (and maybe very poor or compressed recordings) is the HD 700 even close to its big brother.

May 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 15
  If you read to the bottom of the links that I provided, you will see where it specifically says what kinds of music each is best with.  That information is at the end of the analysis.

On a more personal note, I own both.  The HD 800 blows away the HD 700 in every category.  Only with acoustic music (and maybe very poor or compressed recordings) is the HD 700 even close to its big brother.

I've heard that the HD800 is a lot pickier (and expensive) when it comes to amp pairings. Any truth to that? Also I know a lot of people complain about bass quantity on the 800, but not the 700. I would love to know what you think, cuz I can't help but think about my endgame rig, even though it'll be more than 5 years until I can get it XD

May 3, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 15
I agree that the HD 800 is pickier with amps than the HD 700.  However, I have not found that to be a major problem, especially if you have an amp budget that matches the level of can (flagship and #2 in the line) that we are discussing.  The most important thing is to stay away from bright amps with the HD 800.  Something like my Matrix M-stage is a bad match.  There is much discussion on these boards under the Summit-Fi and Equipment Forums on what amps pair well with the HD 800.  The second factor is that the HD 700 is a 150 Ohm can with slightly better sensitivity rating than the 300 Ohm HD 800.  So the HD 800 needs more power.  That said, the HD800 is not that difficult to power properly.

I don't understand anyone complaining about the bass of the the HD 800 in comparison to the HD 700.  The HD 800 bass is better in all respects.  What they might be saying is that they like the sound signature of the HD 700 better because it is not as bright.  Overall the HD 700 is a warmer headphone.

In summary I go back to what the Flagship piece to which I linked about says: "AMPING: Supposedly, the HD700 is much easier to drive than the HD800. This may be true in some ways, but I personally would probably rather listen to a poorly powered HD800 over a well-powered HD700."  I agree.

May 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 15
So, do you think the 700 is really worthy of #2 in the line? If so, I suppose that means the HD800 is just a huge jump up from everything else Sennheiser has to offer

May 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 15
  So, do you think the 700 is really worthy of #2 in the line? If so, I suppose that means the HD800 is just a huge jump up from everything else Sennheiser has to offer

I think the HD 700 needs to be reworked.  It has many good qualities, but also too many problem areas.  In the Senn line, the battle is not between the HD 700 and HD 800.  It's between the HD 700 and the earlier Senn flagships, the HD 600 & HD 650.

The HD 800 is one of the top cans on the market from any maker.  Many think it to be the best best, except for some very expensive electrotats--like Senns own out of production ORPHEUS.

May 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 15
For orchestral music, HD800 easily. It's the best there is, unless you enjoy the dark Audeze sound.

I'm not sure why the M-Stage is such a popular pairing if it's bright (besides its being cheap).

May 5, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 15
Well, another factor to consider is that the HD800 is noticeably brighter than the HD700. The bright trebles might not suit everyone.

May 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 15
My Sennheiser HD800 with Grado mini adapter just shipped and will be here from crutchfield in TWO DAYS!!!
The only problem is that I wont be able to buy a DAC/AMP combo until the next winter.
So I will be burning them in with 48hours of pink noise and the rest will be on shuffle from my Fujitsu laptop.

NOW ITS TIME TO PURCHASE AN ENTIRE NEW DIGITAL HIGH RES FLAC MUSIC LIBRARY!!!!!

May 6, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 15
Great choice! I guess the only thing to say now is: sorry for your wallet. :D

Oh and don't forget to post your impressions!

May 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 15

Is this your first hifi setup? if so, I envy your ability to jump straight to Summit-fi
Happy listening :)
edit: I forgot what was written in the original post... Nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back